Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-20-2006, 03:44 PM   #21
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default Re: AFC Divisional Breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
great take. i was most concerned about special teams going into the draft, especially if keisel will be relieved of st duties, but after the draft, i think our special teams could be one of the most potent in the league, whether we are kicking or receiving the ball.
Yea I was alittle concerned myself about the special teams also before the draft. El was a great punt returner no doubt. I will miss him. I liked El. But pro sports is a business and thats life. But Willie Reid was a great punt returner in college. Yea it was college and that doesn't mean Reid will be great in the NFL. But I don't think El did returns in college. I might be wrong on that. But Reid did and so I think he has the potential to be as good or better then El on returns. Plus Holmes can return also.

Brett Keisel was a very good special teams player and he might not play on special teams since he is a starter. But I'm sure we will find someone who'll step up. I like Kudla from Ohio State or Shaun Nua. I really like Anthony Smith. The guy is just a football player. I think he will be all over the place on special teams this year. Cowher knows the importance of special teams and I think thats why we drafted like we did. Yea guys like Reid and Smith might be a few years away from contributing as a reciever and a safety but those two guys will make a impact on special teams this year.

Last edited by Black@Gold Forever32; 05-20-2006 at 03:52 PM.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:04 PM   #22
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

My breakdown between the Pats,Phins,and Steelers:

Steelers (14-2): Lost ARE and Hope.ARE was not as good as everyone thinks he is.He's average at best as a reciever,his real skills were on special teams and gadget plays.Now some people think our offense is run on the gadgets...but if you watch it isn't.We run and pass,and then throw in a gadget every once-in-a-while.Can we still run the gadgets?Hell yes we can!Ward can throw the ball,Heath Miller can throw the ball,flea-flickers back to Ben who we ALL KNOW can throw the ball.

Cedric Wilson will probally start the season at the #2 reciever position unless Santonio Holmes really impresses in TC and takes the job from Cedrick.But expect to see a lot of Holmes;he has the speed,hands,and crisp route running to really get away from DB's.I expect Holmes to start at #2 some point in the season...but don't look past Wilson,he really stepped his game up in the playoffs and I look for that to transfer over into this season.

Chris Hope was our biggest loss.It would have been awesome to resign him,but stupid to overpay like the Titans did.Him and Polamalu had a real nice chemistry but there is no reason that Polamalu can't have chemistry with Ryan Clark.It won't be the same,but there is no reason to think our secondary is going to suddenly suck either.We also have Tyrone Carter who played well when given a chance last year and we drafted Anthony Smith who will probally be the starter in a year or two.Brett Keisel is going to replace Kimo who was getting old anyhow.He's gonna bring youth and excitment to DE and really make out d-line even better.Expect him to get about 8 sacks this year,much better than Kimo's 3.5.Our linebacking core is still there with Porter,Farrior,Foote,and Haggans.

There is no real hole on this team.There is no real reason to think the Steelers can't repeat as Super Bowl Champs.

New England Patriots (11-5): The division will be thiers,if Tom Brady can stay healthy.If not,there is a chance they will lose the division.Maroney will bring some new young blood to the RB position and spell Corey Dillion when his getting-old legs need a break.If Dillion doesn't step up and play like he can,then I expect Moroney to become the full-time starter on this team.If thier o-line can stay healthy than that'll give Dillion and Maroney holes to run through and keep Brady upright.If the line can't stay healthy then expect the Pats offense to struggle at times,especially against really good defenses.Troy Brown will have to have a really good year to replace Givens.Chad Jackson will get playing time,but he won't have a huge impact on the offense.

They lost the most clutch kicker in NFL history,and that could really come back to bite them in the ass.In close games,Gramattica won't make all those clutch field goals.And he won't make any in windy & snowy games,especially 45+ yarders.If they need a FG to win/tie the game,the Pas might start to wish they woulda payed Vinateri instead of taking him for granted.

The defense though solid,has shown that it indeed isn't the best the league has to offer.Teams have shown they can be scored on,and scored on they will be this year.

Miami Dolphins (8-8): Cullpepper MIGHT be an upgrade in the QB position,but nobody knows if he's any good without Randy Moss and last year he showed that he can't function properly as a QB without Moss to throw jump balls to.Not to mention he tore his knee up last year and may not be back to start the season.Joey Harrington is a downgrade and if he plays a lot then Miami could possibly lose every game he plays.He sucked in Detroit,Miami won't be any different.It doesn't help Miami's case that they open up in the home of the defending Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers (I LOVE SAYING THAT!) and will get beat up by New England twice this year.But they can beat the Bills and Jets no problem,unless Harrington is playing.

Thier defense is good,but they have lost a lot recently on that side of the ball.If thier D suffers this year and Harrington ends up playing more games at QB that anticipated,then thier win-loss record will be worse than 8-8.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:18 PM   #23
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer
My breakdown between the Pats,Phins,and Steelers:

Steelers (14-2): Lost ARE and Hope.ARE was not as good as everyone thinks he is.He's average at best as a reciever,his real skills were on special teams and gadget plays.Now some people think our offense is run on the gadgets...but if you watch it isn't.We run and pass,and then throw in a gadget every once-in-a-while.Can we still run the gadgets?Hell yes we can!Ward can throw the ball,Heath Miller can throw the ball,flea-flickers back to Ben who we ALL KNOW can throw the ball.
14-2 seems a little bit lofty...11-13 wins sounds a little more plausible.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:22 PM   #24
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,746 Times in 2,925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85
a bengals fan saying the steelers win aspirations are "lofty"????

tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:23 PM   #25
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
I have the Steelers at 12-4.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:51 PM   #26
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Okay,here is how I see our schedule playing out:

Miami- Win,even with Cullpepper playing.If Harrington plays then they will really just get anialated.

At Jax- Win,Ben will be playing not Turnover Tommy.Without Jimmy Smith,who is the ball gonna get thrown to?

Cincinatti- Win,Palmer won't be ready for week 3.And if he is,we're gonna blitz him,and he's gonna have his knee on his mind the whole time.

At San Diego- Win,we'll stop LT and make Rivers try and beat us with his arm,which he won't.

Kansas City- Win,where is the defense that's gonna stop us?They don't have one.We'll get a big lead quick and then grind out the clock.

At Atlanta- Win,Mike Vick can't win them all with his feet.If he gets outside the pocket,he's gonna get broken in half by one of our LB's or safteys.And we all know he's not that good in the pocket.

At Oakland- Win,They lost to Cleveland in a game of field goals.Thier defense sucks and thier offense is gonna be even worse with Brooks dumb ass under center.

Denver- Toss up,but I'mma give it to Denver for arguments sake.We killed them in the AFCCG,I am sure they'll want revenge for it.

New Orleans- Win,even with thier two new additions,they won't be that good this year.Thier defense is horrible and thier offense will be better but not Top 5.

At Cleveland- Win,same old Clowns.

At Baltimore- Win,McNair will be in a body casy by this time if he ends up a Raven.

Tampa Bay- Win,they wouldn't have beaten us last year and they won't this year.

Cleveland- Win,same old Clowns.

At Carolina- Win,Steve Smith can be shut down.Thier RB's will be broken and Dellhome can't beat us with his arm.

Baltimore- Win,they won't be able to stop us,we're a powerhouse.

At Cinci- Loss,we'll be resting our starters for the most part on our way to HFA and our SIXTH SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 05:08 PM   #27
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer
Okay,here is how I see our schedule playing out:

Miami- Win,even with Cullpepper playing.If Harrington plays then they will really just get anialated.

At Jax- Win,Ben will be playing not Turnover Tommy.Without Jimmy Smith,who is the ball gonna get thrown to?

Cincinatti- Win,Palmer won't be ready for week 3.And if he is,we're gonna blitz him,and he's gonna have his knee on his mind the whole time.

At San Diego- Win,we'll stop LT and make Rivers try and beat us with his arm,which he won't.

Kansas City- Win,where is the defense that's gonna stop us?They don't have one.We'll get a big lead quick and then grind out the clock.

At Atlanta- Win,Mike Vick can't win them all with his feet.If he gets outside the pocket,he's gonna get broken in half by one of our LB's or safteys.And we all know he's not that good in the pocket.

At Oakland- Win,They lost to Cleveland in a game of field goals.Thier defense sucks and thier offense is gonna be even worse with Brooks dumb ass under center.

Denver- Toss up,but I'mma give it to Denver for arguments sake.We killed them in the AFCCG,I am sure they'll want revenge for it.

New Orleans- Win,even with thier two new additions,they won't be that good this year.Thier defense is horrible and thier offense will be better but not Top 5.

At Cleveland- Win,same old Clowns.

At Baltimore- Win,McNair will be in a body casy by this time if he ends up a Raven.

Tampa Bay- Win,they wouldn't have beaten us last year and they won't this year.

Cleveland- Win,same old Clowns.

At Carolina- Win,Steve Smith can be shut down.Thier RB's will be broken and Dellhome can't beat us with his arm.

Baltimore- Win,they won't be able to stop us,we're a powerhouse.

At Cinci- Loss,we'll be resting our starters for the most part on our way to HFA and our SIXTH SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONSHIP!
You could be (and probably are) a better team than every team on that schedule, but that doesn't mean you're going to (more or less) sweep the schedule. You'll get a few minor lapses here and there that will lead to losses. I don't think the Steelers will get the #1 seed in the playoffs. I'm thinking more 2nd or 3rd seed. There always seems to be a team that jumps out during the regular season and then fades away during the playoffs (colts last year, steelers the year before). I'm thinking that will be either Denver or the Colts again this year.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:07 PM   #28
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

It's funny...I had a conversation at a sports bar recently, and there were fans from several teams, and all of them were very savvy and informed. When we touched on the AFC East, the consensus was that the Dolphins did enough to take the divison next year...but we were all also in agreement that the Boston-type fans are also the last to admit their own obvious vulnerability.

The Pats have an easy schedule, but so do the Dolphins. It'll be the same situation...the winner will be 10-6, maybe 11-5, and lose in the 2nd round...but it'll be the Dolphins this year.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 11:05 PM   #29
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Its fun to look back at old prediction threads.

Someone else obviously thought so too, because this got bumped to page 1 but then the person deleted their post.

Oh well.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:12 PM   #30
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

I was off on my Steelers prediction....But I didn't have the Dolphins over taking the Pats in the AFC East which was popular last off-season....I also said I liked Anthony Smith in post 21 of this thread.....Now he is looking to make an impact this year....I was off on some things but some what right on some things...lol