Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 05-17-2006, 01:20 AM   #1
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342
Default Will It Happen?

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.c...=19174&pcid=41

Jerome Solomon of the Boston Globe reports that Ty Law's agent, Carl Poston confirmed that his client took a physical for the Patriots last week, but there have been no substantive talks between the two parties about a contract. Poston said that while a physical is an "indication of a level of interest," it does not mean an offer is impending. "I often have clients take physicals that lead to nothing," Poston said yesterday. Law also took a physical for the Titans last Thursday, and has been in regular contact with Chiefs coach Herman Edwards.

Tom Curran of the Providence Journal? also writes that New England has more than $10 million in available cap space at this point. It would likely prefer to sign Ty Law to a deal near the veteran minimum but laced with incentives that would allow Law to be compensated in the manner to which he's become accustomed. For Law, a possible Hall of Famer, returning to the Patriots to close out a great career makes sense if it's his legacy he's interested in. He would be positioned to become one of the few corners in league history to win four Super Bowls if New England rises again, and he also could set the Pats' record for career interceptions (he's tied with Raymond Clayborn at 36).
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:04 AM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Will It Happen?

There is a helluva lot of debate on the merits of brining Law back to New England - even if you take the money factor out of it.

Will he be delaying the development of some of our young DB's?

Are his 10 INT's a flattering stat that only indicate that he was thrown on too much last year?

Due his loss of pace and more 'rounded' figure will he play at safety?

Is he genuine about playing for a contender?

The considered view of some Jets fans is that he was only the 3rd/4th best DB in the corps last year - which seems weird on the face of it - but then I didnt see any Jets games last year that didnt involve the Patriots.

For Law money has always equalled respect - if he can change this attitude then maybe we see him back in New England.

For my money he is going to Kansas or Seattle.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:18 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,066 Times in 2,610 Posts

i still dont think they can stand pat. i mean are they in the business of developing young db's or trying to win sb's. if i was a fan i would be a little pissed if they sat on 17 mil in cap space and did nothing to improve on their defense other than hope their players got healthy. they gotta be licking their chops at the prospect of landing law as cheap as possible and im willing to bet theyre trying to figure a way to land donnie edwards. i doubt san diego will just let a commodity like that go, but it seems like the pats always have something up their sleeve.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:36 PM   #4
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
There is a helluva lot of debate on the merits of brining Law back to New England - even if you take the money factor out of it.

Will he be delaying the development of some of our young DB's?

Are his 10 INT's a flattering stat that only indicate that he was thrown on too much last year?

Due his loss of pace and more 'rounded' figure will he play at safety?

Is he genuine about playing for a contender?

The considered view of some Jets fans is that he was only the 3rd/4th best DB in the corps last year - which seems weird on the face of it - but then I didnt see any Jets games last year that didnt involve the Patriots.

For Law money has always equalled respect - if he can change this attitude then maybe we see him back in New England.

For my money he is going to Kansas or Seattle.

NM

Yeah, that's a good analysis.

I didn't watch any Jet games other then ours either. The interception against us you knew was going to happen.

Anyway, the coaches have the films, they will have a good idea about how much he has left. Say what you want about Law's need for respect to equal money, and that is his nature, I don't think he can take the field and not play in a fiercely completive way. If he has something left, he'll bring it.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:49 PM   #5
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwork
Yeah, that's a good analysis.

I didn't watch any Jet games other then ours either. The interception against us you knew was going to happen.

Anyway, the coaches have the films, they will have a good idea about how much he has left. Say what you want about Law's need for respect to equal money, and that is his nature, I don't think he can take the field and not play in a fiercely completive way. If he has something left, he'll bring it.
It has always been in Laws nature to gamble on the big play - sometimes he gets burned, more often he is streaking back towards the opps endzone with the rock tucked safely under his arm.

Its a weird situation, but because I have total belief in the BB/Pioli axis I would be very happy to have Law back this year, and if he didnt come back I would also back that decision to be the correct one.

If the main men think he can do a job and that he is worth the money then I would love to see him back in a Pats uni.

I agree that Law is the ultimate competitor once he steps onto the field - I just hope he doesnt let a few extra dollars define the remainder of his career.

On the flipside, you have to feel he would have a field day in the NFC with the quality of QB in that conference.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote