Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
Deserei90
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17069
Default Troy Polamalu Overrated?

Overrated-underrated: Polamalu can't cover; Pack's' Williams can.

They love the signature hair flying out from his helmet. They love the highlight hits that make the fools on some four-letter network swoon and yell "jacked up."

They love his name. They love his game.

Troy Polamalu is an NFL darling.

He's also the league's most-overrated player.

There, I said it.

He was selected as the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year in 2010 -- an award I couldn't figure out -- and then disappeared in the playoffs, even getting trucked by Ray Rice of the Ravens in the playoffs.

He was a spinning top in the Super Bowl, trying to cover Packers receivers and instead watched them rip off big gains and two touchdowns on his watch.

The Packers exposed the reason I think Polamalu is overrated. He isn't great in coverage and the NFL is now a cover game.

He's a good player. He's just not great.

I've always believed he was a gambler in the back end, and good teams and smart quarterbacks could take advantage of his aggressive style, which the Packers and Aaron Rodgers did. He gets away with it against bad quarterbacks, but good ones can use his aggressive style to their advantage (See Tom Brady).

They say Polamalu had a groin issue in the playoffs, but if you're on the field, you're healthy enough to take the heat. And haven't injuries been an issue for him the past five seasons? He has played 16 games only once in five years.

That has to mean something in the rating game, doesn't it?

He's good. I just don't think he's great. That makes him overrated. I bet even some Steelers fans would concur after the playoffs.

So who's the league's most underrated?

The honor goes to a former undrafted player cut by his first team named Tramon Williams. He was the best cover player for the Super Bowl champs last year, even though most would assume it was Charles Woodson.

Talk to scouts, personnel people and even members of the Packers coaching staff and they'll all say that it's Williams who is now the better cover player. Woodson is still a ball-hawking playmaker, but he isn't the cover corner Williams is at this point in his career.

Yet Williams didn't go to the Pro Bowl.

Williams isn't mentioned on many lists as one of the top 10 corners in the game.

Williams gets slighted more than he gets beat.

That makes him the NFL's most underrated player.

Coverage is key now. That's why Williams is underrated and why Polamalu is overrated.

Now here's an underrated and overrated player for each of the league's 32 teams

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...burgh_Steelers

I can't believe they let people like him write an article.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,779 Times in 2,672 Posts
Default Re: Troy Polamalu Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserei90 View Post
They say Polamalu had a groin issue in the playoffs, but if you're on the field, you're healthy enough to take the heat. And haven't injuries been an issue for him the past five seasons? He has played 16 games only once in five years.
Unlike Prisco it is not my day job to keep up with what is going on with the injury status of major players, but even casual fans know Polamalu was hindered by a partially torn achilles tendon, not a "groin issue," during the playoffs - I guess Prisco also failed to keep up with Troy's plays that saved 3 games immediately prior to reaggravating the achilles injury (INT to save Buffalo game, strip sack of Flacco to turn Ravens game, pick six to turn Bengals game) when he ignores the impact of the injury on Polamalu's performance

I agree Troy's recurrring injuries are a big problem, but overrated is troll bait - Prisco is looking for page hits by making inflammatory comments - unfortunately he got one from me after I saw the link

Prisco is another example of the adage "opinions are like a**holes - everyone has one" - further reason that more and more I just watch the games and ignore the TV shows and Internet columnists blathering about what has happened orwill happen
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

Is it all that outlandish and unrealistic to even consider Troy isn't the superhero we all want to believe he is? Is he great? Yes, in a lot of game-changing moments and when it's on the line (as pointed out by Dan). Is he consistently great for 60 minutes a game? I can't say that he is anymore, for whatever reason(s) - injuries, no help in the secondary, etc.

But it's a team game and with a lack-luster supporting cast, Troy won't get back that four quarter greatness. Once he gets some help in the secondary, he could be Troy again and light some shit up. He's not a superhero and can't do it by himself.
steelax04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479

I think he needs to understand football before he runs his mouth. Polamalu was hurt first off and second it is not his job to be the magnificent every single game.

Hell, I bet this guy was a backup high school football player and never suited up in any type of competitive game.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Would you rather see Troy on an opposing team, say like the Ravens?

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,375 Posts

the guy is welcome to his opinion. It's wrong, but he's welcome to it.

Yeah, Polamalu has had some injury problems, but to say the guy's overrated is ridiculous. With him in the game, the steelers D dominates. Without him, the whole team drops down.

And to say that Troy's not good at covering? The guy is a safety, not a cornerback. And even then, I don't see any problems when they have him covering somebody.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,147 Times in 476 Posts

Troy is so overrated that he makes the #1 defense the #1 defense so incredibly destroying. Without him, our defense is pure vanilla (ex. 2009.)
Old 06-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #8
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,477 Times in 2,327 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

a future hall of famer = overrated? yeah ok pete.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:46 AM   #9
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Peyton Manning through the game losing interception in his last SB. Must mean he can't throw
Old 06-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
Muppet13
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9529

He will never be overrated!!!