Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-05-2011, 08:29 AM   #11
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118
Default Re: Keith Williams Don't like this pick

I kind of wish I hadn't started this thread. Now everyday I see Keith Williams I don't like the pick. I really have nothing against Keith Williams I just having watched the draft for 3 days wanted a Nose Tackle. Turns out they really aren't rated that high. Ian Williams and Anthony Gray did not even get drafted.

With Kugler, Williams could turn out to be a fine lineman for us. I still firmly believe in my comments about needing a NT with only Hampton and Hoke on the team, but we will see what happens. There also are some older FA NTs out there. So I might not like the pick, but have nothing against Keith Williams and who knows if we sign Ian Williams or Anthony Gray or a FA we would have both a new NT and OG.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #12
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
I kind of wish I hadn't started this thread. Now everyday I see Keith Williams I don't like the pick. I really have nothing against Keith Williams I just having watched the draft for 3 days wanted a Nose Tackle. Turns out they really aren't rated that high. Ian Williams and Anthony Gray did not even get drafted.

With Kugler, Williams could turn out to be a fine lineman for us. I still firmly believe in my comments about needing a NT with only Hampton and Hoke on the team, but we will see what happens. There also are some older FA NTs out there. So I might not like the pick, but have nothing against Keith Williams and who knows if we sign Ian Williams or Anthony Gray or a FA we would have both a new NT and OG.
I agree. I've been saying for the last 3 drafts that we need to get a NT. It's one of our more immediate needs due to the fact that there is virtually nobody behind the Big Snack; so not only do we have a future need for a starter because Hampton is almost past his expiration, but we also have an immediate need for depth. Hoke is not a long term solution.

I would hope this indicates there hasn't been a NT worth drafting the past three years. Hopefully one will come along next year. I fear some sort of covert mission by Tomlin to switch to a 4-3 after DL retires. I hope this isn't the case.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #13
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,256 Posts

does ian williams fit our d though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppbeast View Post
I agree. I've been saying for the last 3 drafts that we need to get a NT. It's one of our more immediate needs due to the fact that there is virtually nobody behind the Big Snack; so not only do we have a future need for a starter because Hampton is almost past his expiration, but we also have an immediate need for depth. Hoke is not a long term solution.

I would hope this indicates there hasn't been a NT worth drafting the past three years. Hopefully one will come along next year. I fear some sort of covert mission by Tomlin to switch to a 4-3 after DL retires. I hope this isn't the case.

when was the last time pitt had a 4-3 d? dont think in my life time
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:11 PM   #14
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsteelers View Post
when was the last time pitt had a 4-3 d? dont think in my life time
I thought the '70s had a 4-3, but I could be wrong. Either way, Tomlin is a Tampa 2 guy. I fear he may want to impliment "his" system at some point.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #15
ebsteelers
Living Legend

Quote:
I thought the '70s had a 4-3, but I could be wrong. Either way, Tomlin is a Tampa 2 guy. I fear he may want to impliment "his" system at some point.

yeah 70's,

im early 20's lol.

well if went tampa 2, atleast r corners wouldnt look like swish cheese, but it seems to me like were still drafting 3-4 guys, (ala life after dl)

heyward, hood, etc, then again they could be 4-3 d ends i guess..
Old 05-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #16
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsteelers View Post
heyward, hood, etc, then again they could be 4-3 d ends i guess..
Hood and Heyward could probably play DT in a 4-3.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #17
ebsteelers
Living Legend

Quote:
Hood and Heyward could probably play DT in a 4-3.
interesting, but i got your point, that its possible, hopefully not, though, seems like pitt invented the 3-4, and now everyones using it, but then we do the old switch a roo back to a 4-3. and still shit on teams

where does woodley play? or james harrison?

cant see them moving to de's.

cant see them moving to a 4-3 for the time being, too many variables need to change
Old 05-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #18
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Looks like 1982 was the first year the Steelers used the 3-4 Defense. Gary Dunn was the NT, and Loren Toewes joined Jack Lambert as a Inside Linebacker.

If we would go 4-3

Hood, Heyward would be DTs, (Hood was in College)
Woodley, Keisel, would be the DEs,(Woodley was in College)
Timmons would be an OLB in a 4-3 (Timmons was in College)
Harrison could be your middle Linebacker temporarily until you draft one
Would need to draft another pure speedy 4-3 OLB

Would need to draft a better pass rushing DE then Keisel, and a dominate inside Linebacker.

However having great success with the 3-4 and drafting that way with
the Chris Carter and Jason Worilds picks although both were 4-3 DEs in college. And Cameron Heyward is
the prototypical 3-4 End.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #19
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

I wish they would have spent the 5th round pick on DeMarcus Love from Arkansas....the guy would have been a steal as a guard.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #20
PhantomJB93
Head Coach

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Yeehaw

Actually we wouldn't be in bad shape personnel-wise for a 4-3 switch in the future, but I don't think it would be worth it. Worilds and Woodley were DE's in college, Heyward and Hood could both be DT's. Sylvester and Timmons could both stay at LB; I guess Chris Carter could play there but he's more of a pass rushing DE, so we'd need one more bonafide LB.

Who knows how effective those guys would be after having the 3-4 pounded into their heads though. Woodley and Worilds were good in college but fit much better as 3-4 OLBs than 4-3 DEs, they could still be good but I feel a 4-3 caps their effectiveness.

If Tomlin was even remotely thinking about switching to a 4-3 at any point though I think he would have taken the gamble on Bowers in the first instead of Heyward, though.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote