Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-30-2011, 10:07 PM   #21
finesward
Team Captain

Member Number: 14448
Default Re: Consensus: worst draft in AFCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
hold on Dan..let me see if i'm pickin up what your puttin down...

so you're saying... the teams that pick in the top 5 , or top 10 , should have better drafts than the team picking 31 st just because they have a bunch more options to choose from ???
that's very profound...
obviously there's a flaw in your logic... otherwise those top ten pickers would have better players which would translate to better records, which would translate to lower draft selections....right ?
That's where consistency and infrastructure come into play. Those teams that have coaching changes, or move cities, or changes ownership, or piss poor GM's, etc will always remain at the top of the draft board while the better run organizations will always be near the bottom. Teams that draft purely to win now (us drafting a CB early) don't typically fare well in the long run.
finesward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #22
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

I actually am very optimistic about the picks. For a quick break-down:

1) Cameron Heyward - great value pick. There were no "shut-down" CB's left nor very good OL's at 31st neither. Excellent player and will be a factor in his first season

2) Marcus Gilbert - We got a quality OT ready to play and will only get better. He will probably see some playing time when another OL gets injured.

3) Curtis Brown - by far the best CB available at this point in the draft and as good as any CB we could have gotten in round 2. Carnell Lake likes that he is quick. Will probably see some play on Special Teams and Nickel in first season.

4) Cortez Allen - Excellent value with raw talent that hasn't yet been trained. His history says football hasn't been the top focus as far as time in his life (Due to his college). With Steelers coaching and a good work ethic, he could become THE shut down corner in a few years. He also has much softer hands than Ike.

5) Chris Carter - Very fast LB potential, but will take a few years to develop into a starter. Very much the way Worilds is. May be a big asset on Special Teams. I can see both of these guys as the main OLB starters in the 2014 season and beyond.

6) Keith Williams - Excellent starter potential at guard where our depth is the most needed. Plays angry and can pull (great on rushingdowns). Will probably play some in first season if there are injuries like last season.

7) Baron Batch - RB with excellent 3rd down potential and an asset on Special Teams. May compete for a job in future as we have some depth at this position right now. If nothing else, he will definitely cause our other backs to become more competitive in keeping their jobs.

I agree that it wasn't a stellar draft, but who can expect that at 31st pick? They didn't trade and waste draft picks. The Falcons are going to be sorry at the next draft with hardly any picks.
bornaSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:35 PM   #23
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,186 Times in 477 Posts

i think Williams was a bad pick, but who knows? Williams reminds of Kemo and it's said that Williams has a problems of getting many flags. Sounds like Kemo alright.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:44 AM   #24
thumper
Banned

Member Number: 13415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw Steel View Post
The Browns are showing their genius. They draft a 3-4 nose tackle to play in the 4-3.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #25
The Lakelander
Starter

Member Number: 1503

Look ... to get 1 or 2 eventual starters out of a draft is about all any team can expect.

Check out the 2009 draft ...Hood, Urbik, Wallace, Lewis, Burnett, Summers, Harris, Shipley, Johnson ...

Only Hood and Wallace have made any semblance of an NFL impact!

But we all felt great about that draft ... especially when many of those players made the 53-man roster.

It seems to me like we will have 2 or 3 of these 2011 draft picks stick for a long time ... Heyward, Gilbert, Brown ... these are solid need picks ...

Williams ... ??? ... we suddenly have a young talented O-Line ... Pouncey, Gilbert, Legursky, Foster, Hills, Chris Scott, and now Williams too! ... this pick is about depth and big bodies! ... all those guys on top of Flozell, Starks, Kemo and Colon. ... team weakness? ... hardly !!!!!!!!!!!

Our CB's are looking solid now ... Taylor, McFadden, Butler, Lewis, Brown, Allen ... we will have depth there now ... assuming Ike Taylor will remain a Steeler. Crez Butler has the look of a solid player and will take a huge leap this season! These kids we just drafted have the requisite tools ... time will tell.

O-line and CB are not our weakest positions right now on this team ... Special Teams kickers (K and P) and Safety are our biggest weaknesses in my opinion ... we are always one Troy Polamalu injury away from mediocrity on defense.
The Lakelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #26
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

What Atlanta Dan said.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #27
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

our drafts always seem weak because we always pick late.. the players that fall to us are supposedly weak too since they fell that far. our drafts hardly ever look any good until the drafted guys get playing time.

NBC seems to agree with my thoughts as well on the Steelers drafting. they gave the Steelers a B+

http://drafthq.nbcsports.com/team_picks.aspx

The Steelers usually stay in their draft slot, and somehow find contributors players that fit their style. Cameron Heyward could be a unheralded five-technique starter for years. He’ll continue the team’s tradition of late first-round finds. Marcus Gilbert and cornerback Curtis Brown were solid picks where they were taken and fill needs. The Steelers didn’t reach for secondary picks. Pittsburgh’s drafts tend to look better after a few years, which is the whole idea.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #28
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,186 Times in 477 Posts

You draft for the future. That's the Steeler way.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #29
sharkweek
Head Coach

Member Number: 14205

lol what a joke, its all about perspective

Browns - I'm not going to argue our draft was better than theirs. Atlanta was dumb enough to trade 5 picks to move up, that alone is enough to guarantee a good draft year, but what is most telling is looking outside the box - the Browns drafted talent for their reimplementation of the 4-3 defense. The Browns are one of the most unstable organizations in the NFL, good luck getting value out of these players when they inexplicably decide to go back to the 3-4 yet again in a few years

Bengals - I'm not going to argue our draft was sexier / more exciting than the Bengals', heck, they drafted the best WR and arguably one of the best overall players coming into the draft with the #4 overall pick and also stole a good QB with their 2nd pick. But why does this draft make their better than ours? Why do they need a QB and WR so high anyways? Oh that's right, their franchise is in shambles and can't even hold on to their former #1 pick and franchise QB. I guess the lesson here is to win the draft you have to have glaring draft needs to fix a sinking ship rather than reload a tip-top battle cruiser.

Ravens - I'm not sure how this conclusion is met, I suppose its because they drafted a corner with their first round pick and we did not? Sure, it fills a glaring need but its also a much bigger risk. But even if they did have a better draft than we did so what, they are the only other annually legitimate team in our division, no true shame in losing to them.
sharkweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:37 AM   #30
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

We were given an A- and an A+ from the two guys at FoxSports.

It seems the word is out - never criticize a Steelers draft. Its not by dumb luck that a team makes 3 SBs in 6 years and is in the hunt year in and year out.

http://msn.foxsports.com/video?vid=6..._featuredvideo
ETL is offline   Reply With Quote