Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 06-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #41
thumper
Banned

Member Number: 13415
Default Re: A little weed costs us a Super Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big View Post
He didnt get cut for smoking weed. He was cut because he was caught smoking weed for the 2nd time by the police, going to be suspended for 4 games and Ben was already bringing enough negative energy our way. If he didnt get caught, he'd still be a Steeler. It's hard getting caught smoking weed, you almost have to be stupid.
Well, the guy ain't no rocket scientist.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #42
Jimmy Shaker
Water Boy

Member Number: 18480

While I think Holmes is one of those special talents that you shouldn't let get away, I sure don't miss him signaling first down and dropping the ball after every 6 yard catch. I also think Wallace, Manny, and Brown will go a long ways to helping me forget about Holmes.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:39 PM   #43
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Thread fail.

* Holmes has acknowledged selling drugs on the street corner of his hometown of Belle Glade, Florida as a teenager; he says that his mother's influence and a desire to play professional football made him decide to stop.[13]

* Holmes was arrested in Miami Beach, Florida on May 27, 2006 for disorderly conduct.[14] Charges were subsequently dropped after Holmes paid a fine. Holmes was arrested for a second time on June 18, 2006 for domestic violence and assault in Columbus, Ohio.[15]

* On July 7, 2006, Holmes appeared in Franklin County Court in Columbus, Ohio for both a pre-trial hearing regarding the domestic case and a hearing regarding the traffic ticket. He pled no contest to the traffic ticket and agreed to pay a fine. While Lashae Boone, the mother of Holmes' daughter and the victim in the assault case, requested that the domestic violence and assault charges be dropped, the prosecutor refused. Boone and their daughter accompanied Holmes to court. The charges were later dropped.[16]

* On October 23, 2008, Holmes was arrested in Pittsburgh and cited by officers for possession of marijuana.[17][18] He released an apology after missing a game, stating that he wished to "focus all of [his] efforts on helping our team win on the field and achieve its ultimate goal."[19]

* On March 24, 2010, Anshonae Mills filed a lawsuit against Holmes over a March 7 incident in which she alleges Holmes threw a glass at her in an Orlando nightclub, resulting in a cut above her eye. Initially, Mills did not pursue charges, claiming Holmes and the police intimidated her into it, but the case has been reopened. Subsequently, after a Twitter comment criticizing the nightclub incident, Holmes told the follower to "kill urself." He later Tweeted it was time to "wake n bake," a reference to marijuana.[20] Holmes alleges his account was hacked and it was not him making the comments.[21]

* On April 29, according to a report filed by authorities at Pittsburgh International Airport, a flight attendant told police that Holmes wouldn't turn off his iPod when requested and asked that officers speak to him. Holmes got off the Colgan Air flight and spoke to the officers, who reminded him to comply with regulations, but did not charge the wide receiver with anything. Holmes later talked to Jets head coach Rex Ryan about the incident.

THAT ^^^^ is why the Rooney's released Holmes. He has a LONG crimnal history, and his behavior leading up to his trade clearly showed that he was not improving or leaving all that behind.

Believe me, THUMPER-- you have a sympathizer to your first assertion that people who swill whiskey and alcohol have no room to be bad-mouthing a little bit of herb, but no respectable organization is going to keep an employee around who has a problem with throwing beer glasses at women in clubs, and toes the line of committing a federal offense onboard a commercial airliner.

Holmes was a yokel off the field and needed to go. Whether you or I agree or disagree with current MJ laws, is irrelevant. The law states its position on that clearly, and if you chose to break the law, you also need to choose to be accountable for the consequences. Life is long, all he had to do was stop smoking the chronic for a few years until he retires, but he couldn't do it.

If I could quit for 7 years to be in the military, he has no excuse, considering he made millions of dollars each year to simply do as he was told and play a child's game.

Last edited by Riddle_Of_Steel; 06-17-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Riddle_Of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:31 PM   #44
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Never hurt anyone......

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:04 AM   #45
thumper
Banned

Member Number: 13415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Thread fail.

* Holmes has acknowledged selling drugs on the street corner of his hometown of Belle Glade, Florida as a teenager; he says that his mother's influence and a desire to play professional football made him decide to stop.[13]

* Holmes was arrested in Miami Beach, Florida on May 27, 2006 for disorderly conduct.[14] Charges were subsequently dropped after Holmes paid a fine. Holmes was arrested for a second time on June 18, 2006 for domestic violence and assault in Columbus, Ohio.[15]

* On July 7, 2006, Holmes appeared in Franklin County Court in Columbus, Ohio for both a pre-trial hearing regarding the domestic case and a hearing regarding the traffic ticket. He pled no contest to the traffic ticket and agreed to pay a fine. While Lashae Boone, the mother of Holmes' daughter and the victim in the assault case, requested that the domestic violence and assault charges be dropped, the prosecutor refused. Boone and their daughter accompanied Holmes to court. The charges were later dropped.[16]

* On October 23, 2008, Holmes was arrested in Pittsburgh and cited by officers for possession of marijuana.[17][18] He released an apology after missing a game, stating that he wished to "focus all of [his] efforts on helping our team win on the field and achieve its ultimate goal."[19]

* On March 24, 2010, Anshonae Mills filed a lawsuit against Holmes over a March 7 incident in which she alleges Holmes threw a glass at her in an Orlando nightclub, resulting in a cut above her eye. Initially, Mills did not pursue charges, claiming Holmes and the police intimidated her into it, but the case has been reopened. Subsequently, after a Twitter comment criticizing the nightclub incident, Holmes told the follower to "kill urself." He later Tweeted it was time to "wake n bake," a reference to marijuana.[20] Holmes alleges his account was hacked and it was not him making the comments.[21]

* On April 29, according to a report filed by authorities at Pittsburgh International Airport, a flight attendant told police that Holmes wouldn't turn off his iPod when requested and asked that officers speak to him. Holmes got off the Colgan Air flight and spoke to the officers, who reminded him to comply with regulations, but did not charge the wide receiver with anything. Holmes later talked to Jets head coach Rex Ryan about the incident.

THAT ^^^^ is why the Rooney's released Holmes. He has a LONG crimnal history, and his behavior leading up to his trade clearly showed that he was not improving or leaving all that behind.

Believe me, THUMPER-- you have a sympathizer to your first assertion that people who swill whiskey and alcohol have no room to be bad-mouthing a little bit of herb, but no respectable organization is going to keep an employee around who has a problem with throwing beer glasses at women in clubs, and toes the line of committing a federal offense onboard a commercial airliner.

Holmes was a yokel off the field and needed to go. Whether you or I agree or disagree with current MJ laws, is irrelevant. The law states its position on that clearly, and if you chose to break the law, you also need to choose to be accountable for the consequences. Life is long, all he had to do was stop smoking the chronic for a few years until he retires, but he couldn't do it.

If I could quit for 7 years to be in the military, he has no excuse, considering he made millions of dollars each year to simply do as he was told and play a child's game.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #46
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Cry? I accurately detailed your breaking of forum rules. If one is going
to bother making rules, I am assuming the said rules would be followed.
If not, why bother to make them?

I asserted no such thing. You claimed that since Rooneys were never
arrested for anything it proved their lily white history while I provided
examples of others who have never been arrested for anything yet were
clearly criminal regardless. Big difference. The fact that you can't discern
the difference is a clear indication of low-level, single-plain thinking.

The mods will probably take pity on you because it is clear that you lack
the ability to perceive things accurately. Your above assertion is yet another
straw man argument, where you try to strike at assertions that were never
made. I never indicated that the Steelers had no "right" to dump Holmes,
ever. (Go back and read the whole thread and you should blush in
embarrassment as you will see that assertion was never made.) I merely
indicated that dumping him over some hippie lettuce may have caused us
another ring. Show me where I said they had "no right" to get rid of him. (If
I wait for you to do so, I will die sitting here of old age, as no such assertion
was ever made.)

Please try to react to assertions that were actually made, as opposed to
assuming what they are and reacting to them in an inaccurate manner. Anyone
can strike down a straw man argument. Offering knee-jerk reactions to things
that were never asserted showcases a faulty thought model. You will find
life is far more forgiving if you perceive things accurately and then react
accordingly. Huffing and puffing, gnashing teeth and howling at the moon
just creates lots of unproductive energy leaks. Take a breath and try to
apply this logical approach where one deals with the truth, not just barks
at trucks going down the road, mindlessly. I think you will find a colossal
upgrade in your quality of life.
Blah blah blah,, where to start? How 'bout nowhere, as I don't really give a rats ass about what you have to say about me.

I will say this though, funny how someone so easily offended goes out of his way to be offensive? Basically you call me six kinds of stupid here, but unlike you I wont cry to the moderaters trying to get you punished.

Now as to get the conversation back on track

. The Steelers parted ways with Holmes for a multitude of reasons, his last failed drug test and impending 4 game suspension only being the final straw.

As to the assertion that Holmes would have been the difference maker in SB XLIII. I suppose it's possible. , But I doubt it. First off if Holmes is a Steeler last season Antoine Brown most certainly isn't. And without Antoine's kick return in week two against the Titans ( a game Holmes was ineligible for) the entire complexion of last season could easily have changed. Also Antoine made a pretty special play against the Ravens in the divisional playoff game as well. So who knows, maybe we don't even end up in the Super bowl last year? Hell we were 9-7 and sat out the playoffs in 2009 with him, so who's to say? Also the message that was sent by parting company with Holmes could have been a key factor in getting what was an underperforming team in 09 to rebound last season for all any of us know?

Bottom line is hypotheticals like this are pointless. The Steelers know the business of the Steelers better than any one of us, and they determined it was time to move on without Holmes. And the end result of rebuilding the receiver core with up and comers like Emanuel Sanders and Antoine Brown seems to bear out their judgement in spades. The Steelers didn't hurt themsleves last year imo, and they certainly have put themselves in a better position going foward in regards to their receiver core by not having Holmes' impending free agency departure looming over this offseason.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #47
jwmann2
Water Boy

Member Number: 18374

There was no one that would have been able to stand in Green Bay's way last year. They were winning that Super Bowl regardless of who was playing.
jwmann2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #48
Lord of Lombardi
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15247

A little weed cost us an intelligent post
Lord of Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote