Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-12-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default More evidence Steelers need CB help

More evidence Steelers need CB help
April, 11, 2011 Apr 11 4:00 PM ET
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...s-need-cb-help

By James Walker
With the reigning AFC champion Pittsburgh Steelers thin at cornerback and Ike Taylor about to hit free agency, we have more statistical evidence why it's vital for Pittsburgh to address this need in the offseason.

NFL TRENDS

Percentage of offensive snaps with three or more wide receivers and defensive snaps with three or more cornerbacks.

Year 3+ WRs 3+ CBs
2010 48.2 48.5
2009 46.1 44.9
2008 45.7 43.4

Source: ESPN Stats & Information
According to ESPN's Stats and Information, NFL offenses are increasingly using three or more receivers, which dictates personnel on defense. In 2010 teams lined up three or more receivers on offense 48.2 percent of the time, up from 46.1 percent in 2009 and 45.7 percent in 2008.

As a result, defenses needed to use three or more cornerbacks on 48.5 percent of snaps last season. For Pittsburgh, that means some combination of backups William Gay, Anthony Madison and Crezdon Butler would need to see the field on nearly half of the defense's plays.

The Green Bay Packers, who run a West Coast offense, won Super Bowl XLV in February primarily by utilizing multiple-receiver sets to take advantage of Pittsburgh's lack of secondary depth. Passing teams like the New Orleans Saints and New England Patriots also were able to expose this weakness last season.

Thanks to various rule changes the past several years, it's harder than ever to defend the pass, and it's up to the Steelers to adjust. Pittsburgh rarely uses first-round picks on cornerbacks because its primary focus is dominating the line of scrimmage. But statistical evidence suggests the Steelers might want to reconsider and invest more resources into pass defense.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Re: More evidence Steelers need CB help

we do need a CB but there is no way were taking one in the 1st. unless we traded up for Smith who i personally think will be better then Prince there isnt another corner who is 1st round material when we choose. i think we will grab one in the 2nd then again in the later rounds
Old 04-13-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
taztroy43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13325
Default Re: More evidence Steelers need CB help

IMO i think Prince would be a better fit in our defense because Smith tends to be more of a finess type of player....and there is no way I would touch Smith with all those off the field issues and distrations!!! there is just no way... Smith=Talib......yeah I would rather have Amukamara any day....and he fits better in our system than Smith IMO....shoot...I would even take Dowling or Brown over Smith.....but thats just me....
taztroy43 is offline   Reply With Quote