Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-18-2006, 07:58 AM   #1
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031
Default A statistical examination.....

We all know that Santonio Holmes looked good during his first professional minicamp, but how good will he be in 2006? Blogger Ryan Wilson investigates.

Since commissioner Paul Tagliabue stepped to the podium way back on April 29 to inform us that the Steelers had selected wide receiver Santonio Holmes with their first-round pick, I haven't heard one Steelers' fan bemoan the selection. Nary a dissenter. That's pretty remarkable when you think about it. I guess this is what happens when your team wins the Super Bowl, re-signs almost all essential personnel, and has very few holes on the depth chart.
Last weekend, Pittsburgh wrapped up their minicamp and all reports on not only Holmes, but third-round wideout Willie Reid, were very encouraging. Like I mentioned Tuesday, that's what you expect to hear in May when guys are running around in shorts and tee shirts.

But looking ahead to the 2006 season, what are some realistic expectations for these two guys? As it stands, Hines Ward and Cedrick Wilson are the starters, and Nate Washington is penciled in as the slot receiver. While immediate contributions from the rookies would be welcome, that's more a luxury than a need at this point for the Steelers. In a perfect world, Holmes' NFL career would pick up right where his college career left off, but more often than not, wide receivers struggle early as professionals and don't usually have a "Hey, that guy's playing like a first-round draft pick!" type season until year three or so.

Honestly, I have no idea how Holmes' and Reid's season will unfold, but we can look to the past to get a general sense of what might happen in the future. Since 1970, the Steelers have drafted 60 wide receivers (at least by my count) and for your viewing pleasure I've thrown together some tables reflecting how these players have done.

Before going on, a couple of disclaimers: First, I'm only looking at players drafted by the Steelers, not guys acquired via free agency or trade. Second, this isn't some fancy pants analysis; it's just a look at how the average wideout performed based on experience and where they were drafted; I didn't account for quarterback, offensive philosophy, team record, or what your best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Santonio pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. We're talking ballpark here ? just a quick and dirty look at how the 2006 season might shape up based on prior performances by guys in similar situations.

With that in mind, here's how Steelers-drafted wide receivers have fared based on their time in the league (YR1, YR2 ? etc.) and draft status (RD1, RD2 ? etc.):

RD1 RD2 RD3 RD4
YR1 (Rec) 30 20 10 10
(Rec Yds) 446 310 168 174
(Rec TDs) 3 2 1 1

YR2 (Rec) 42 35 24 8
(Rec Yds) 660 421 306 138
(Rec TDs) 6 2 2 1

YR3 (Rec) 41 35 36 7
(Rec Yds) 688 508 450 82
(Rec TDs) 3 2 2 1

YR4 (Rec) 39 22 56 32
(Rec Yds) 549 430 709 605
(Rec TDs) 3 4 5 4
So what does this all mean? Well, if Holmes and Reid are exactly average Steelers draft picks, we can expect them to put up 2006 numbers that might look like this:
Rec RecYds RecTDs
Holmes 30 446 3
Reid 10 168 1
Yeah, not great and not awful ... just, um, average. But if we're being realistic, this would be a respectable start to Holmes' career. And since Reid was drafted as a return threat first and a pass-catching threat second, any offense he provides as a rookie is gravy. Whatever the final regular season stats look like, it's important to remember that it often takes some time for guys to make the transition from college to the NFL.
For some perspective, consider this: In the last three seasons only two rookie first-rounders have finished in the top-30 in the league in receiving yards: Michael Clayton in 2004 and Andre Johnson in 2003. (Anquan Boldin finished third in the NFL in 2003, but he was a second-round pick.) During that time 16 wideouts were drafted in the first round.

If you're a Steelers fan you're also well aware that how a first-round rookie wide receiver starts his career certainly isn't indicative of how the rest of it will play out. Since 1970, here are how all the Steelers' first-round wideouts managed as rookies:

Rec RecYds RecTDs
P. Burress('00) 23 273 0
T. Edwards('99) 61 714 5
C. Johnson('94) 38 577 3
L. Lipps('84) 45 860 9
L. Swann('74) 11 208 2
F. Lewis('71) 3 44 0
Just in case you needed reminding, Edwards and Swann are two prime examples of the "It's not where you start, it's where you finish" clich? we should all be repeating to ourselves this summer and into training camp. I know I'd be pretty psyched if Holmes busted out 61-714-5 numbers in 2006 and I would probably quit my job to join the campaign for his Rookie of the Year candidacy.
Conversely, I would be just as bummed if he posted an 11-208-2. I wouldn't call Holmes a bust with those numbers ? not publicly anyway ? but I'm sure I'd be thinking it (at least subconsciously before quietly yelling at myself for being an unreasonable idiot). But that's the problem with being a fan: we're very impatient, and expect to see immediate returns on our investment even though for most of us that investment consists of the six-pack we down during the game while we throw things around the living room. Making things worse, of course, is that we'd readily trade a Troy Edwards rookie season for a Lynn Swann career, and then curse our luck when Edwards revealed himself to be ? well, Troy Edwards for the rest of his playing days.

You want more proof that first-round picks take time to develop? Here's what John Clayton wrote just yesterday:

High expectations drove ? Plaxico Burress from the [team] that drafted [him]? He had a 1,008-yard season in 2001 and a 1,325-yard season in 2002. Good numbers. Still, the Steelers' No. 1 receiver was Hines Ward, a tough, physical leader who has carried the Steelers to the Super Bowl. Unless you're the St. Louis Rams, it's hard to have two No. 1 receivers, so someone has to be No. 2, and that was Burress.
Because of that, Burress wasn't offered a contract following the 2004 season and he left for New York where he helped the Giants and Eli Manning make the playoffs.

So what have we learned? First, don't ever hire a fan to be an NFL general manager ? only bad things can happen (see my Edwards/Swann comment above ? and the Detroit Lions). Second, on average, first-year receivers don't put up great numbers, but we already knew that. (Still, it bears repeating.). Third, and more important, first-year performances do not a career make. That's something we also probably know, but conveniently choose to forget when a rookie has a gallingly bad game, or does something goofy like inexplicably spike-the-ball fumbles. Lucky for Holmes and Reid, Plax set the bar pretty low with that performance.

By: Ryan Wilson
SteelCityInsider.com
Date: May 18, 2006

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:02 AM   #2
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Re: A statistical examination.....

Hell, Troy Edwards had a pretty productive year as a rookie...I forgot about that. I look for Holmes to be in the 50-800-5 range.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 10:26 AM   #3
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Suit, if he puts up 50-800-5 in his rookie year, thats way more than EL
Old 05-18-2006, 11:32 AM   #4
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

I just dont know if he will get the opportunities to catch 50 balls... Especially when I think about how Cowher takes the air out of the ball in the second half with a lead.... I think the Steelers are gonna have a lot of leads in the second half of ball games this coming year.... I see Holmes catching around the same number of balls as El but for more yardage.... I think Holmes will have a greater YAC statistic than El.... Simpy put Holmes is a more polished WR right now than El.
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:45 PM   #5
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

50's a little more than 3 balls a game...very doable, especially if that POS Edwards snagged 61.

Last year, he shared time with 2 other really talented WR's on a team that is just as conservative as the Steelers, and caught 53 balls in 12 games...it could actually be argued that OSU had TWO #1 WR's in Holmes and Teddy Ginn.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:33 PM   #6
burgsville
Water Boy

Member Number: 2351

El was not a statistical machine. Big play man but disappeared some games. Look for Holmes to produce 30-40 catches. Gravy !! Dieselman you are a statistical god !!!
burgsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:41 PM   #7
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELMAN
Nary a dissenter. That's pretty remarkable when you think about it. I guess this is what happens when your team wins the Super Bowl, re-signs almost all essential personnel, and has very few holes on the depth chart.
This pick - and to be honest only in retrospect - is about the only player we could've taken in the first that precludes me from being a dissenter. Of course only time will tell but passing on LenDale White could have been a mistake...

Unless you're getting a guy like Holmes. Now another move up in the first and it looks like a another coup.

And this perspective puts enormous weight on Whiz to maximize Verron and Heath. I think we know what we get from Fast Willie. So let the year play out and hope & pray Duce goes back to being Un-Duced.

Then worry about bringing in a new RB next off-season
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:47 PM   #8
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

I posted before that Holmes will have around 40 catches for 700 yards and 6 TD's and I'm sticking to it.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:49 PM   #9
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgsville
El was not a statistical machine. Big play man but disappeared some games. Look for Holmes to produce 30-40 catches. Gravy !! Dieselman you are a statistical god !!!

ARE not only disappeared some games but he was flat out counter-productive at times. Perhaps a little unfair but I put that New England loss last year squarely on his shoulders.

That lateral to Hines was most likely - no it was - the most stupid play of the year. And no not even Maddox because I blame the coaching staff for him even being in the game. We had unbelievable momentum and a first down in the red zone and the Pats were down and playing on their heels.

We lost by 3.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:58 PM   #10
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt
ARE not only disappeared some games but he was flat out counter-productive at times. Perhaps a little unfair but I put that New England loss last year squarely on his shoulders.

That lateral to Hines was most likely - no it was - the most stupid play of the year. And no not even Maddox because I blame the coaching staff for him even being in the game. We had unbelievable momentum and a first down in the red zone and the Pats were down and playing on their heels.

We lost by 3.
Yep I agree that El cost us that game against the Pats. That play gave the Pats life in that game. I was shocked when El did that. I had visions of Plax running in my head when that happened. Plax his rookie year in 2000 when he spiked a live ball.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote