Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-15-2006, 10:06 PM   #1
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031
Default Don't forget about Nate.....

Has Nate Washington's opportunity arrived?

PITTSBURGH – The best player on the practice field Monday just wanted to make sure no one had forgotten about him.

Obviously, Nate Washington had little to cheer about on draft day. The Pittsburgh Steelers drafted wide receivers in the first and third rounds, and here Washington had been thinking he was the young receiver to fill the void left by Antwaan Randle El.

Hadn’t Washington shown enough promise last preseason? Hadn’t he made everyone forget he was an undrafted rookie out of Tiffin by making two big plays in the AFC Championship game?

“I’m not going to lie. I was kind of down,” Washington said of the day the Steelers drafted Santonio Holmes and Willie Reid. “Then I started looking at the bigger picture. Even if they didn’t draft those guys, I was going to have to do my part. That’s still going to have to work out that way. My first reaction was that I was kind of down, but I kept working every day as hard as I would have if they didn’t draft them.”

Washington went to see receivers coach Bruce Arians about his situation. Where did he fit?

“He told me I was going to be in the slot and I was going to be the No. 3 as of right now,” Washington said. “He said that he’d be looking for me to step up and get into the offense.”

That’s what happened Monday. Working as the No. 3 receiver, Washington caught two deep bombs among other receptions at the fifth and final minicamp practice. He beat Ricardo Colclough with a double move on the first one; he beat free safety Ryan Clark on the second one after reading the defense and making an adjustment.

“It was supposed to be a middle post route but it turned into a seam with the defense we were facing,” Washington said.

Was the performance a statement that the kid from Tiffin was no fluke last preseason?

“Actually,” Washington said, “I messed up so bad the other day that I had to make up for it. But, you know, this showed them that I can play that position at the slot and they can count on me. That was what I really focused on today, to let them know that even though they’ve got me at the three-position that I’m not going to relax. I’m still trying to learn and get better each day.”

Washington is a smooth-striding, sticky-fingered receiver with a knack for finding openings in the defense. Last preseason, Washington led the Steelers with eight catches for 108 yards. He played in only one regular-season game and didn’t catch a pass, but after Quincy Morgan broke his leg in the first playoff game Washington stepped in. Against Denver, in the AFC Championship game, he caught a third-and-7 pass for 13 yards and broke up an interception on the Steelers’ opening field-goal drive.

“It was definitely a big boost,” Washington said. “It was also a sigh of relief. Whew! But I’ve got to go up now. I can’t go back down. Yeah, it was a sigh of relief.”

It’s obvious Washington is a more confident receiver than he was a year ago.

“Last year I just wanted to prove to the team I could play on this level,” Washington said. “But now I want to prove to the NFL I can play on this level. I want to show the whole world that small-school guys can do this.

“My work’s not done. I’m still learning. I’m still trying to get better. Now, as soon as I mess up I know it. But I’m definitely getting more comfortable with the offense and starting to read the defenses. I’m making better adjustments now that I know how everything’s working.”

NOTES – The Steelers begin coaching sessions Wednesday. It will be the first of 14 voluntary practices that conclude June 8. Rookies Santonio Holmes, Mike Kudla and Marvin Philip will miss most, if not all, of the sessions because their senior classes have not graduated. Tight end Jon Dekker’s class has not graduated at Princeton, but he has and is eligible to continue practicing.

By: Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsiders.com
Date: May 15, 2006

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:17 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Don't forget about Nate.....

This is tough. I still feel Quincy Morgan can be a very good WR for this team. Throw in Santonio Holmes and I don't know what that means for Nate Washington. How many WR's do we expect to carry? Here's a WR list heading into camp............

Wide Receivers (12) -- Santonio Holmes (5-11, 189); Quincy Morgan (6-1, 215); Willie Reid (5-10, 186); Walter Young (6-4, 220); Isaac West (6-0, 187); Cedrick Wilson (5-10, 183); Sean Morey (5-11, 200); Eugene Baker (6-1, 167); Nate Washington (6-1, 185); Hines Ward (6-0, 205); Lee Mays (6-2, 193); Adam Herzing (6-3, 190).

I think it's safe to say that Mays, West, Herzing, Baker and Young will not make the roster. That leaves seven WR's left even though Morey is considered a ST's player. That leaves Morgan, Wilson, Ward, Holmes, Washington and Reid. I think this position battle will be very interesting to keep a watch on, not only during camp but also as the season progresses.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 05-16-2006 at 03:42 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:56 AM   #3
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Hey may the best man win, its a no lose situation for us, get on the field and bring your A game to make this team.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:11 AM   #4
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
Hey may the best man win, its a no lose situation for us, get on the field and bring your A game to make this team.
Yup...this is great problem to have.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:47 AM   #5
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

I like what i saw in Nate, and i think that bye the end of the season or maybe next year Holmes will be number 2 and Nate will be number 3
Old 05-16-2006, 11:14 AM   #6
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

I've been pulling for Washington since he got here... Tiffin recruits a lot of athletes from my high school.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:29 PM   #7
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

The good thing is, if Nate is not able to make the team, then we must have a pretty descent receiving corp.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:03 PM   #8
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305

I am sure Washigton will make the team.. I thin Morgan should as well. The tricky part is Morey and Reid cause they probably wont be used much .. Morgan depending on his leg heals may be odd man out by the time the season starts.. will be interesting to see what happens. I really like all of our guys - Mays
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:06 PM   #9
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Like BB2W, I've been rooting for Nate. I have liked what I have seen and hope he makes the team. It's going to be interesting what WR's make the team since we have a lot in camp.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote