Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-02-2007, 04:49 PM   #21
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,330 Times in 3,527 Posts
Default Re: why santonio holmes will find success in pitt.

looking deeper into santonios numbers we see that 41 of his 49 catches were for 1st downs. very impressive. only 12 catches were for 20+ yds and 3 were for 40+ yet he averaged 16.8 ypc. (better than plex's career average ypc and a number burress has only topped twice. 63/988/10 td and 15.7 ypc this year for the giants)

700 punt and kick return yards with 1 td. 5 fumbles but only 2 were lost. after a poor year for the team i say him and a healthy ward are bright spots going into next season.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:52 PM   #22
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
very good article by john clayton sums up why holmes will not travel the route of the large number of 1st round wr busts:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=2448029

in brief, the steelers have the luxury to patiently bring him along slowly, and not expect him to come in and put up #1 wr stats immediately. he will be allowed to develop.
can you paste the article? I dont have ESPN in.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #23
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,330 Times in 3,527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borski View Post
can you paste the article? I dont have ESPN in.
sorry. dont have it. it used to be a non subscribed article but now that it is an archive i guess you have to pay to access it. i wouldve pasted the whole thing at the time (wish i wouldve) but it was fairly long. bummer.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:01 PM   #24
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,131 Times in 576 Posts

I think its more simple. He is very talented. He is fast and the son of a gun catches everything thrown to him. If I were Big Ben and holmes, I would go talk to Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning and figure out how they can have that kind of communication for the next 8 years. Those OSU recievers, their like USC Safties, they are money players in the pros.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:26 AM   #25
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
looking deeper into santonios numbers we see that 41 of his 49 catches were for 1st downs. very impressive. only 12 catches were for 20+ yds and 3 were for 40+ yet he averaged 16.8 ypc. (better than plex's career average ypc and a number burress has only topped twice. 63/988/10 td and 15.7 ypc this year for the giants)

700 punt and kick return yards with 1 td. 5 fumbles but only 2 were lost. after a poor year for the team i say him and a healthy ward are bright spots going into next season.
Jury is still out. Well. No. They were sent home. Thankfully for now.

"Tone" is without question showing flashs of brilliance. He is starting to do the right things and even better he is not in the press. I'm completely sold on his talent.

And I'm buying into the chance that he is a team player...sort of.

WHAT WORRIES ME is that history repeats. What history? Look at our last three No. 1 picks who were receivers. The Pittsburgh Steeler Org. is not a haven for problem children.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:36 AM   #26
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
I think its more simple. He is very talented. He is fast and the son of a gun catches everything thrown to him. If I were Big Ben and holmes, I would go talk to Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning and figure out how they can have that kind of communication for the next 8 years. Those OSU recievers, their like USC Safties, they are money players in the pros.
" like USC Safties, they are money players in the pros."

SC Linebackers too.

Marvin Harrison is one of the greatest receivers I've ever witnessed. Second to Rice for now. For now.

That being said. Hines Ward is worth every dime and dollar. I can't believe how much I under-estimated his on-field presence this season.

LEAD BY EXAMPLE. HINES WARD!!!!
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:06 AM   #27
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

Quote:
sorry. dont have it. it used to be a non subscribed article but now that it is an archive i guess you have to pay to access it. i wouldve pasted the whole thing at the time (wish i wouldve) but it was fairly long. bummer.
never mind, I didnt realize that this was an old article.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:00 AM   #28
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

When looking at Holmes, you look at a young kid who missed half of training camp, and fell behind on the learning curv because of it. His fumbles that help cost us some games put in ??, but as the season went on, you seen him start to get the timing routs down better, seen less busted routes, his ball handling got better. And I believe as that last catch of the Bengals game is showing what we have to look forward to next season. I think with a good training camp with Ben and him together going into next season will totally get him on the same page and it will be totally awsome to see holmes and ward tear defenses apart.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:04 AM   #29
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

Here you go:

Quote:
Jimmy Smith's sudden retirement should prove simple solutions aren't easy in the NFL.

Smith was the Jaguars No. 1 receiver for a decade. When he clicked with Keenan McCardell, Jacksonville was a perennial playoff contender. But age eventually catches up to every athlete, and teams must plan accordingly. It would appear the simple solution to replacing a No. 1 receiver is to use a No. 1 draft pick on a receiver.

Not so fast. It's not that easy. The Jaguars have used three first-round picks in the past seven drafts on receivers -- R. Jay Soward (2000), Reggie Williams (2004) and Matt Jones (2005) -- and none has produced a season with more than 36 catches.

Finding a No. 1 receiver has been a No. 1 headache for many teams.

Since Mike Shanahan took over the Broncos in 1995, he has invested 16 draft choices in receivers and hasn't found one yet. Included in those choices are two first-round picks (Marcus Nash and Ashley Lelie), one second-round pick (Darius Watts) and two third-rounders (Travis McGriff and Chris Cole). The most catches a receiver drafted by Shanahan has had in a season is 54, by Lelie in 2004.

The list of first-round failures is endless. Sylvester Morris (Kansas City, 2000 draft), Freddie Mitchell (Philadelphia, 2001), David Terrell (Chicago, 2001), Soward (Jacksonville, 2000) and Rod Gardner (Washington, 2001) headline the list of recent failures. Eleven of the 16 first-round receivers taken between 2000 and 2003 haven't or won't get second contracts from the teams that drafted them. Of the other five, Reggie Wayne is the only one to have actually secured a new deal. The Lions have used three top-10 picks on wide receivers in the past four drafts and are still buried in the bottom of the passing stats.

In a passing league, why do teams drop the ball on receivers in the draft more than any other position?

The answer is simple: expectations.

If a first-round pick isn't putting up No. 1 receiving numbers three or four years into his contract, he's considered a disappointment and he won't be re-signed. Just because the first-round pick is included in his bio, does he have to put up No. 1 receiver numbers to be a good player?

One of the problems in the NFL is the turnover of coaches and how dramatically systems can change when new hires come in. Big receivers fit best in West Coast offenses. Smaller, quicker receivers who are better running after the catch fit better in the Mike Martz-Al Saunders-Norv Turner-Don Coryell system. But converting one receiver to fit into the other type of offense doesn't always work, so teams tend to move on and find alternatives.

Look at what's going on in Detroit. Roy Williams, Charles Rogers and Mike Williams have the ideal size for a West Coast offense that needs bigger bodies to go across the middle for catches. But they don't fit new coordinator Mike Martz's offense. Only Roy Williams has the skills to fit the Martz system. Expect Rogers to be gone before the start of the regular season, and Mike Williams might be on the way out next offseason.

High expectations drove Santana Moss and Plaxico Burress from the teams that drafted them. Despite being injury prone and inconsistent in the West Coast offense, Moss, who was the Jets' first-round pick in 2001, had a 1,105-yard season with the team in 2003. But that wasn't good enough so they shipped him to the Washington Redskins where he re-emerged as a Pro Bowl receiver and one of the most exciting players in the NFC. Indeed, Moss became the No. 1 receiver in a scheme for which his skills are a better fit.

The same can be said for Burress in Pittsburgh. He had a 1,008-yard season in 2001 and a 1,325-yard season in 2002. Good numbers. Still, the Steelers' No. 1 receiver was Hines Ward, a tough, physical leader who has carried the Steelers to the Super Bowl. Unless you're the St. Louis Rams, it's hard to have two No. 1 receivers, so someone has to be No. 2, and that was Burress.

Because of that, Burress wasn't offered a contract following the 2004 season and he left for New York where he helped the Giants and Eli Manning make the playoffs.

Unless teams want to waste time and money developing No. 1 receivers, they should change the standards on what they are looking for from first-round wide receivers. Steve Smith (Carolina), Chad Johnson (Cincinnati), Derrick Mason (Baltimore), Chris Chambers (Miami), Ward (Pittsburgh) and Deion Branch (New England) are among the many receivers who have developed into No. 1s even though they weren't taken in the first round.

It's possible to become a star in the NFL through hard-work, training and execution. Look at Smith, whose 5-foot-9, 185-pound body didn't fit the first-round prototype. The Panthers invested a third-round choice on him in 2001 thinking he might be a good third receiver who also could return kicks.

Smith came to the Panthers with an attitude. He believed he was a No. 1 receiver and played with a chip on his shoulder. His overconfidence often collided with management. But as Smith played and developed, he became the No. 1 receiver. Last year, he was the league's best receiver. He was right, he was a No. 1. But because expectations weren't unrealistic, Smith had time to develop into a Pro Bowl receiver.

It was interesting to hear Ward's offseason complaints about the Steelers using first-round picks to try to replace him. He fought and scrapped and battled to be the Steelers' go-to receiver. No No. 1 pick can take that reality away from him. The more Ben Roethlisberger goes to Ward, the more success the Steelers have.

What has to be remembered is that first-round picks go in the first-round for a reason. They have the height, speed and athletic skills that spew out numbers that place them among the top 32 athletes in the draft.

Say what you want about Lelie in Denver, but the guy is a talent. Even though he hasn't developed into the long-term replacement for Rod Smith and probably will be traded before too long, he has skills. He has averaged 17.9 yards per catch during his Broncos career. But the Broncos always wanted more out of him and found his replacement when they traded for Javon Walker. Lelie wants out and Mike Shanahan wants him out.

But the expectations for Lelie were too high because he was a No. 1 pick. If Darius Watts, a second-round disappointment, averaged 17.9 yards a catch and 42 catches a year as the team's No. 2, he'd be deemed a success and probably would get a second contract from the Broncos and more time to develop. Because Lelie didn't put up No. 1 numbers, he's being treated with disdain.

The No. 1 problem with drafting a receiver No. 1 is that he's not allowed to be a No. 2, unless he's Wayne with the Colts. It's no surprise that Wayne is the only first-round receiver drafted since 2000 who has secured a second contract from the team that drafted him.

NFL teams had better learn that first-round receivers don't always have to turn into No. 1 receivers.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:11 PM   #30
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Thanks Tony...I missed the 5 TD's, but the Steelers were a little TD deficient this year. Holmes is the real deal...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote