Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 05-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,964 Times in 3,515 Posts
Default Ike Taylor isnít down with a hometown discount

Ruh-roh

Despite a feeling in Pittsburgh that Ike Taylor was likely to return to the team, Florio credited a source recently that said Taylor planned to test the free agent market.

Taylor made that strategy pretty clear during a Wednesday appearance on Jim Rome is Burning, saying he wouldnít take a hometown discount.

ďI need that market value. I work so hard,Ē Taylor told Rome. ďIíve been through so much, I feel so unappreciated, feel so underrated at my position, I feel like itís my time to get my worth, in whatever city thatís in.Ē

The nine-year veteran was very pragmatic in the interview and hoped to stay in Pittsburgh, but he knows the Steelers track record with free agents well.

ďI would love to [return to Pittsburgh], but they usually sign player a year before [free agency], so weíll see what happens,Ē Taylor said.

Taylor could wind up getting big money from a team that falls short in the Nnamdi Asomugha sweepstakes.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...etown-discout/
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792
Default Re: Ike Taylor isnít down with a hometown discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Ruh-roh

Despite a feeling in Pittsburgh that Ike Taylor was likely to return to the team, Florio credited a source recently that said Taylor planned to test the free agent market.

Taylor made that strategy pretty clear during a Wednesday appearance on Jim Rome is Burning, saying he wouldnít take a hometown discount.

ďI need that market value. I work so hard,Ē Taylor told Rome. ďIíve been through so much, I feel so unappreciated, feel so underrated at my position, I feel like itís my time to get my worth, in whatever city thatís in.Ē

The nine-year veteran was very pragmatic in the interview and hoped to stay in Pittsburgh, but he knows the Steelers track record with free agents well.

ďI would love to [return to Pittsburgh], but they usually sign player a year before [free agency], so weíll see what happens,Ē Taylor said.

Taylor could wind up getting big money from a team that falls short in the Nnamdi Asomugha sweepstakes.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...etown-discout/
Eh. Could be a little posturing on his part. Kind of stupid to say on national TV he'll take less money. He's just trying to get the Steelers to make a true best offer. If they're close to market value I think he stays. I could be wrong, but history shows most free agents that leave the Steelers defense have a significant dropoff in production with their new team. Ike and the Steelers should both do the smart thing and find a deal that works for both sides.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

putting your Steelers bias aside, can you really blame him if he bolts to a team like the Redskins if they panic and throw top 3 or 4 CB money at him? he's started on two Super Bowl winning teams and has been a quiet, hard working player his entire time here. yeah, he's going to get paid a ton either way.. but what's wrong with maximizing your potential income?
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,964 Times in 3,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
putting your Steelers bias aside, can you really blame him if he bolts to a team like the Redskins if they panic and throw top 3 or 4 CB money at him? he's started on two Super Bowl winning teams and has been a quiet, hard working player his entire time here. yeah, he's going to get paid a ton either way.. but what's wrong with maximizing your potential income?
Nothing wrong with that - I posted previously that I thought Ike might go to the highest bidder

You have your rings - now you want to max out on that last big contract - IMO it is easier to hold on to players who have not won a Super Bowl if you have a very competitive team - once the ultimate team accomplishment has been achieved you are more likely to focus on the individual goals that are measured by the size of the contract

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=72760
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:10 AM   #5
ggoldman
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14758

why should Ike even look at a discount, its time for him to hit big, especially with this weak CB market. he is one of the few CB's that can shadow the opposing team's best receiver
ggoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

I hate to say this, but if Ike goes we are in deep s***. He can almost always keep the other teams #1 receiver in check.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Gonna be interesting after the lock out gets settled.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

See ya later Ike!
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,867 Times in 2,905 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

he would be an all-pro if he could catch the damn ball, but so would limas sweed.

if he's asking for too much cash let him walk. I'm not down with giving him revis money if he wants that
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

i love how players say "I feel SO unappreciated................"

It sometimes feels as if there isn't an athlete alive who hasn't uttered that phrase. Probably the most overused, exaggerated phrase in sports existence. I'm sure it was concocted for use by an agent or attorney because, unfortunately, it works.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote