Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,130 Posts
My Mood: Relaxed
Default Government shutdown looming today

Democrats agree to $38B in cuts; riders still in play
Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz1IwVYZTeR

By JAKE SHERMAN | 4/8/11 9:12 AM EDT Updated: 4/8/11 10:34 AM EDT

The government will shut down today, unless Republicans do what their base loathes, but Washington knows is necessary: strike a compromise with Democrats and President Barack Obama.

That’s what it comes down to Friday, as the current stopgap funding measure expires at midnight, placing the immediate employment of 800,000 workers in jeopardy, and both political parties at huge risk a year and a half before a presidential election.

Obama, who made a late public entry into the fight, said he expects “an answer in the morning” from Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) as to whether Congress can agree on how many tens of billions of dollars should be cut from federal ledgers from now until the end of September.

On Friday morning, Reid told reporters that the latest number floated was $78 billion in cuts from Obama’s fiscal 2011 proposal — or about $38 billion in real cuts.

Staff negotiators worked until 3 a.m. Friday, and all sides seem to indicate they are very close to a final number in terms of cuts, but the negotiations continue to be hung up on social policy riders, most notably funding for Planned Parenthood.

Republicans continue to insist on cutting off funds for Planned Parenthood, turning the battle to fund the government into part of the overarching culture war on Capitol Hill. Republicans say bringing Planned Parenthood into the fray is a spending issue, as they told voters they’d concentrate on jobs and the economy, not cultural issues.

Michael Steel, a spokesman for Boehner, said, “While nothing will be decided until everything is decided, the largest issue is still spending cuts. The American people want to cut spending to help the private sector create jobs – and the Democrats that run Washington don’t.”

Boehner would not say definitively whether he was willing to shut the government down over certain riders. “We’re going to continue to work our way through all of this and there’s no reason to draw any lines in the sand to make this more difficult than it already is,” he said.

Republicans have offered the president and Democrats $39 billion in cuts, including slashes to the Pentagon. Democrats are calling for $34.5 billion in – a major concession – but appear to be resisting limitations on abortion funding.

Boehner will face the members of his House Republican Conference Friday afternoon over pizza in the basement of the Capitol. With no other major legislation pending – the House was scheduled to be out Friday – spending is sure to be the topic.

He’ll be confronted by a conference filled with neophyte politicians who seem to see any capitulation as breaking a promise they made to voters. Top GOP aides are split on whether they’d be able to pass a figure in the neighborhood of $39 billion, noting it’s completely dependent on what riders end up in the legislation.

Several sources say language could be added into the bill to limit how Title X funding could be spent.

Republicans want to pass any funding agreement with the support of their own members without having to rely on Democratic votes. Should they complete that daunting task, Boehner will emerge from this funding skirmish as a victor; if Democrats are needed to pull the measure across the finish line, his hand is weakened.

“I think we’re very close,” Rep. Steny Hoyer, the House minority whip, told NBC’s “Today” Friday morning. “I think we’ve come 70 percent of the way in terms of dollars. That’s a long way to go in trying to reach compromise.”

House Republicans Thursday passed a one-week extension for federal funding that cuts $12 billion from spending, but funds the Defense Department for the remainder of the fiscal year.

Senate Democrats put that measure on the calendar, but are more likely to amend it and send it back to the House if a deal is not reached.

House Appropriations Chair Hal Rogers (R-Ky.) has said that he would pass a short-term, clean extension of government funding if a deal was in the offing.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=1295313365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Default Re: Government shutdown looming today

What a bunch of douchebags. Seriously. And I can't believe the Republicans are going to make me defend Democrats.

The GOP is willing to shut down the government over $300 million for an organizati­on that provides cervical pap smears, cancer testing, counseling and contracept­ive services for millions of women. If $300 million is such an issue, let's see where else we could recover it.

$300 million is just 0.1% of the amount of corporate tax breaks enjoyed by Fortune 100 companies every year.

$300 million would cover the costs for just ONE DAY of the wars in Iraq and Afghanista­n

$300 million covers just TWO DAYS of the cost of the failed War on Drugs

$300 million covers just ONE DAY of federal subsidies to Big Agricultur­e

$300 million represents barely 10% of what the taxpayer gives to "faith based" organizati­ons every year (question for conservati­ves who don't want their tax dollars going to women's health organizati­ons they disagree with...wh­y should MY tax dollars go to churches that I disagree with?)

Just a few examples for anybody who thinks this has anything to do with the budget. This is simply one more instance of the GOP using its power to wage war on Americans it doesn't like.

On top of that, part of what will happen if the government does get shutdown, is that military pay will be delayed. I am not in favor of many of the governments decisions to go to war, but that does not mean I don't have a ton of respect for the men and women in the military and their families.

Of course though, as is typical with our government, they are not looking at the bigger picture.

I'm just pissed at this stupid bullshit.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=1295313365
Old 04-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
steelax04
Head Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

I think what takes the cake is that this is an argument over THE CURRENT YEAR'S spending... they haven't even started fighting over next year's budget.
steelax04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,008 Times in 1,701 Posts

now what part of our budget is bloated ?

seriously , i'm all for a good strong military for DEFENSE, BUT do we really need to spend that freakin much ? probably half that money is being stolen by corrupt politicians that are in bed with contractors like haliburton ( i'm looking at you bush and cheney ) raytheon, lockheed martin , etc.
the F-35 program has been nothing but a HUGE F'n money pit. China and Russia combined don't even spend 1/4 as much as we do on their military , but yet they're the huge threat that they use to justify the budget.
if those jack asses in washington would change their foreign policies we wouldn't have a need for all this military spending.
how has all that spending helped out with fighting a bunch of poor uneducated poppy farmers in afghanistan that have only RPG's an AK 47's ? would a 2 trillion dollar budget get us over the hump and bring that mess to an end ?

i'm tellin ya folks... we are being F'ed over like no people in history has been F'ed over before.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by MasterOfPuppets; 04-08-2011 at 02:20 PM.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

hey here's a thought ... collect the billion dollars in unpaid taxes from federal employees..
Quote:
Tax Scam Uncle Sam? You Oughta Be Fired! Says Utah Rep. Chaffetz

Working for Uncle Sam comes with some great perks, like job stability, posh benefits packages, and in many cases, average salaries that are higher than what the same job pays in the private sector.
That's why Republican Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, is irked that nearly 100,000 civilian federal employees owe the IRS $962 million in back taxes. He thinks they should pay up or be fired.
Chaffetz has introduced a bill that calls for the federal government to "ferret out" civilian employees who have "seriously delinquent tax debt" and prevent the hiring of other tax delinquents.
More than 3 percent of the 2.8 million federal civilian employees owed the Treasury unpaid federal income taxes in 2008, according to the IRS. If you include retirees and military service members, the numbers go from nearly 100,000 up to 276,000 current or former workers who owe $3 billion in taxes.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Tax/1...ry?id=10125860

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

There are no words to describe how absolutely angry this makes me. I talked to my cousin a little while ago (whose husband is in Afghanistan right now), and she is literally freaking out. They have 3 children and she is 100% dependent on his pay. As a family, we'll all do what we can to help her and the kids...but there are so many people who won't have that luxury.

People with regular jobs do crazy things over messed up pay...and they want to tell the military, who they've trained to kill, that they're not paying them their full checks, or anything at all?

They must be really confident in their bodyguards.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

well the good news , congress will STILL be collecting their checks ...

hell they'll probably vote themselves a raise with all the extra money they'll have since nobody else gets paid.