Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479
Default First Pick

I have heard a few people saying they would not be shocked if Cameron Heyward the DE from Ohio State is taken at the end of the first round. The whole best available idea...

I guess nothing would shock me, the Steelers do those kinds of things. We all criticize but obviously their thought process has worked in the past. I am with the norm when I say a lineman or corner should be priority...but if any available are a reach would you take Heyward?
Old 04-27-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk
Default Re: First Pick

I would not be a fan AT ALL of Cam Heyward there. I know at this point we should trust the front office but one DE is locked up in Hood and while The Beard is aging he has not shown any signs of slowing down, in fact he just had his best season. With how many immediate needs we have elsewhere I would be strongly against a DE unless ALL first round Oline and CB options are gone, an even then Id rather trade back to the second. This isnt like when we took Hood and Mendenhall when our team was 3 years younger and the only real "need" was the Oline, we have so many more key players at the end of their road and so much less depth at some positions that I don't believe we can go solely on the BPA strategy this year. I think we can choose between our needs based on the BPAs but not just straight out take the BPA as weve done in past years.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
With how many immediate needs we have elsewhere I would be strongly against a DE unless ALL first round Oline and CB options are gone, an even then Id rather trade back to the second. This isnt like when we took Hood and Mendenhall when our team was 3 years younger and the only real "need" was the Oline, we have so many more key players at the end of their road and so much less depth at some positions that I don't believe we can go solely on the BPA strategy this year. I think we can choose between our needs based on the BPAs but not just straight out take the BPA as weve done in past years.
Teams that draft to fill immediate needs rarely, almost never, build and sustain strong rosters. That's not how the Steelers have built teams that consistently make the Super Bowl, and they're not going to change now. The Steelers will go into the draft with several positions which could possibly be addressed and pick the best player available at those positions. That's the way they've always done it, and that's the way they'll continue to do it. I for one will not complain about it.

I think the positions on their radar will be NT, DE, CB, OG, or OT in the first round - and they will not elevate the CB position just because they 'need' somebody next year; and nor should they. It's extremely rare that a defensive back will enter Lebeau's defense and start and do well in his first year. Future HOFer Troy Polamalu even sucked in his first year, only starting about half the games - in those games he made many mental mistakes.

The Steelers will enter this draft as if they're selecting their team 2-3 years down the road, not next season. When you look that far ahead, you'll see that the defensive line is probably as big, or even a bigger need than the secondary, with all three starters in their early to mid 30s.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,376 Times in 572 Posts

Picking #31 and could have interests in moving up a few spots if Mike Pouncey drops within a reasonable number, maybe #20 and trade up with Tampa Bay. If Pouncey doesn't fall, then Aaron Williams, Cam Heyward or an interior lineman could be our guy! Here we go!
Old 04-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
55BaileyFan
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
Picking #31 and could have interests in moving up a few spots if Mike Pouncey drops within a reasonable number, maybe #20 and trade up with Tampa Bay. If Pouncey doesn't fall, then Aaron Williams, Cam Heyward or an interior lineman could be our guy! Here we go!
I'm not a fan of the Williams pick. I know a lot of people are on his wagon right now, I have seen a lot of mock drafts picking the Steelers to take him...but I really think Brandon Harris is a better corner. He isn't as tall but he can cover much better than Williams.

I wouldn't mind the DE pick, you always need more D-lineman. I don't think we will pick based on need but talent that is available.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BaileyFan View Post
I'm not a fan of the Williams pick. I know a lot of people are on his wagon right now, I have seen a lot of mock drafts picking the Steelers to take him...but I really think Brandon Harris is a better corner. He isn't as tall but he can cover much better than Williams.

I wouldn't mind the DE pick, you always need more D-lineman. I don't think we will pick based on need but talent that is available.
Could def be Aaron Williams going our #1. The Steelers, especially drafting that low will probably take the best player available at that spot. Corners aren't too deep this year, an average class compared to D-Line & O-Line so we could get value with a corner at #2 or #3. Going to be interesting. The only thing that worries me is that Williams reminds me of an NFL safety than he does corner. He's not as fast as most corners in this league but he is a helluva hitter. Plus, he's a risk taker and will jump most routes, kind of like Woodson did all those years.

Who knows, if we sign Ike and draft another valuable corner in the 3rd or 4th round then Williams has the potential to play both corner and safety and be in line to replace Clark if it comes to it and a young corner in the later rounds is groomed to take over opposite Ike. We need depth bad in the secondary.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:34 PM   #7
finesward
Team Captain

Member Number: 14448

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
I would not be a fan AT ALL of Cam Heyward there. I know at this point we should trust the front office but one DE is locked up in Hood and while The Beard is aging he has not shown any signs of slowing down, in fact he just had his best season. With how many immediate needs we have elsewhere I would be strongly against a DE unless ALL first round Oline and CB options are gone, an even then Id rather trade back to the second. This isnt like when we took Hood and Mendenhall when our team was 3 years younger and the only real "need" was the Oline, we have so many more key players at the end of their road and so much less depth at some positions that I don't believe we can go solely on the BPA strategy this year. I think we can choose between our needs based on the BPAs but not just straight out take the BPA as weve done in past years.
HAHA
finesward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:41 PM   #8
55BaileyFan
Starter

Picked it right. On April 27th on my Steeler Freak page I went off the map and said the Steelers would take Heyward. Hell, have to get one right sometime.

What do you guys think of the pick?
Old 04-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #9
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173

Quote:
Picked it right. On April 27th on my Steeler Freak page I went off the map and said the Steelers would take Heyward. Hell, have to get one right sometime.

Good call, I like the pick honestly. I would have liked a corner or another o-lineman but I look at like this. Other than Ziggy, our D-line is hardly young, and while Keisel was great last year, he will be 33 for nearly all of 2011. Plus, Heyward allows us to get pressure on QBs and in that way, they won't be able to bomb us to hell. I also think we can get a good value pick from a CB in Round 2. I like the kid from UVA, Dowling, from what I've read he seems to fit our mold of CB and UVA kids are smart kids too.
GMU Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #10
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:

Love it. Heyward is a straight blown PITTSBURGH STEELERS pick. Best player available to our needs. I preferred Heyward here but thought they would go Williams so I'm happy since I stated above the corner class is very average and we could get value with corner and secondary help at #2 or #3.

Our defense is OLD, esp our lines and the depth that goes with it so with Ziggy coming on and now adding a fresh, aggressive end/tackle to the mix is looking forward to many more seasons as the #1 rush defense in the league.