Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Cook: Re-signing Taylor becomes a priority

Cook: Re-signing Taylor becomes a priority
Sunday, May 01, 2011
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Relax.

So the Steelers didn't get the cornerback they needed in the three-day NFL draft? They are going to re-sign Ike Taylor.

They had better re-sign Ike Taylor.

The Steelers know that. That's why they didn't reach to take a corner with the No. 31 pick Thursday night in the first round. They could have taken Virginia's Raz-I Dowling, who went to the New England Patriots at No. 33, or Texas' Aaron Williams, who went to the Buffalo Bills at No. 34, but they didn't have either valued as a first-rounder. They made the right call taking Ohio State defensive end Cameron Heyward, who should help them for years.

The Steelers knew they have Taylor to fall back on.

They also didn't take a cornerback Friday night in the second round, although we'll never know if they would have picked Miami's Brandon Harris, who went to the Houston Texans three picks before their selection. Florida offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert was their choice. It never hurts to collect big, talented offensive tackles.

Again, Taylor is there to be re-signed.

The Steelers did get corners in the third and fourth rounds -- Curtis Brown of Texas and Cortez Allen of The Citadel -- but it's hardly reasonable to expect them to step in next season and be more than special teams contributors. They went as late as they did in the draft for a reason. There's much greater chance each will be a Keenan Lewis -- a bust so far after being the Steelers' No. 3 pick in 2009 -- than, say, an Ike Taylor.

There's that name again.

Some have speculated Taylor's price has gone way up for the Steelers because of the way their draft unfolded. Certainly, they need him now more than ever. It's hard to imagine them going into next season with Bryant McFadden and William Gay as their only veteran cornerbacks. It's not as if there's one out there in free agency whom they can afford or who fits into their defensive scheme, which requires a corner to tackle on run support as well as cover. You can forget about them signing Oakland Raiders free agent Nnamdi Asomugha to a huge deal. It's not their way to sell out for any free agent.

Taylor would be a fool not to use any leverage he has to his financial advantage. NFL careers are so short. A player has to make his money while he can. Taylor made it clear at the Super Bowl that, as much as he loves playing for the Steelers, giving them a home-team discount isn't necessarily a given. "You only get one shot at this kind of money. It's like hitting the lotto."

But Taylor might not have quite as much leverage as he and his agent think. The Arizona Cardinals, New York Giants and Baltimore Ravens took cornerbacks in the first round -- LSU's Patrick Peterson, Nebraska's Prince Amukamara and Colorado's Jimmy Smith, respectively. The Patriots got Dowling, the Bills Williams. The Texans traded up to get Harris. That's six fewer teams to bid on Taylor. The delay of free agency until after the draft because of the NFL lockout hurts him and all other veterans in his situation.

Of course, it only takes one other club to blow away the Steelers with an offer for Taylor. If that team steps up, the Steelers will let him go. They do not overpay for any player. You can't overpay. That's a rotten way to do business.

The guess here is Taylor will not get that outrageous offer. He has played eight NFL seasons without making a Pro Bowl, mainly because he can't catch the football. It's fair to think his value is greater to the Steelers than to another club because he knows their defense so well.

"I always get the other team's best receiver," Taylor said at the Super Bowl. "I'm used to it. Look at my tape. Look at anyone else's tape. I'm just as good if not better than anyone you pick."

As for all of those dropped interceptions?

"How do you define a shutdown corner?" Taylor asked. "Isn't it keeping the guy from catching the football? I think I do that as well as anyone."

The Steelers know what Taylor can do. They also have a pretty good idea what it will cost to do a new deal with him. They had preliminary discussions with him and his representative before the lockout put an end to such talks. They are not afraid of the number they will have to put on a contract for him. The feeling among people in the organization is they will get a deal done.

They had better be right.

(God help this team if we don't sign Taylor. Even if we resign "old", "hands of stone", Taylor our secondary is going to get torched. If Troy goes down again and given his injury history and the way he plays that is a distinct possibility, we will have nothing back there. It's going to be a long season if there is one. Also Taylor at 30 years old could easily go down as well and then what? Gay as a starting corner?

Even if one of the many corners in first two rounds were not worth what the supposed value of their pick they would have still been much better than what we have now. This is where the Steelers obsession with drafting the best player available irrespective of team needs really bites us.

Also why could we not have moved up two slots to grab Harris? Saying that he wasn't worth a being 28th in the second round is just an opinion. Houston thought he was and moved up much further than we would have had to. Was moving up two whole slots that much of reach to get a corner that is at least as good as anything we have now?

Another consideration is it takes time for a corner to learn the job so next year we will be in the same situation again. We won't have a top flight corner. Had we drafted one this year then we would have been much further ahead of the curve because the CB would have had time to learn the job. So next year once again our secondary will be pathetically weak and please don't expect miracles from our number three and four CB picks this year. They are too damn slow to be top flight corners and you can't coach speed. They are at best nickle and dime backs which is why they lasted till the third and fourth rounds.

If this is such a passing league then you need two or three top flight corners and even with Taylor we barely have one adequate corner. Behind him we have nothing.

Get used to being to our secondary being destroyed for the next few years. Brady, Rodgers or any other half way decent QB will rip us apart with a spread offense. Then it won't matter if teams can't run on us. What good is the best run defense if teams rip your pass defense to shreds? Even if we make the playoffs we will just bounced out. This draft was a total cluster flop. - mesa)

Ron Cook: rcook@post-gazette.com. Ron Cook can be heard on the "Vinnie and Cook" show weekdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on 93.7 The Fan. More articles by this author

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11121...#ixzz1L6kI5nWs
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329
Default Re: Cook: Re-signing Taylor becomes a priority

(God help this team if we don't sign Taylor. Even if we resign "old", "hands of stone", Taylor our secondary is going to get torched. If Troy goes down again and given his injury history and the way he plays that is a distinct possibility, we will have nothing back there. It's going to be a long season if there is one. Also Taylor at 30 years old could easily go down as well and then what? Gay as a starting corner?

Would you be willing to tell us where you got your crystal ball?

Even if one of the many corners in first two rounds were not worth what the supposed value of their pick they would have still been much better than what we have now. This is where the Steelers obsession with drafting the best player available irrespective of team needs really bites us.

They're better and they haven't even been given a number yet, let alone play down?

Also why could we not have moved up two slots to grab Harris? Saying that he wasn't worth a being 28th in the second round is just an opinion. Houston thought he was and moved up much further than we would have had to. Was moving up two whole slots that much of reach to get a corner that is at least as good as anything we have now?

You do realize that it takes two to tango? How do you know that they didn't try too move up and couldn't find a willing partner?

Another consideration is it takes time for a corner to learn the job so next year we will be in the same situation again. We won't have a top flight corner. Had we drafted one this year then we would have been much further ahead of the curve because the CB would have had time to learn the job. So next year once again our secondary will be pathetically weak and please don't expect miracles from our number three and four CB picks this year. They are too damn slow to be top flight corners and you can't coach speed. They are at best nickle and dime backs which is why they lasted till the third and fourth rounds.

If this is such a passing league then you need two or three top flight corners and even with Taylor we barely have one adequate corner. Behind him we have nothing.

Get used to being to our secondary being destroyed for the next few years. Brady, Rodgers or any other half way decent QB will rip us apart with a spread offense. Then it won't matter if teams can't run on us. What good is the best run defense if teams rip your pass defense to shreds? Even if we make the playoffs we will just bounced out. This draft was a total cluster flop. - mesa)

RUN!!! RUN AND HIDE!! THE SKY IS FALLING,THE SKY IS FALLING!!!
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
davidtrout
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17600

Wow! This reads like this: "If the Steelers had just moved up three spots to draft Brandon Harris we would have won the next give SBs in a row. Alas they did not. At least we'll have a good shot at a shutdown corner next year, seeing as we will have the #1 overall pick and all."

I find it astounding that anyone can think one player or the lack there of, can make such a difference. We aren't even talking about a QB.

The Steelers will be just fine without help from any of us. I thought it was another stellar draft. But what do I know.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Guess I need to find a high window to go jump out of. Seriously though, someone needs to get a grip. Or at the very least spare everyone else their inline editorializing when they post an article.
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
finesward
Team Captain

Member Number: 14448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixburgher View Post
Guess I need to find a high window to go jump out of. Seriously though, someone needs to get a grip. Or at the very least spare everyone else their inline editorializing when they post an article.
said the same thing in one his other threads...enough already with the bold italicized underlined BS... I think from posting so many artciles mesa is starting to actually believe everything that is being printed. Him, llama, and thumper seem to all share the same sky is falling mentality. maybe all three of em should get together and circle while they and from the sky that is FOR SURE falling
finesward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479

I love that everyone keeps thinking that our CB equal more Super Bowls and people are so pissy about the Steelers best available belief and how it is "hurting us" Yep, I believe that crap that is why we are fifth on the all time wins list in NFL history and the top three in wins since 1970.

What people seem to forget is that you can win with average corners...as we have done. If you can pressure the QB than you can win without those so called amazing shut down corners. We have done it twice...Deshea and Ike are not shutdown guys but we won XL with them, BMac and Ike weren't and we won XLIII, and we made it to XLV with Ike and BMac/Gay.

We drafted two great pressure guys and I think that as long as you can keep the pressure on you can win. We bitch about the draft (which I understand everyone's opinions) but they know what they are doing.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Ok fine I'll go away. Post your articles yourselves then.

Goodbye forever.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post

Goodbye forever.
Holy melodrama batman
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #9
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497

The only corner this year that would've been an impact and started for us was Patrick Peterson. But do you want to give 6 picks like the Atlanta Falcons to get him? Jimmy Smith is a close second, but they baggage they brought is too much. I think the only team that could manage him, is the team that drafted him, the Ravens. Ray Lewis and Ed Reed will put him in his place. The only person I see on our defense that is a true leader is Farrior.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:52 PM   #10
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 5,079 Times in 1,965 Posts
My Mood: Angelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post

Goodbye forever.
What? You just get your arse back here, mesa. Holy moly, you have almost 7,000 posts. I look forward to and read every single article you post. They are very informative and I don't care if you editorialize. You are free to your opinion just like everybody else.

I think we all need to show a little respect to the veterans.
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote