Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-21-2006, 09:49 AM   #1
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default 06 Steelers MVP ???

Looking way ahead, is this the year for Ben to become the next Steelers MVP? Or should he have been it in 05? Looking back over the past, three different QB`s have won the award, Bradshaw twice. My only take on Ben from last year is that he might have been our MVP, or should have been. We couldn`t beat Balt. without him. Ward had a good season, casey was solid. But we could not win without Ben. Just curious what everyone else thought.

1969 WR Roy Jefferson 1987 LB Mike Merriweather
1970 DT Joe Greene 1988 LB David Little, CB Rod Woodson
1971 LB Andy Russell 1989 WR Louis Lipps
1972 RB Franco Harris 1990 CB Rod Woodson
1973 WR Ron Shanklin 1991 LB Greg Lloyd
1974 S Glen Edwards 1992 RB Barry Foster
1975 CB Mel Blount 1993 CB Rod Woodson
1976 LB Jack Lambert 1994 LB Greg Lloyd
1977 QB Terry Bradshaw 1995 QB Neil O'Donnell
1978 QB Terry Bradshaw 1996 RB Jerome Bettis
1979 WR John Stallworth 1997 RB Jerome Bettis
1980 SS Donnie Shell 1998 LB Levon Kirkland
1981 LB Jack Lambert 1999 LB Levon Kirkland
1982 CB Dwayne Woodruff 2000 RB Jerome Bettis
1983 PK Gary Anderson 2001 QB Kordell Stewart
1984 WR John Stallworth 2002 LB Joey Porter; WR Hines Ward
1985 WR Louis Lipps 2003 WR Hines Ward
1986 LB Bryan Hinkle 2004 LB James Farrior
2005 DT Casey Hampton, WR Hines Ward
Old 05-21-2006, 09:58 AM   #2
Hines86Ward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2256
Default Re: 06 Steelers MVP ???

If Ben doesn't get it this year, then it goes to Polamalu....
Old 05-21-2006, 10:24 AM   #3
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
Looking way ahead, is this the year for Ben to become the next Steelers MVP? Or should he have been it in 05? Looking back over the past, three different QB`s have won the award, Bradshaw twice. My only take on Ben from last year is that he might have been our MVP, or should have been. We couldn`t beat Balt. without him. Ward had a good season, casey was solid. But we could not win without Ben. Just curious what everyone else thought.

1969 WR Roy Jefferson 1987 LB Mike Merriweather
1970 DT Joe Greene 1988 LB David Little, CB Rod Woodson
1971 LB Andy Russell 1989 WR Louis Lipps
1972 RB Franco Harris 1990 CB Rod Woodson
1973 WR Ron Shanklin 1991 LB Greg Lloyd
1974 S Glen Edwards 1992 RB Barry Foster
1975 CB Mel Blount 1993 CB Rod Woodson
1976 LB Jack Lambert 1994 LB Greg Lloyd
1977 QB Terry Bradshaw 1995 QB Neil O'Donnell
1978 QB Terry Bradshaw 1996 RB Jerome Bettis
1979 WR John Stallworth 1997 RB Jerome Bettis
1980 SS Donnie Shell 1998 LB Levon Kirkland
1981 LB Jack Lambert 1999 LB Levon Kirkland
1982 CB Dwayne Woodruff 2000 RB Jerome Bettis
1983 PK Gary Anderson 2001 QB Kordell Stewart
1984 WR John Stallworth 2002 LB Joey Porter; WR Hines Ward
1985 WR Louis Lipps 2003 WR Hines Ward
1986 LB Bryan Hinkle 2004 LB James Farrior
2005 DT Casey Hampton, WR Hines Ward
I agree Ben should have been our MVP last year. No offense to Hines Ward or Casey Hampton and its hard to argue against them. But Ben was our MVP and that was proved in the games he missed and we lost. I also agree Ben will be our 2006 team MVP.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
Stillers#1
Banned

Member Number: 1082

I think it's going to be Ben or Willie, everyone seems to forget that this is still a running team, and in my opinion, the most valuable player on a running team isn't the guy who throws the ball. It's the guy who runs it.
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillers#1
I think it's going to be Ben or Willie, everyone seems to forget that this is still a running team, and in my opinion, the most valuable player on a running team isn't the guy who throws the ball. It's the guy who runs it.
I didn't forget we are a running team trust me. But look at the games missed last year and that truely tells you who is most valuable to the team. Ben proved that with the games he missed. Hell Marvel Smith has a case as well with the games he missed and how poorly the Oline played. But it will never go to an Olineman.

Also on Willie Parker I'm one of his biggest fans. But the fact remains he only scored 5 TD's rushing/recieving last year. Ben had 17 TD tosses and thats pretty good considering the few times Ben does pass the ball. Ben did lead the NFL in yards per attempt and passing td ratio.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
Stillers#1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32
Also on Willie Parker I'm one of his biggest fans. But the fact remains he only scored 5 TD's rushing/recieving last year. Ben had 17 TD tosses and thats pretty good considering the few times Ben does pass the ball. Ben did lead the NFL in yards per attempt and passing td ratio.

Fact of the matter is, you take a RB out of the game anytime you get to the 5 yrd line, and he is only going to end up with 5 TD's a year. The teams that we played when Ben was out, were a whole lot tougher than the teams we played when Willie was out. We didn't exactly handle Green Bay, granted we played at Lambeau, but they were not a solid team at all. But, I guess Ben was missing that game too, so I should just stop talking about that now. We did smoke the Brownies the next week though, with Batch starting. I think with Willie's experience he has a chance at a 1,400 12 TD season with a dozen or so receptions. We can't forget how deadly he is on those screens. Ben will have his time, I think around '08 he will start steadily winning Steeler's MVP's and be considered for league MVP. But this year is all about Willie Parker.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:10 AM   #7
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillers#1
Fact of the matter is, you take a RB out of the game anytime you get to the 5 yrd line, and he is only going to end up with 5 TD's a year. The teams that we played when Ben was out, were a whole lot tougher than the teams we played when Willie was out. We didn't exactly handle Green Bay, granted we played at Lambeau, but they were not a solid team at all. But, I guess Ben was missing that game too, so I should just stop talking about that now. We did smoke the Brownies the next week though, with Batch starting. I think with Willie's experience he has a chance at a 1,400 12 TD season with a dozen or so receptions. We can't forget how deadly he is on those screens. Ben will have his time, I think around '08 he will start steadily winning Steeler's MVP's and be considered for league MVP. But this year is all about Willie Parker.
I know Willie was taking out of game when we reached the redzone. But he still only scored 5 times with touching the ball over 250 times including his catches. I'm not knocking Willie Parker. I love the kid and I think he has a bright future. But noway he scores 12 TD's. The 1400 yards I agree with but I see around 6 or 7 TD's.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:38 AM   #8
Stillers#1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32
I know Willie was taking out of game when we reached the redzone. But he still only scored 5 times with touching the ball over 250 times including his catches. I'm not knocking Willie Parker. I love the kid and I think he has a bright future. But noway he scores 12 TD's. The 1400 yards I agree with but I see around 6 or 7 TD's.
I don't want to sound like I am tooting the guys horn for him, but you also have to look at how the season was closed out. Yes Ben was on fire in the AFC playoffs, no doubt about that. But Willie was steady throughout the postseason. He was 2nd in rushsing behind only league MVP Shaun Alexander, and that was only by 11 yards or so, also the Bus ate up something like 180 yards as well. I like Ben, really do, but he was no where to be seen in XL. Willie Parker is, matter of fact, a game breaker. Touchdowns are a big deal, but how many of Ben's TD passes were set up by Willie run's. Heath Miller alone had 6 TD catches, and the majority of those came from 1-10 yards out. And Hines had a few goal line TD catches also. You take the Bus away (and I'm not saying Willie would score all of the Bus's touchdowns, so we will give Willie 6 of Bettis' 9) and Willie has a Pro Bowl Caliber year with at least 10 TD's.

If you look at other RB's first years as started Willie is very comparable. Hell, Jerome only had 7 TD's in his first year as a starter, with only 200 more yards than Willie. I know I may have gone waaaaaay offtrack here, but Ben is only going to be a great game management QB. If he ever turns into a Tom Brady, God help the NFL. But as long as we have Willie Parker, this is his team, and he is going to be the MVP next year.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:46 AM   #9
steelcity984
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2312

My friend and I started a Steelers franchise on Madden, and simulated 15 seasons. Out of those 15 seasons, Roethlisberger won MVP 13 times. YOU figure it out. Also, Jerome Bettis ran for exactly 2000 yards in the first year of the franchise.
steelcity984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 11:49 AM   #10
Stillers#1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcity984
My friend and I started a Steelers franchise on Madden, and simulated 15 seasons. Out of those 15 seasons, Roethlisberger won MVP 13 times. YOU figure it out. Also, Jerome Bettis ran for exactly 2000 yards in the first year of the franchise.
*smacks forehead*

I have been bested by Madden..................again. Guess I have no response to that, I mean, you ran a computer game "simulation", so it obviously will be right.

There ya go guys, Ben Rothlisberger greatest QB of all time.

*smacks forehead*