Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-11-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479
Default Ike Risky Free Agent

Jason La Canfora's article on Big Risk Free Agents

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

Ike Taylor, CB: The corner is aging some himself, and this is a young man's position to say the least. There might not be a more astute team in the NFL at self scouting than the Steelers. When they are willing to let a key player go -- especially when he plays a position of need like defensive back is with them right now -- I'd be a little wary about getting full rewards from the kind of contract it will take to land him. His skill set might end up translating as more scheme specific and, given the possible limitations of the marketplace, it's going to take some big money to land him.

I think I agree with him. It is the same thing with Fernando Bryant, he was great for Jacksonville (5 ints/6 FR) was a huge free agent pick up for Detroit in 2004. I remember ESPN and other sports groups saying that this could be a huge boost for Detroit, but four seasons later he was released (only picked off two passes and that was in the fourth year in Detroit)

Some players are just products of a system Colt Brenan, Timmy Chang (NCAA Pass Yards Leader) and so on. Ike could be one of those guys because lets face it, he doesn't have lock down abilities he is good covering when he has help over the top because he can take more risks.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: Ike Risky Free Agent

He is the best corner we have had since Rod Woodson...Don't underestimate his value to this team, considering our history of bums at the CB position.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

The bad part about this whole deal is no ones talking anything till they come to an agreement. Hopefuly its soon. I cant imagine no football this fall.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
thumper
Banned

Member Number: 13415

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
He is the best corner we have had since Rod Woodson...Don't underestimate his value to this team, considering our history of bums at the CB position.
Donnell Woolford?
Chad Scott - his rookie year?
DJ Johnson?
Chris Oldham?
Willie Williams?
Townsend?

Maybe not.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Donnell Woolford?
DJ Johnson?
Chris Oldham?
Willie Williams?
Townsend?

Maybe not.
Point proven,,,all were ok at best...Scott was a bum...Woolford was a bust fa signing...Townsend stuck around because we could not find anybody better even after he was was washed up..
Old 06-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Donnell Woolford?
DJ Johnson?
Chris Oldham?
Willie Williams?
Townsend?

Maybe not.
Those are all reaches imo. I believe Ike has had a better career so far than any of these guys. I also disagree about the risk of signing Ike. He's a solid corner. Big, physical, he can match up well will big, strong, #2 wr's. And he never misses time due to injury. He could start for any team in the league. He's a safe bet. This team has a short window before they need a total overall at many defensive positions. This team could make another run in the next 2 years, but not without IKE.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,088 Times in 3,416 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

I think Townsend was better than ok. I know he didn't put up big numbers or make flashy plays, but then again neither does Ike, and Ike is one hell of a great player and a very important part of this team.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
bubbletownwr88
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17882

oh you also forgot Ricardo Coughley i'm not bother to look up how to spell that he was the worst cb in my era next to gay
bubbletownwr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:58 PM   #9
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Point proven,,,all were ok at best...Scott was a bum...Woolford was a bust fa signing...Townsend stuck around because we could not find anybody better even after he was was washed up..
I think you are waaaay off base. Townsend is better than Ike, even in his "washed up years" Go back to 2007 (I think) when Gay replaced Townsend (huge screw up on Tomlin's behalf) and no corner had an interception until Week 17...and it was Townsend after replacing the terrible Gay.

Scott was solid in his years with us, Dewayne Washington was solid as well. Saying Ike Taylor has been the best since Woodson is a huge stretch...huge. He has the worse hands of any corner I have ever seen. Cope (RIP) counted 14 easy drops in a single season by Taylor and he has still been prone to stupid penalties and big plays.

I think that we are under estimating him, I think we are over-estimating him because we all think that we will suck without him. If he leaves, we will be fine. The Steelers always find replacements. They have never failed us yet...if Ike wants to leave, bye.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #10
thumper
Banned

Member Number: 13415

Quote:
PIT - Two free agent CBs could be options

Source: ESPN.com - James Walker

The Pittsburgh Steelers could show interest in Washington Redskins impending free-agent CB Carlos Rogers or Carolina Panthers impending free-agent CB Richard Marshall if they are not able to re-sign CB Ike Taylor.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Marshall would be a big upgrade from Taylor in terms of ball skills and playmaking ability from the CB position, but he may cost too much for the Steelers, who are usually frugal in free agency.
I'd prefer Marshall. 3 picks. 5-11, around 200 lbs. Has ball skills. Not a big name
so he could come cheaper than Ike, and maybe be better.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote