Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 04-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Flacco wants extension now: 'I deserve it'

Flacco wants extension now: 'I deserve it'
Posted on: April 2, 2011 1:38 pm
Posted by Will Brinson

Joe Flacco's in a pretty good situation, as the Ravens always have a strong defense, they've got a good running game, and they seem willing to go out and get him weapons in the receiving game. But, man, things are tense around Baltimore this offseason, and Flacco's recent comments about wanting an extension now -- rather than after 2011 -- shouldn't help much.

"I think I've established myself," Flacco told Jamison Henley of the Baltimore Sun during a Japanese relief charity event hosted by Haruki Nakamura on Saturday. "If you're not confident with who I am, I'm not sure what a year is going to make."

Flacco had similarly strong words for the Ravens when they decided to let his quarterback coach Jim Zorn go after the 2010 season, and now there's more reason to suspect that there's a bit of discord among the people in charge of running the Ravens' offense.

"Ideally for me, I would like to do something as soon as possible because I feel like I deserve it," Flacco said. "If you don’t feel like I'm going to be your quarterback for the next 10 years, what's one year going to make. I don't know what the deal is. We'll have to let this play out and see."

All of that speculation is completely pointless if Flacco can progress in 2011, his fourth year with the club.

"I would feel that after three years, you can make a decision on whether you want me to be your future quarterback or whether you don't. It's your decision," Flacco said. "I wish and hope they would do what they want me to do, which is stay here. Obviously, I want to stay here no matter what. I would want them to do something as early as possible."

Of course, the Ravens decide to "pull an Andy Reid" and draft a quarterback early in the upcoming NFL Draft. If they do that, there's plenty of questions about Flacco's future with the franchise that will be asked.

And though there's no real indication that the Ravens are interested in making such a move, their unwillingness to commit to Flacco until after the 2011 season gives everyone -- including Flacco -- reason to pause.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Default Re: Flacco wants extension now: 'I deserve it'

"Hi, my name is Joe Flacco and I would like to sing all of you wonderful Ravens' fans a nice song. Let me just tune up my voice a little."

"Ahem! ME, ME, ME, ME, ME, ME, MEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I love it!

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
Wallace108

Member Number:

I hope a certain Ravens fan shows up so we can discuss this civilly.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

The Ravens would be really stupid not to extend Flacco. He's the best QB they've had in their history. McNair in his prime was better, but by the time he got to Baltimore his best days were behind him. Flacco can be a top 10 QB in this league and I'd put him around 12-15 right now. In 3 years he's been pretty solid. Nothing spectacular, but he can improve. He's choked a little in the big games. They'd be smart to lock him up for 5 or 6 years at 8 mil per if they can get it done.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,023 Times in 3,356 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

he didn't win shit yet, he's gonna be the next tony romo. plays good in the regular season but chokes in the postseason
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
steelax04
Head Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

Why does he want an extension all of a sudden with the lockout? Doesn't he realize that no one is getting an extension right now?
steelax04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,121 Times in 1,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
The Ravens would be really stupid not to extend Flacco. He's the best QB they've had in their history. McNair in his prime was better, but by the time he got to Baltimore his best days were behind him. Flacco can be a top 10 QB in this league and I'd put him around 12-15 right now. In 3 years he's been pretty solid. Nothing spectacular, but he can improve. He's choked a little in the big games. They'd be smart to lock him up for 5 or 6 years at 8 mil per if they can get it done.
2 words....Carson....Palmer
like you pointed out , flacco has been ok , but not great. so how should he be paid ? like an ok QB that he has been , or like an elite QB which i'm sure he thinks he is ?
the bungholes gave carson the "elite QB " contract , has he lived up to it ?
if i'm the ratbird brass , i'd be wanting that one more year to evaluate.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts

Flacco not getting much support in Baltimore regarding his contract demands- pretty clear his record against the Steelers is not regarded as a big plus

Whenever the lockout is lifted, the Ravens will have to scramble to re-sign their free agents and fill holes with new players in free agency. Once that is done, defensive tackle Haloti Ngata, whom the team gave the franchise tag designation to a couple of months ago, is first in line when it comes to negotiating an extension....

Even if we weren't stuck in a lockout, I'd still think the Ravens would be doing the right thing if they put off extension talks until next season. The team is still trying to figure out what they have in Flacco. He has proven that he is a good starter and a top-10 quarterback. But there are questions about his ability to deliver in the playoffs, something he has yet to do (but he is just three years into his career, so he still has plenty of time).

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...,5546563.story
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
Farrior_roirraW
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12978

Good stuff.

"I am proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it. I was born to be a Steeler." - Farrior
Farrior_roirraW is offline   Reply With Quote