Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers Top 10 NFL Draft Successes In Kevin Colbert Era: No. 10 - Antonio Brown, 6th

Steelers Top 10 NFL Draft Successes In Kevin Colbert Era: No. 10 - Antonio Brown, 6th Round 2010
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...fl-draft-busts

by Michael Bean on Apr 5, 2011 4:35 AM EDT

SB Nation and Bud Light are teaming up to promote a draft prediction contest. Information about where to find details can be found at the end of the post. But in case you hadn't caught wind of it, Bud Light is ponying up $10 million bucks for anyone who has 20/20 vision about the upcoming 2011 NFL Draft. Obviously your odds are worse than Ricardo Colcloguh's NFL ability, but still, $10 million bones is no joke. You've got to throw your name in the hat for that kind of loot.

I can't say with a straight face that I've been enamored by every last sponsorship deal this past year, but I'm actually pleased and excited to be partnering for a short campaign with Bud Light. Even though I may have stopped drinking their beer with any sort of regularity back in, oh, 11th or 12th grade, I respect their marketing and advertising efforts. They've always stayed true to the 'silly is always better' motif. Or maybe said differently, I like that they'd rather try to make me laugh than try to make me yearn for some totally ridiculous imaginary lifestyle associated with a product that's all about unwinding and being yourself around close friends and family. At least that's how I've perceived the majority of their campaigns over the years.

It's fairly rare that I don't want to sew my head to the carpet or kick in my walls after watching most commercials. It's seriously hard to comprehend how executives of certain companies are pitched ideas by their hack creative teams and say 'YEP! That's the one!'. How about Coke Zero for example? Are you kidding me? "Da da da da da da?" Criminal. The entire group responsible for that garbage should be fired, and the management who gave the green light to run it not only for one or two cycles, but for multiple years should also be thrown out with the trash.

Rest assured you won't be subjected to my rambling about marketing in the forthcoming series of posts I just like to write though, so it's hard to stay on point sometimes!

Where was I?

Ah yes, the new campaign will run for the next 20 days, with one post per day during the business week starting on Monday, and continuing through the second day of the 2011 NFL Draft. Over that time span, we'll be running down the Top 10 Draft Busts and Top 10 Draft Successes by the Pittsburgh Steelers.

What time frame you might ask? Good question. I wish I was well versed enough in Steelers history to take this back 40 years or so when the Steelers started to get serious about investing in college scouting. But the fact of the matter is that I'm not. Furthermore, if you go back that long, it's hard to really differentiate between the multitude of candidates for 'worst' and 'best' picks. Throw in the fact that there was no free agency back then, seemingly 39 rounds in the Draft, and a whole host of other apples-to-oranges factors, and suddenly things get messy. Anyway, knowing you all, the conversation will be extended by y'all anyway over all sorts of different time periods. I look forward to reading and learning from that work, in fact :)

But I'm going to stick to what I know and keep things more simple and limit it to the past 10 years since Kevin Colbert took over the reigns from Tom Donahue as the team's director of football operations back in 2000. I reserve the right to change my mind on Tuesday, but let's start with the 'successes' first before turning our attention to the 'busts'. Something tells me though that it might be more fun to alternate. We'll see.

For the time being though, let's get to it beginning with the No. 10 'success since 2000. Before somebody on a message board that doesn't bother to actually contribute anything to the broad digital conversation and instead likes to just try to tear down others work before even taking the time to digest it all, let me be real clear about one thing: I'm excluding first round picks from my list of 'successes'. I could make that clear in the title, but it looks a bit clunky that way. If you're reading this in its entirety, then you'll surely see this note in each of the posts. Something tells me though I'll find a thread out there this next few weeks where somebody blasts me for not including Troy Polamalu, Ben Roethlisberger, or Maurkice Pouncey on this list. But really it's obvious why I would exclude the first rounders. Quite simply, if you don't hit a homerun with your first round picks in this league, you're in trouble. Those top picks have to pan out if you want to compete consistently. Of course, there's different levels of 'panning out.' Ziggy Hood looks like a keeper and solid pick, but he ain't Troy Polamalu or even Lawrence Timmons. No knock on the Zigster, but just saying that it's worth doing a list of 'best first round picks of all time' perhaps, but for this narrow time frame, let's exclude what are expected to be great picks, and turn our attention to the later rounds to see where Colbert and his army of scouts struck gold with their talent evaluation.

(And finally, before I get started , a quick thanks to NYSteelersFan4 for unintentionally helping out with this series, as he just so happened to write a single, comprehensive post about a similar topic recently, I asked him to hold off on publishing it with this series on the horizon, but his research has already come in handy for the first of 20 posts, and will assuredly continue to be a nice resource this next two weeks. Send him a piece of any credit you want to give to the series; I'll bear the brunt of the blame though.)

No. 10 Draft Success in the Kevin Colbert Era -- WR Antonio Brown, 6th Round Pick, 2010

I imagine that this initial selection might be somewhat controversial. To begin, let's all make sure we're on the same page about this: it's really too early to assess the Steelers 2010 NFL Draft. I mean, it seems plainly obvious that we struck gold with Maurkice Pouncey, who was named to the All Pro Team and the Pro Bowl as a rookie from his center position. After that though, we just don't know. We don't know if Jason Worilds will develop into a solid every-down starter at OLB; we don't know if Emanuel Sanders will materialize into something more than say a Cedrick Wilson type contributor (we do know that Sanders is a great young man and will never have the same type of off-field issues); we don't know if the trio of fifth round picks (Crezdon Butler, Stevenson Sylvester, Chris Scott) will amount to much more than serviceable backups and/or special teams contributors; we don't know if Jonathan Dwyer will ever get an opportunity to prove himself in Pittsburgh, and if he does, whether he'll establish himself as a productive 'back.

Of the entire lot not named Pouncey, only Sanders (third round) and Antonio Brown (sixth round) really saw the field outside of special teams. Give me another year or two before I can assess the guys who have not yet taken many snaps on either offense or defense.

As for Sanders and Brown -- well, one is a third rounder and one an almost afterthought in the sixth. Even though you're going to have some misses with your third round picks, you still need to have a relatively solid track record of finding contributing talent in the third round. And that's exactly what I think Sanders will prove to be -- a nice, complimentary option at WR. I personally don't think Sanders will ever be a No. 2 WR option though. If he is, I imagine it might be somewhere other than in Pittsburgh. Think Nate Washington being lured away by big free agent bucks perhaps. I don't say that as a knock on Sanders really. I like him as a player. But he's not going to explode onto the scene like Mike Wallace did in 2010 during his sophomore campaign. He just doesn't have the rare athletic gifts that Wallace does. That said, in today's pass-happy NFL, Sanders is a great piece to have in your WR corps, particularly when you have a QB like Ben Roethlisberger who can extend plays and scan the field beyond just his first or second progression before getting rid of the ball. Sanders is a safe bet to be a 35-50 catch type of guy this next few years. Seems about right for what a third round WR should produce with two guys ahead of him on the depth chart plus a top flight tight end getting the lion's share of the pass catching opportunities.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530
Default Re: Steelers Top 10 NFL Draft Successes In Kevin Colbert Era: No. 10 - Antonio Brown,

Come on man....I think its a little too early to put this kid at 10............

Lets see what he can do for a few seasons first there quicky pants......
Old 04-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
#1LambertFan
Starter

Member Number: 5489
Default Re: Steelers Top 10 NFL Draft Successes In Kevin Colbert Era: No. 10 - Antonio Brown,

I see way too much team pride in Sander and Wallace to ever imagine either would want to leave. Plus Washington left a year after people saw he could play ball. Santonio was only 2 years. Consider them both a lock if they can outlast the end of their first contract expiration
#1LambertFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Here's my top ten Colbert era picks.

1 Big Ben, Franchise qb's = SB trips
2. Troy P. Great trade up!
3. Maukice Pouncey. I know it's early, but the guy is already the best at his position in the game.
4. Casey Hampton. Anchor of the run defense.
5. LaMarr Woodley. 2nd round steal
6. Mike Wallace. 3rd round steal
7. Heath Miller. Great value at 30, best 2 way TE in football.
8. Ike Taylor. 4th round steal
9. Brett Keisel. 7th round steal.
10. Marvel Smith. Elite OT for most lof his career.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479

I don't think Brown should have made that list. He was great in a few games and had key catches against Baltimore and the NY Jets in the playoffs...but that is not enough to be one of the ten best draft steals. Putting the first three rounds aside, I think there have been five really great calls by Colbert.

5- Clark Haggans 5th 2000
4- Larry Foote 4th 2002
3- Daniel Sepulveda 4th 2007
2- Chris Kemoeatu 5th 2005
1- Brett Keisel 7th 2002