Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 04-28-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers pick Cameron Heyward with first round pick

Steelers pick Cameron Heyward with first round pick
Thursday, April 28, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Maybe not as good a story as the Pouncey twins, but the Steelers played their own game of all in the family when they drafted Ohio State defensive end Cameron Heyward on the first round of the NFL draft tonight.

He follows in the shoes of his father, Craig "Ironhead" Heyward, a Pitt running back who also was drafted in the first round, by the New Orleans Saints at No. 24 in 1988. His mother, Charlotte Heyward-Blackwell, is a Pittsburgh native.

When their turn came at No. 31, the Steelers also had a choice of going after one of the top tackles in Mississippi State's Derek Sherrod or one of the top cornerbacks in Aaron Williams of Texas.

Heyward is the second defensive end drafted on the first round by the Steelers in the past three. They took Ziggy Hood No. 1 in 2009.

The Steelers chances to get one of their more highly rated prospects improved when four quarterbacks were drafted in the first dozen picks, two more than almost anyone predicted. A handful of other picks -- Seattle's choice of guard/tackle James Carpenter, Kansas City picking Pitt wide receiver Jon Baldwin and New Orleans taking running back Mark Ingram -- also aided the Steelers.

They resisted trading away valuable draft choices to move higher in the first round, as at least a report on NFL.com said they were trying to do to draft Maurkice Pouncey's twin, Mike. The Miami Dolphins drafted the center-guard with the 15th pick.

One player who had to get their attention as he slipped down the first round was the second-best cornerback in the draft, Prince Amukamara of Nebraska. Considered a possible top dirty dozen pick, he wasn't drafted until the New York Giants drafted him at No. 19, still 12 picks ahead of the Steelers.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11118...#ixzz1KsbsDDVa
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Default Re: Steelers pick Cameron Heyward with first round pick

Steelers draft DE Cameron Heyward
April, 28, 2011
Apr 28
11:33
PM ET
By James Walker
The reigning AFC champion Pittsburgh Steelers selected former Ohio State defensive end Cameron Heyward with the No. 31 overall pick in the NFL draft. Heyward adds youth and another big monster on the front end of Dick LeBeau's aggressive 3-4 defense.

Despite making the Super Bowl last season, Pittsburgh entered the draft with a couple of well-defined needs this year at cornerback and the offensive line. But the Steelers passed on both in favor of what they feel is a great value pick and the best available player on their board in Heyward. (Oh we selected the best player available. That will be wonderful consultation when we get ripped apart in the playoffs. - mesa)

The Steelers remain very thin at corner, and Texas cornerbacks Aaron Williams and Miami cornerback Brandon Harrison were both on the board at No. 31. Look for Pittsburgh to fill this need in Day 2.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479

Awesome pick. I guessed it right and I think it was the right call. Pressure from the front seven hides the issues in the secondary. GO STEELERS!
Old 04-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #4
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,148 Times in 863 Posts

LOVING the Heyward pick! I figured we'd go either Williams or Heyward, depending on best available to our certain needs. He dropped to us at 31. Def the best player available to us. We are now getting younger on the D-line with Ziggy Hood now Heyward at DT. The run defense just got stouter.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:47 PM   #5
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

Quote from Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 4.19.11

Shawn: Ed, if Cameron Heyward is on the board at 31, do you see the Steelers picking him over these 3 cornerback prospects?

Ed Bouchette: It might depend on the CB prospects but, me, I'm going for Ironhead's kid.

Ed knew it all along!
bornaSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:17 AM   #6
rich4eagle
Starter

Member Number: 399
My Mood: Worried

Cameron Heyward was a great pick he displayed leadership and big play skills at Ohio State...........I think he will be a valuable addition to the Steelers moreso than that fatso the Browns drafted before him
rich4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:24 AM   #7
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Pittsburgh Steelers Welcome Cameron Heyward To The Family With 31st Pick In 2011 NFL Draft
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...mily-with-31st

We'll have much more reaction to the Pittsburgh Steelers' selection of Cameron Heyward, as well as all the other 31 picks in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft, but a quick post here for you all to start discussion what you think of the selection. Heyward, a defensive end out of Ohio State that we profiled here on Behind the Steel Curtain this afternoon, has a very interesting personal story that I think all of Steeler Nation will be inspired by. He's the son of former NFL running back Craig 'Ironhead' Heyward, a battering ram of a back who made a name for himself more from his off the field exploits than for what he did between the lines. And he's one of the rare players who truly was a 'student-athlete' during his time in Columbus.

At 6'5", 294 pounds, Heyward projects quite well as a 3-4 defensive end. With Brett Keisel and Aaron Smith both over the age of 30 and dinged up with injuries in recent years, it made sense for the Steelers to use a high pick on a defensive lineman for the second time in three years. He'll provide immediate depth along John Mitchell's line in 2011, with the hope that he can slide into a starting role perhaps as soon as 2012.

As I mentioned, much more on the pick and the evening's proceedings, but for now we extend a Steeler Nation sized welcome to Cameron Heyward, the newest addition to the Steelers family!

Go Steelers!
Old 04-29-2011, 12:36 AM   #8
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Steelers select Ohio State's Heyward in first round of NFL Draft

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, April 29, 2011

Addressing defensive line and not cornerback with their first-round pick Thursday night, the Steelers took Ohio State`s Cameron Heyward with the 31st overall selection of the 2011 NFL draft.

The 6-5, 294-pound defensive end is the son of the late Craig "Ironhead" Heyward, who starred as a running back at Pitt before playing 11 seasons in the NFL. Like his father, Heyward relishes physical play.

That attribute, along with his relentless style and ability to use his hands and shed blocks, prompted the Steelers to make Heyward the second defensive end they have taken with their first-round pick in the last three years.

"To be somewhere where you want to be is an unbelievable feeling," said Heyward, a Pittsburgh native who still has family in the area. "I always had a Terrible Towel."

Director of operations Kevin Colbert said Heyward was among the 20 players the Steelers had designated as having the potential to be special in the NFL. Heyward was the last of the 12 defensive linemen taken in the first round of the draft, which is a record.

"This is a special moment for this organization," Colbert said. "We got a guy we really wanted and still have all of our other picks."

The Steelers will make two picks Friday night, one each in the second and third rounds.

The Steelers have more of an immediate need at cornerback, especially since Ike Taylor is an unrestricted free agent who could hit the open market as early as next week. Despite that, the Steelers passed on Texas' Aaron Williams to take Heyward and get younger along their defensive line.

Starters Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel are 35 and 32, respectively, and the former has suffered season-ending injuries three of the last four years.

Heyward, who played four seasons at Ohio State, recorded 94 tackles and 10 sacks in his 2009-10 seasons.

He had six tackles and a sack in Ohio State`s 31-26 win over Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl last January. Heyward excelled despite playing much of the game with a serious arm injury.

"I think he`s capable of doing it all," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin. "This is an impeccable young man."

Heyward tore ligaments in his elbow in the second quarter against the Razorbacks, and he underwent reconstructive surgery on Jan. 12. Limited at the NFL Scouting Combine in February, Heyward worked out for teams at Ohio State`s Pro Day on April 6, and he checked out medically with the Steelers.

"If minicamp started (Friday) I`d be there," Heyward said of his elbow.

Heyward lived in Monroeville for a couple of years growing up, and both of his parents went to Pitt. His grandparents live in Highland Park, and he has several aunts and uncles living in the area as well.

Heyward has already completed the requirements for the degree in education that he will officially receive in June. When asked what kind of player the Steelers are getting, he said, "A team-first kind of player that`s very accountable."

The Steelers are flying Heyward up from Atlanta Friday so they can officially introduce him to the Pittsburgh media.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: Steelers select Ohio State's Heyward in first round of NFL Draft - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1Ksqdy5PH
Old 04-29-2011, 12:46 AM   #9
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

I'm excited for the future of our d-line now! I was getting worried with the aging of Keisel, Hampton and Smith (as well as Smith's injury proneness). Now with the emergence of Ziggy coupled with the pick of Heyward, things are looking up. Now we just need a fat man in the middle to plug things up.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #10
Navy86
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18326

One of our areas of need, may not be the top area, but still a need. Glad to hear that Heyward was one of the 30 special players they felt were in this draft. Definitely one of the top 3 5-tech in the draft behind Watt and Jordan. I was so happy to see the Jets take Wilkerson, leaving Heyward for us. Now let's go get a corner or two and a an OL in the next 3 Rds and I'll consider this draft a success. But if value is there at a different position that fills a depth need like FS/SS or WR and they go that direction, than I'm good w/ that as well.
Navy86 is offline   Reply With Quote