Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-18-2006, 10:20 AM   #1
Stillers#1
Banned

Member Number: 1082
Default Porter quote taken out of context?

Porter says comments about President taken out of context
Mike Bires
05/18/2006
Email to a friendPrinter-friendly

Advertisement

PITTSBURGH

- Last week, Hines Ward claimed one of his quotes was taken out of context by a sports writer. This week, it's Joey Porter turn.

On Wednesday via the team's media relations department, Porter said that recent statements he made regarding the Pittsburgh Steelers' June 2 to the White House were taken out of context.

"I regret that my quotes about our team's upcoming visit to the White House were taken out of context," the three-time Pro Bowl linebacker said in the three-paragraph statement. "I am very excited to have an opportunity to visit the White House and meet the president of the United States. The quotes attributed to me in the media in recent days were inaccurate."

On Sunday between minicamp practices, Porter was asked about going to the White House where the Steelers will be recognized for winning Super Bowl XL.

With several reporters standing around him, Porter jokingly answered several White House-related questions. At least three local print media outlets quoted Porter and stressed he was speaking tongue-in-cheek.

"Yeah, I have something to say to Bush, too. I'm looking forward to it. But like I said, I have something to tell him. I don't like the way things are running right now. So I have something to tell Bush," Porter said while laughing.

"The government's taking too much money out of my pocket," Porter said later in the interview, again while laughing.

Despite saying that, Porter changed his tune in his statement.

"During a lighthearted session with the media, I did joke with them about meeting Uncle Sam and FICA (the Federal Insurance Contributions Act)," Porter said in the statement. "I did not say that I disapproved of President Bush or the job he has done leading our country.

"We will be guests of the President and I would never do anything to disrespect him."

Ward, the Steelers' star wide receiver, claimed one of his quotes regarding coach Bill Cowher was taken out of context in last week's editions of Sports Illustrated.

"Joey just wants to make sure that everyone knows that he doesn't have a problem with President Bush and the way he's running the country," a Steelers' spokesman said Wednesday.

Mike Bires can be reached online at mbires@timesonline.com

?Beaver County Times Allegheny Times 2006

Maybe it's just me, but does it seem like A. The media is trying to hose the Steelers and make it look like eit's not all sunshine and candy in the 'Burgh. or B. Maybe some of our players are getting a little too big for their britches. What do you guys think?
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
SteelerzGirl
Banned

Member Number: 689
Default Re: Porter quote taken out of context?

I absolutely believe Porter's comments were taken out of context, especially since he was laughing while he made them. I also know that the Pittsburgh Steelers' organization would never condone anyone on their team acting inappropriately while visiting the White House.

I think we all can say that there are a few things we would like to say to the President if we had the chance, whatever those things may be, but I don't think we would all necessarily say them out of respect for him and/or his position as the President of the most powerful country on the planet. Besides, I'm sure there's nothing anyone could say to him, postively or negatively, that he hasn't already heard one way or another.
SteelerzGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:59 PM   #3
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default Re: Porter quote taken out of context?

Who cares anyway? I didn't know we lived in Nazi Germany. This is America were a person has the right to say and think what he or she wants. Even if Porter was or wasn't serious with his comments it's his right as a American to say them. Just another thing that gets way over blown by the media.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote