Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 04-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
Wallabeast17
Starter

Member Number: 18370
Default With the 31st pick in the 2011 Nfl Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers Select.....

I will start.

Aaron Williams.

Now I know some people want him in the first and some do not! I am leaning towards taking him, why?
Value in special teams which we all know needs help although it is improving.
I believe he will be a play maker in the secondary. As a corner he likes to line up as the nickel back and take away the underneath guy which we struggle with. I think he could be a solid starter in a few years if not right out of camp.
He also can play saftey! Some people have him as the best saftey in the draft! Now, our need for a saftey is not that high but we could use it. Imagine, Aaron and Clark in the backfield and Troy up by the line to do what Troy does!

I wouldn't say he is a first rounder normally, however in this draft amd selecting so late in rd. 1 i dont think we have much of an option besides him as far as corners go..

Last edited by Wallabeast17; 04-26-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Wallabeast17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
rangerman
Water Boy

Member Number: 18371
Default Re: With the 31st pick in the 2011 Nfl Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers Select.....

Dowling
rangerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,142 Times in 544 Posts
My Mood: Drunk
Default Re: With the 31st pick in the 2011 Nfl Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers Select.....

I know, a lot of people who are against Williams are against him because he will not be a #1 shutdown corner and will probably be a safety. But he doesn't need to play safety immediately and even without blazing speed, could play a nickel role just fine and be an automatic improvement over anybody we have in that role. I personally really like his versatility, while he may not have the speed to be the guy who can lockdown the Andre Johnson's of the league, he is a guy with great ballskills who can fill a Charles Woodson-like role in the secondary, hovering from safety to nickel and he is a good blitzer as well. Between Troy, Clark, and Williams, Lebeau could get really creative in the secondary.

Nobody we take in this draft is going to be a number 1 or 2 corner in the forseeable future, the guys who can do that immediately will be off the board when we pick, and by the time anybody else has been groomed into that role we wil be in full-on defensive rebuild mode anyway. If we resign Ike, go with a healthy Bmac or maybe even try out Crezdon Butler (Im a much bigger fan of the latter option), and let Aaron Williams roam the secondary between nickel and safety, I would say our secondary would be in good shape.

And looking to the future, Aaron Williams can fill the role of nickel we need in the present, but has the potential to be a ballhawking, game-changing safety later on down the line. We can draft another "pure" corner in a few years to replace Ike, but I think Williams is our best option to solve our "immediate" secondary issues and be a game-changer later one.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
rangerman
Water Boy

Member Number: 18371

well since we are picking i am going both williams and dowling !
rangerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
Wallabeast17
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
I know, a lot of people who are against Williams are against him because he will not be a #1 shutdown corner and will probably be a safety. But he doesn't need to play safety immediately and even without blazing speed, could play a nickel role just fine and be an automatic improvement over anybody we have in that role. I personally really like his versatility, while he may not have the speed to be the guy who can lockdown the Andre Johnson's of the league, he is a guy with great ballskills who can fill a Charles Woodson-like role in the secondary, hovering from safety to nickel and he is a good blitzer as well. Between Troy, Clark, and Williams, Lebeau could get really creative in the secondary.

Nobody we take in this draft is going to be a number 1 or 2 corner in the forseeable future, the guys who can do that immediately will be off the board when we pick, and by the time anybody else has been groomed into that role we wil be in full-on defensive rebuild mode anyway. If we resign Ike, go with a healthy Bmac or maybe even try out Crezdon Butler (Im a much bigger fan of the latter option), and let Aaron Williams roam the secondary between nickel and safety, I would say our secondary would be in good shape.

And looking to the future, Aaron Williams can fill the role of nickel we need in the present, but has the potential to be a ballhawking, game-changing safety later on down the line. We can draft another "pure" corner in a few years to replace Ike, but I think Williams is our best option to solve our "immediate" secondary issues and be a game-changer later one.
EXACTLY what i am thinking haha..

Oh and i was going to mention his blitzing but forgot, and don't forget that is the only thing gay does well IMO so williams could easily replace gay his first year again IMO
Old 04-27-2011, 02:40 AM   #6
taztroy43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13325

Williams is not a ballhawk....He looked good in GAMECHANGERS but guess what guys...he wasn't out there wearing pads and playing against elite WR.....Throughout his career in college he didn't have that many INTs....I like the guy too and he can be that future breed type of guy like Charles/Rod Woodson/Carnell Lake type of CB/S...I watched a lot of Texas games and he doesn't seem to have natural hands..His teammate Curtis Brown has better more natural hands ...I just don't want a Nickle CB/Future FS in the 1st....but if he ever comes close to a Charles, Rod, or even Carnell Lake type of guy I would be ecstatic....

PS- IF Dowling wasn't injured this past season I don't think we'll even question who the better CB prospect would of been....Dowling would probably been the 3rd best CB this draft if he was healthy....but I hope we somehow land both of these guys.....
taztroy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #7
Wallabeast17
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taztroy43 View Post
Williams is not a ballhawk....He looked good in GAMECHANGERS but guess what guys...he wasn't out there wearing pads and playing against elite WR.....Throughout his career in college he didn't have that many INTs....I like the guy too and he can be that future breed type of guy like Charles/Rod Woodson/Carnell Lake type of CB/S...I watched a lot of Texas games and he doesn't seem to have natural hands..His teammate Curtis Brown has better more natural hands ...I just don't want a Nickle CB/Future FS in the 1st....but if he ever comes close to a Charles, Rod, or even Carnell Lake type of guy I would be ecstatic....

PS- IF Dowling wasn't injured this past season I don't think we'll even question who the better CB prospect would of been....Dowling would probably been the 3rd best CB this draft if he was healthy....but I hope we somehow land both of these guys.....
Yea i wouldn't mind landing dowling at all!! He is a steeler type corner. I wouldn't mind seeing him at 31 either. It may be just a bit of a stretch with all the injurys! However, i think he was just very unlucky his senior year with the injurys i do not think it will become a problem until late in his solid career in the NFL IMO.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #8
atlee731
Water Boy

Member Number: 15893

How about Akeem Ayers? I don't see him getting a lot of press, but I've seen him slipping in mock drafts closer to 31. Having him replace Harrison in a year or two is a lot more exciting of a 1st rounder than taking a nickel back in Williams.
atlee731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #9
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,142 Times in 544 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlee731 View Post
How about Akeem Ayers? I don't see him getting a lot of press, but I've seen him slipping in mock drafts closer to 31. Having him replace Harrison in a year or two is a lot more exciting of a 1st rounder than taking a nickel back in Williams.
Unless the plan is to let Woodley walk next year rather than sign a longer deal, no. I have full confidence Jason Worilds will develop into a dominant pass rusher. Maybe not Harrison or Woodley, but still a great OLB.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:13 AM   #10
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886
Thanked 1,282 Times in 628 Posts

As long as we come out with a good graded CB, OL, DL and don't reach I'll be ok

Really wish we could find an impact CB, but Im just going to have to live with the fact thats very difficult and even more so for the Steelers(Hope Butler comes on strong too)........Im just sick and tired of that 5-wide crap always ripping us to pieces...Next is the lack of a dominant Run Game

I do not want to see any wasted picks on LBs or Wrs this year...we're pretty deep there and we really need to hit in this draft to help us transition into the next decade

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote