Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-01-2011, 08:13 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Ed: Now We Wait

Ed: Now We Wait
Saturday, 30 April 2011 20:02
Written by Ed Bouchette
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ed-now-we-wait

Kevin Colbert thinks he drafted seven of those 100 players he mentioned who were prospects who could improve the Steelers, including the only player they drafted who actually touches the football.

Seventh-round pick Baron Batch is a 5-10, 203-pound candidate to play on third downs for the Steelers. He played in the wide-open Texas Tech offense. Think of him as Mewelde Moore’s replacement. If so, it would give the Steelers four young backs, counting Rashard Mendenhall, Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer.

Colbert and Mike Tomlin were delighted with their selections, making it 26 consecutive years of me covering the draft for the Post-Gazette in which the coach and his football operations director declared it a success.

We’ll have to wait, and that could be a long one because no one knows when they’ll get a chance to see these players. Five of them were among the 30 visitors to the team before the draft and two of them came here for interviews with the media over the past two days, No. 1 Cameron Heyward and No. 2 Marcus Gilbert.

The longer this lockout stretches, the tougher it will become for some of those drafted players to make the team.

Take, for example, fifth-round pick Chris Carter. He was a defensive end at Fresno State and will convert to outside linebacker in the Steelers’ 3-4 defense. That takes time and he cannot get started for who knows when.

“Hopefully, this CBA thing gets done and we can get him in here and start making the transition a little bit easier for him,’’ said linebackers coach Keith Butler.

“Jason Worilds had the same problem; he was a defensive end also. LaMarr Woodley was a defensive end.’’

In the meantime, the Steelers desperately needed a cornerback and did not get one until the end of the third round, and then added another in the fourth round. Are they hoping a little quantity over quality can help, or did they dig up one or two jewels who might become the next Ike Taylor, drafted on the fourth round in 2003?

Who knows. We’ll find out some day but again that day could be delayed and their progress retarded by this lockout.

One thing that was confirmed to me over the weekend is that the Steelers are convinced they will re-sign Ike Taylor. I’ve said all along I thought Taylor would sign back and that he wanted to and they felt he would return. That conviction was solidified after talking to some people this weekend.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124
Default Re: Ed: Now We Wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
One thing that was confirmed to me over the weekend is that the Steelers are convinced they will re-sign Ike Taylor. I’ve said all along I thought Taylor would sign back and that he wanted to and they felt he would return. That conviction was solidified after talking to some people this weekend.
So maybe the sky isn't falling after all.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

I believe we do resign Ike.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
rangerman
Water Boy

Member Number: 18371

i heard tomlin said he expected brown to step right in and contribute is this correct?
rangerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479

Why would you want to leave? The fans love you and you have won two SB and are coming off your trip to your third. His best bet to win more championships is here.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BaileyFan View Post
Why would you want to leave?.
Why did Faneca and Porter leave? - the Benjamins

You have your rings - now you want to max out on that last big contract - IMO it is easier to hold on to players who have not won a Super Bowl if you have a very competitive team - once the ultimate team accomplishment has been achieved you are more likely to focus on the individual goals that are measured by the size of the contract
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
Farrior_roirraW
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Why did Faneca and Porter leave? - the Benjamins
Porter was cut...

"I am proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it. I was born to be a Steeler." - Farrior
Farrior_roirraW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:08 AM   #8
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrior_roirraW View Post
Porter was cut...
Because of the Benjamins (and the knee)...
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #9
Farrior_roirraW
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers>NFL View Post
Because of the Benjamins (and the knee)...
(and Harrison.)

"I am proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it. I was born to be a Steeler." - Farrior
Farrior_roirraW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrior_roirraW View Post
Porter was cut...
Because he had been bit**ing aboiut his contract throughout 2006 (after he got a ring in 2005) and there was a concern it would disrupt Tomlin's first season as HC

Although no one on the Steelers would say so, the threat by Porter to hold out last summer played a factor in his release. Team officials did not want to burden new head coach Mike Tomlin with that kind of threat to his authority. Even though Porter was scheduled to make $5 million in the final year of his deal, he was unhappy with his contract and there was a chance he might boycott some of the minicamps and then training camp had he remained with the team.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07061/766304-66.stm

So Porter was let go and imediately signed a fat deal with Miami

He got a ton more money than the $5 million he was to earn with the Steelers this season. Porter agreed to a five-year, $32 million contract with the Dolphins that will pay him a reported $12 million signing bonus and another $8 million in guaranteed money. His signing bonus is $3 million more than the Steelers have paid a player

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07066/767408-66.stm

And once Porter was let go Faneca became the disgruntled vet who wanted a better deal from the Steelers and acted out when it did not happen as he claimed deserving vets like Porter and himself were getting screwed by Steelers management

Guard Alan Faneca said today he is attending the required Steelers minicamp only because the team is making him and predicted this will be his last season with the Steelers.

Faneca, who has played in the past six Pro Bowls, said he will depart Pittsburgh Sunday night when practices end and won't return until training camp.

Faneca also said he has asked the Steelers to trade him but that he does not think that will happen. He said they have shown by their lack of progress in contract talks that they no longer want him beyond the 2007 season.

"This will be my last year as a Pittsburgh Steeler," Faneca declared....

"You go somewhere, you've been here for nine years; to do what I've done to help this team out. The things I've done for this team ... and the offer I get is pretty much a non-offer. What am I to think? What are the guys in this room to think? If they can do it to me and everybody else and let Joey [Porter] go and do things like that, what does that say to the rest of the guys?"

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07131/785306-66.stm

Moral of the story - most players will go to whomever is paying the most, especially if it is their last big payday - Ike Taylor may be no different from Faneca and Porter
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote