Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-07-2011, 01:20 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default The Danny Watkins Fascination

The Danny Watkins Fascination
Posted on April 6, 2011 by adam
http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/0...s-fascination/

If you’ve been paying attention to the endless stream of mock drafts floating around the Internet over the past couple of months there’s a good chance you’ve stumbled across one that featured the Steelers using their first-round pick on Baylor guard Danny Watkins. We’ve talked about this quite a bit, and as long as it keeps coming up we’ll continue to laugh at it. The latest expert to send Watkins in Pittsburgh’s direction: Mel Kiper’s arch-nemesis at ESPN, Todd McShay.

Said McShay (it’s an Insider article behind their pay wall): What do you think the Las Vegas odds would have been at the start of the 2010 season that Baylor would have back-to-back picks in the first round? In all seriousness, Watkins is solid in pass protection and as a run blocker and brings a nasty disposition to the table. He would be a nice fit next to 2010 first-rounder and Pro Bowler Maurkice Pouncey. The Steelers could also opt for a cornerback like Williams or Harris, but the interior offensive line is Pittsburgh’s top need.

I’m guessing the odds of Baylor players going back-to-back (he has the Jets taking defensive tackle Phil Taylor with the pick just before the Steelers) in the first round are better than that of the Steelers using their top pick on a 26-year-old (who will turn 27 during the season) guard.

For one, here’s a quick look at the age of every Steelers first round draft pick since 2000 during their rookie season:

Maurkice Pouncey (21), Ziggy Hood (22), Rashard Mendenhall (21), Lawrence Timmons (21), Santonio Holmes (22), Heath Miller (22), Ben Roethlisberger (22), Troy Polamalu (22), Kendall Simmons (23), Casey Hampton (23), Plaxico Burress (22).

Since Mike Tomlin has been the Steelers’ head coach the first-round picks have consistently been on the lower side of 22. All young. All athletic. All with rather large upside. I’m not saying that Watkins can’t possibly get any better than he already is — he has, after all, only played football for three years — but how much upside does he really have at this point?

If he were to join the Steelers roster for the 2011 season he would be older than the following the players on the day he arrived, before he suited up for one practice: Dennis Dixon, Jonathan Dwyer, Rashard Mendenhall, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Mike Wallace, David Johnson, Doug Legursky, Maurkice Pouncey, Ramon Foster, Chris Scott, Ziggy Hood, Steve McClendon, Stevenson Sylvester, Lawrence Timmons, Jason Worilds, Crezdon Butler, William Gay, Keenan Lewis, Ryan Mundy.

He would also be older than Limas Sweed, Ra’shon Harris and Tyler Grisham, and within weeks of Tony Hills and Isaac Redman. Needless to say, that’s a large chunk of the roster and practice squad.

I suppose it’s possible the Steelers could value Watkins and be willing to overlook his age, but it would represent quite a shift in drafting strategy (at least as far as the first round is concerned).

I’m betting against it.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:54 AM   #2
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Re: The Danny Watkins Fascination

i would grab him in a second if he fell to us in round 2 but no way would i grab him in the 1st
Old 04-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,298 Times in 1,827 Posts

if they think he's starting material ( like pouncey ) from day one , why not ? as long as he could be a solid contributor for 6 or 7 years , go for it. some of these guys are 26...27 before they crack the starting line up anyway .

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
Navy86
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18326

I just don't see the Steeler's, or any other team for that matter, picking a 26 year old in Rd 1. Rd 2, yes. I just think there is too much "focus", for lack of better term, on first round picks. It's interesting to note that if a team picks Watkins in the 1st, they'll talk about "how you can use a Rd 1 pick on a 26 YO", but if he is chosen in the second, he'll be a "great bargain". If the Steelers really want him over other available players, trade down into Rd 2 and pick him up there.
Navy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

I really don't think the Steelers have a need at guard. Legursky made a name for himself and they have about 10 other guys who have played the position. OT is where their need is. How happy were we with the play of the guys that backed up Starks? If Starks has an issue with his neck or Flozell goes down, who's the reliable back-up? And who's the long term answer to those guys? My prediction is Colon never plays to the level he was at prior to his injury. So I would think OT is a much greater need than RG. So the talk of taking an old guy as a 1st rounder don't even get off the ground with me.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote