Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-16-2006, 05:14 AM   #1
Ohio Steeler
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2142
Default Reggie

ok how do you guys feel about Reggie trying to get the NFL to let him wear the number he has had since he started playing pop-warner football #5. I myself am ok with it after all it is a low number and I dont get the no single numbers rule for RB's in the NFL.. I could see if it was in the 50' or 60's or higher but 5 come on NFL let it go...
Old 05-16-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2268
Default Re: Reggie

If its ok for him to change # then ever one should be able to if they want.

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
ARKIESTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:25 PM   #3
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

I like the designated numbers for each position and I don't think he should be allowed to be an exception to the rule. There were a lot of players that came before him that would have liked to keep their number...

I think the NFL numbers look a lot more uniform and organized than the NCAA. I like the look of the players at the skilled positions that wear the single digit numbers, but sometimes it just seems unorganized.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:11 PM   #4
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I think if they let him do it,then they should just get rid of the whole designated number system.He's no more special than anyone else in the league,hell he hasn't even proved he can do anything at this level yet.

If he wants the number 5 on his jersey so bad,then he should just take 25.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:08 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,794 Times in 4,466 Posts

sure the nfl doesnt want to set a prescedent, but the nfl owes the city of new orleans one, for they way they jobbed them after the hurricaine. bush has said he would donate 25% of all jersey sales to the relief effort. this would be about $250,000- half a mil. a 1 time exemption is in order.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:15 PM   #6
boLT fan
Team Captain

Member Number: 901

This is the National Football League, not the Reggie Football League. Change your number, don't start out your career by being a prick.
boLT fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:57 PM   #7
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
sure the nfl doesnt want to set a prescedent, but the nfl owes the city of new orleans one, for they way they jobbed them after the hurricaine. bush has said he would donate 25% of all jersey sales to the relief effort. this would be about $250,000- half a mil. a 1 time exemption is in order.
How does the NFL owe New Orleans anything?They didn't get jobbed at all,there was no way they could play games in the Big Easy.

The first "home" game being against the Giants in Giants stadium wasn't the best idea,but what ya gonna do on such short notice?Last season the Saints ended up being a foster child shuffled from "home" to "home".It's not the NFL's fault Katrina ravaged New Orleans and made the Superdome unfit for football or even to be a place of shelter for the people of New Orleans.

And there is nothing the NFL can really do if Tom Benson wants to look into moving the Saints to San Antonio,LA,or to Bangc*ck if he really wanted to.If the owners majority vote to let him,he can.It's his team,it's his to do with what he wants.

Players know when they enter college that the NFL only allows speceific positions to wear specefic numbers.Most of them know this in middle and high school.This could all be avoided by just choosing a traditional number to begin with.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:13 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,794 Times in 4,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer
How does the NFL owe New Orleans anything?They didn't get jobbed at all,there was no way they could play games in the Big Easy.

The first "home" game being against the Giants in Giants stadium wasn't the best idea,but what ya gonna do on such short notice?Last season the Saints ended up being a foster child shuffled from "home" to "home".It's not the NFL's fault Katrina ravaged New Orleans and made the Superdome unfit for football or even to be a place of shelter for the people of New Orleans.

its not the nfl's fault 9/11 happened. yet they were able to cancel a whole weekends worth of games. the nfl couldve easilly rescheduled the saints giants game to ba a thanksgiving day game played in baton rouge or something. regardless all the players and the organization felt jobbed. the nfl could bend the rules on a freaking number this one time if the procedes are gonna go to the city of n.o. especially if they can let keyshawn choose what number he will wear and t.o. choose what team he will play for.

and its not the fact that the saints only had 7 home games, its the fact that the nfl tried to shove it down their throat that a game in giants stadium was to be a home game. i mean call it what it is and dont insult the players intelligence. if the nfl had no better solution they shouldve sacked up and told it how it was. the saints would have 7 "home" games and 9 away games.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:33 PM   #9
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031

The NFL is a new chapter in his life so he should pick a number for a RB. Hes a good athlete but hes not special nor is anyone for that matter to be able to pick his own number. If hes going to be great then people will notice his NFL number and go by that.

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:07 PM   #10
Ohio Steeler
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2142

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELMAN
The NFL is a new chapter in his life so he should pick a number for a RB. Hes a good athlete but hes not special nor is anyone for that matter to be able to pick his own number. If hes going to be great then people will notice his NFL number and go by that.

I agree with that however as a football player I understand why he wants the number he has had since day 1 of playing football