Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers Grab RB Baron Batch in 7th Round

Steelers Grab RB Baron Batch in 7th Round
Posted on April 30, 2011 by ryan
http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/0...ron-batch-7th/

So it ends. The 2011 NFL Draft is over, the Steelers stayed put for every one of their selections, and wrapped it all up by taking Texas Tech RB Baron Batch 232nd overall.

Here’s Mike Mayock’s take:

“I’m so happy that young man got drafted. You want to talk about a kid who has had to deal with an awful lot off the field. To come back — not just off the field but on-the-field injuries — and what he’s gone through in his lifetime.

“I love where he ended up being drafted. The Pittsburgh Steelers, one of the best locker rooms in the league. … Baron’s coming out of a spread offense, this is a tough kid … and he just keeps coming back. The Pittsburgh Steelers love this kind of story, so I’m really excited for Baron Batch, and I’m really excited for what he can bring to the Steelers.”

Hadn’t previously heard of Batch but after hearing Mayock’s comments I was intrigued. And … well, wow. Here’s Batch’s story:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S17t6-YQ7T0&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

I hope Batch makes the team solely based on that video. As for the on-the-field stuff, Charles Davis offers this: “Swing him out of the backfield, [let him] catch the football — which he had to do an awful lot of in the spread offense — he also showed the ability to run it. But get him in space, and then he showed some toughness downfield. You noticed him finishing the run, not necessarily trying to evade all the contact.”

And now your obligatory highlight video:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZpNXNhJNII&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
sexyllama
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18213
Default Re: Steelers Grab RB Baron Batch in 7th Round

Even better...

Here is our 7th round RB running down C. Brown from behind on his only INT. He doesn't get "The Burner" nickname.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/05...-curtis-brown/
sexyllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:46 AM   #3
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

WOW! This guy looks awesome! He has an amazing ability to see the holes immediately and hit them with great acceleration. I also love that he doesn't seem to hesitate. I have seen Mendy hesitate many times on run plays then the whole closes. Incredible pick in round 7.
bornaSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
thumper
Banned

Member Number: 13415

Nice story and all, but I am curious why they draft a RB here. They
must not have much faith in Dwyer ending up a player. He also came
from a spread offense. If this kid made the team our RB would be.....

- Mendy
- Redman
- Batch
- Dwyer or who?

Is this kid to replace Moore?
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,524 Times in 1,531 Posts

and the ever important questions...can he play special teams ?, and can he block ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

I think he was drafted because of his skillset more than because we need another RB. Mendenhall is our fastest running back by far, and while he does have deceptive speed for a back with is build and playing style, the rest of our RB corps does not. Redman and Dwyer are both big, bruising backs who are rather slow. Batch may not be Chris Johnson but compared to Redman and Dwyer, he brings an element of speed and quickness which our corps lacks past Mendenhall. We needed a small, quick scatback like him.

Moore is gone, Batch is taking his place. I for one am totally cool with that, never was a big Moore fan.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Nice story but probably just a camp back...