Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-01-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Fruit of their Labor

Fruit of their Labor
http://pit.scout.com/2/1068822.html
By By SteelCityInsider.net

Posted Apr 30, 2011

At the end of a long weekend, the Steelers can sit back and reflect on the process. The team rounded it out Saturday with two offensive and two defensive players.

Pittsburgh — The draft is over and so is contact with football players for the Steelers and the NFL's other 31 teams.

The NFL owners' lockout of their players was reinstated over the weekend and the draft was the last contact any team could have with players or prospective players. The Steelers came out of the weekend with seven draft picks, but instead of scouring the country for free agent rookies to sign, Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert and his scouting staff went back to work, kind of.

“It's unusual because you don't know who, what, where or when,” Colbert said when asked about the annual task of signing undrafted players. “Actually, it should help us. We never really have the time to study these undrafted guys because we're too busy preparing for the draft. Now, we'll have time to devote to evaluating both veteran and rookie free agents.”

Coach Mike Tomlin noted that the Steelers are not alone in this black hole created by the lack of a collective bargaining agreement between NFL players and the owners.

“We have some uncertainty at various positions on our team, just like all other teams do,” Tomlin said. “I feel comfortable with it from that standpoint because every team is in the same situation.”

As for the draft, Colbert said what he says every year at this time and admitted as much.

“As usual, we feel good about the players we drafted,” Colbert said. “Hopefully, they are what we think they are.”

Tomlin applauded the effort put forth by his coaching staff and Colbert's personnel staff in preparing for the draft, which Colbert said went almost exactly as expected.

“Going through this draft, we never felt we missed out on somebody by picking who we picked,” Colbert said.

“This,” Tomlin said, referring to a list of the team's 2011 draft class, “is the fruit of our labor and we are pleased with it.”

You never have enough depth at outside linebacker when you play a 3-4 defense, so the Steelers used a fifth-round pick to add depth to a position that already includes James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, perhaps the best starting tandem in the league.

The Steelers selected 6-1, 250-pound linebacker Chris Carter, who by linebackers coach Keith Butler's own admission is “a couple years” away from contributing as a pass rusher. That makes him the latest in a long line of special teams players who become outside linebackers.

“He's used to being in a three-point stance,” Butler said of Carter, who played defensive end at Fresno State. “The two-point stance is awkward for him right now. The techniques we ask him to use will be Chinese to him. It will take him a couple of years.”

It took Harrison time and it took Woodley time to learn all the Steelers want their outside linebackers to do. Butler said Jason Worilds, last year's No. 2 pick, is still learning.

“He has a good motor and a lot of speed off the edge,” Butler added when asked what made Carter attractive to the Steelers. Carter lasted into the fifth round, according to Butler, because “he's a hard fit. Most teams see him as a 4-3 end.”

In the sixth round, the Steelers added depth to the offensive line by picking Nebraska guard Keith Williams (6-4, 318). He has the size and mentality the Steelers love in interior linemen.

“He's very physical,” line coach Sean Kugler said. “He's got some nasty in him. He has some pulling skills that I think will help us. He's a smart kid and I think he'll be a quality guard for us.”

Williams needs work on pass protection technique, but that wasn't surprising to Kugler.

“Sometimes with guys who are overly aggressive, that happens,” Kugler said when asked about pass protection.”

“In the run game, I like to get after it,” Williams said. “In the pass game, I need some work.”

Speaking of the run game, the Steelers used their last pick on running back Baron Batch (5-10, 210) from Texas Tech. He was the 232nd pick of the draft.

Batch worked in Texas Tech's spread offense until last season and Batch learned how to be a pro in that offense.

“Byron was an excellent running back in an offense that is like a third-down offense in this league,” Colbert said.

“I think the Steelers were impressed with how I picked up the blitz,” Batch said. “Our offense really prepared me for the NFL because there was a lot of blitz pick-up involved. I consider myself a physical player.”

Batch was the player who caught fellow Steelers draft pick Curtis Brown from behind on Brown's interception return last season and noted that they watched the clip of the play when both visited the Steelers together prior to the draft.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: Fruit of their Labor

We don't have the benefit of waiting 3 years for players to step up anymore.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
davidtrout
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17600

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
We don't have the benefit of waiting 3 years for players to step up anymore.
Why not?
Old 05-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtrout View Post
Why not?
Farrior,Keisel,Clark,Harrison,Hampton,Hoke,Eason ...Except for Clark are 33 and older...nuff said
Old 05-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
davidtrout
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17600

Quote:
Farrior,Keisel,Clark,Harrison,Hampton,Hoke,Eason ...Except for Clark are 33 and older...nuff said
It's actually not nuff. We just spent two 1st rd picks on DE so barring disaster, we can remove Keisel, Smith, and Eason from your list.

Beyond the first round and aberrations like Wallace we have no choice but to wait and see. Giving rookies three years to develop is not a benefit, it's a necessity. What other choice is there?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,026 Times in 412 Posts

Quote:
Farrior replaced by Sly
Kiesel, Smith, Hoke, Eason will be put in rotation with Cameron
Harrison has 2-3 years and when he's gone the Steelers have a choice with Worilids and Carter
Hampton we'll need a replacement so we could possibly draft NT first round next year or a CB depending on how the rookies progress
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:20 AM   #7
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

The F.O knows what it is doing, I suspect they think they will resign Ike, but I think Brown can come in and play nickel. I also believe that Butler has what the Steelers are looking for at corner. Our DL ( I would be surprised if Eason is even on the roster) will be improved and now an injury at DE won't hamper us as much as last season. We still have Fote and Sly in the middle with Sly being the replacement for Farrior, Hoke is still young by laying standards and we should be god at NT for at least a couple of years with him and Casey. With better front seven play because of healthy DL we will be most certainly be better on the back end.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,163 Times in 1,262 Posts

seems like a lot of people have thrown butler, gay, lewis under the rug saying they have no chance, but then on the other hand they are saying the new cbs' take 2 to 3 years to develop. to me that would mean this is the year lewis, butler, gay get it going..

right? or am i way off?
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH-Rock View Post
Farrior replaced by Sly
Kiesel, Smith, Hoke, Eason will be put in rotation with Cameron
Harrison has 2-3 years and when he's gone the Steelers have a choice with Worilids and Carter
Hampton we'll need a replacement so we could possibly draft NT first round next year or a CB depending on how the rookies progress
We can't afford to pay keisel and Smith plus a first round pick so Smith will be gone.....Hate to say it but with back surgery in the offseason Harrison won't get 3 more years....Hampton is overpaid, but we had no other choice, no replacement....Sly has many question marks...
Old 05-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #10
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479

We have plenty of time to develop players. I don't see any of those guys leaving for at least two years or so. Hines will be gone after this season but we are stacked at receiver. We still have plenty of time to develop younger guys.