Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-13-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,776 Times in 2,670 Posts
Default Polamalu Recovery On Track/A. Smith Maybe Not

Sounds like Troy is recovering but Aaron Smith is having issues - have to question in hindsight what was going on with keeping Smith on the roster and losing a 4th round LB pick to do it

This update from Gerry Dulac with the P-G

As you know, the Steelers never revealed the exact nature of Troy Polamalu’s late-season injury, referring to it simply as a foot injury (I believe was the terminology). Anyway, I have since informed you that his injury was a slight tear of his Achilles tendon, suffered returning that interception for touchdown in a Dec. 12 game against the Bengals.

His rehab appears to be going well.

Polamalu is receiving treatment and doing rehabilitation in Los Angeles under the care of an orthopedic surgeon who is friendly with the Steelers medical staff. He does not need surgery, which is the good news. The injury is healing on its own -- with the help of therapy, of course -- and he is progressing on schedule.

Polamalu is expected to be recovered in time for training camp, if there is a training camp. But the team will no doubt go easy on him in Latrobe, just as they did during the second half of the regular season when he practiced just one day a week (Friday). But he would not have been able to take part in their off-season training program, if they had them.

Polamalu's performance in the postseason, most notably in the Super Bowl, was diminished because of his injury to his Achilles. It robbed him of his trademark explosiveness. But I'm told there is no reason for them to believe he can’t or won’t be a dominating player again in 2011.

When he is healthy, as he was for the first three-quarters of the 2010 season, the five-time Pro Bowl safety is a game-changing player who was voted the NFL’s defensive player of the year.

Meantime, the prognosis for defensive end Aaron Smith is still a little murky.

He missed the final 13 games of the season because of a torn triceps tendon and the injury is healing. There have been no setbacks. But he is not fully recovered, and it is still unclear at this point if he will be 100 percent recovered in time for training camp

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...-injury-update
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792
Default Re: Polamalu Recovery On Track/A. Smith Maybe Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Sounds like Troy is recovering but Aaron Smith is having issues - have to question in hindsight what was going on with keeping Smith on the roster and losing a 4th round LB pick to do it

This update from Gerry Dulac with the P-G

As you know, the Steelers never revealed the exact nature of Troy Polamaluís late-season injury, referring to it simply as a foot injury (I believe was the terminology). Anyway, I have since informed you that his injury was a slight tear of his Achilles tendon, suffered returning that interception for touchdown in a Dec. 12 game against the Bengals.

His rehab appears to be going well.

Polamalu is receiving treatment and doing rehabilitation in Los Angeles under the care of an orthopedic surgeon who is friendly with the Steelers medical staff. He does not need surgery, which is the good news. The injury is healing on its own -- with the help of therapy, of course -- and he is progressing on schedule.

Polamalu is expected to be recovered in time for training camp, if there is a training camp. But the team will no doubt go easy on him in Latrobe, just as they did during the second half of the regular season when he practiced just one day a week (Friday). But he would not have been able to take part in their off-season training program, if they had them.

Polamalu's performance in the postseason, most notably in the Super Bowl, was diminished because of his injury to his Achilles. It robbed him of his trademark explosiveness. But I'm told there is no reason for them to believe he canít or wonít be a dominating player again in 2011.

When he is healthy, as he was for the first three-quarters of the 2010 season, the five-time Pro Bowl safety is a game-changing player who was voted the NFLís defensive player of the year.

Meantime, the prognosis for defensive end Aaron Smith is still a little murky.

He missed the final 13 games of the season because of a torn triceps tendon and the injury is healing. There have been no setbacks. But he is not fully recovered, and it is still unclear at this point if he will be 100 percent recovered in time for training camp

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...-injury-update
Smith can't play forever. He's 35 and has had serious injuries in 3 of the last 4 years. He should call it a career. He'd be nice to have as a rotational player on running downs, but Hood showed he's ready to take over. Maybe we can lock Ike up with the salary saved from Smith.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Its time for Smith to go. After Ziggys play last year and now bringing in Heyward. We can use that 4million elsewhere.

This falls into the typically Steeler mold. Once they breakdown they get let go. Smith has hung around 3/4 of a season to long. As it was posted above, we cut a 4th rd LB to keep him on the roster last year, we can't make sacrifices again this year.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
Its time for Smith to go. After Ziggys play last year and now bringing in Heyward. We can use that 4million elsewhere.

This falls into the typically Steeler mold. Once they breakdown they get let go. Smith has hung around 3/4 of a season to long. As it was posted above, we cut a 4th rd LB to keep him on the roster last year, we can't make sacrifices again this year.
Agreed....We have to play younger guys ....We need to save salary for, Ike, Troy, Woodley....etc......I hope losing Gibson for nothing doesn't bit us in the rear!
Old 05-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Agreed....We have to play younger guys ....We need to save salary for, Ike, Troy, Woodley....etc......I hope losing Gibson for nothing doesn't bit us in the rear!
I'm still baffled by the decision to keep Smith on the active roster at the expense of Gibson. Unless the coaches saw some things they really didn't like and didn't think could get fixed. How does a first year 4th round choice get axed in week 6 after he was good enough to make the team. 6 weeks later he's no good anymore and hasn't even gotten on the field in those 6 games?

I could have thought of a few others I'd have liked to seen go instead of Gibson. Battle for one.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,000 Times in 404 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i wonder how much troy has left?
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,776 Times in 2,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VASTEELER View Post
i wonder how much troy has left?
Troy has made it through only one season (2008) without missing significant time since 2005 - that makes three seasons (he did not play much in 2003) out of eight in which he has been a full time starter

Add to that injury record his history of concussions and I would not be surprised if he walks away after this season when his contract ends - a number of the smaller/quicker 70s Steelers (Ham/Wagner/Swann) were effectively through as top shelf players after no more than nine seasons and Troy may fit that pattern - unlike that era Troy presumably is set for life financially and does not need to continue playing for the paycheck

If Harrison exits with Troy to make room to try and pay both Timmons & Woodley, those changes together with the departures of such players as Smith & Farrior could make 2011 the season that closes the book on this Steelers era
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
Farrior_roirraW
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
If Harrison exits with Troy to make room to try and pay both Timmons & Woodley, those changes together with the departures of such players as Smith & Farrior could make 2011 the season that closes the book on this Steelers era
Sad, but true.

"I am proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it. I was born to be a Steeler." - Farrior
Farrior_roirraW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,472 Times in 2,325 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

smith is done. i hate to say it because he's been one of my favorite players, but father time is pulling his card
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
smith is done. i hate to say it because he's been one of my favorite players, but father time is pulling his card
Yeah, unfortunately true.

I can never forget the way Smith showed up ready to play the Sunday after his son was diagnosed with Leukemia. Will be a sad day for us when he leaves.