Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 07-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,521 Times in 3,752 Posts
Default James Harrison Issues apology for everything

Steelers linebacker James Harrison issued an apology tonight on his Facebook page for comments that he made in an upcoming issue of Men's Journal magazine in which he uses offensive words and phrases to verbally attack NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and also criticizes teammates Ben Roethlisberger and Rashard Mendenhall for their performances in Super Bowl XLV.

Here is the entire text of Harrison's statement:

"I'll start by offering my apologies for some of the words that I said during the four days in May that Men's Journal was invited to my house to discuss what the NFL has recently been portraying as their attempts at 'player safety' rules and regulations, and to cover my everyday workout routine.

"I did make comments about my teammates when I was talking about the emotional Super Bowl loss, but the handful of words that were used and heavily publicized yesterday were pulled out of a long conversation and the context was lost. Obviously, I would never say that it was all Ben's or Rashard's fault that we lost the Super Bowl. That would be ridiculous. Both Ben and Rashard are great players and great teammates. Clearly the entire team bears responsibility for the loss, me included. It was a team effort and a team loss. My teammates know me well, and hopefully understand the things I said were not meant to accuse them of the loss. We all have discussed several things that went wrong in the Super Bowl since that day. What I do apologize for and take full responsibility for is for speaking in such a candid manner to someone outside the team.

"I also need to make clear that the comment about Roger Goodell was not intended to be derogatory against gay people in any way. It was careless use of a slang word and I apologize to all who were offended by the remark. I am not a homophobic bigot, and I would never advocate intolerance of gay people.

"As far as the photo that was shown on air yesterday, collecting guns is a hobby of mine, and I advocate the responsible use of firearms. I believe in the right to bear arms. I like to go to the shooting range. I like to hunt. I like to fish. I could just as easily have posed with my fishing poles but it obviously wouldn't be an interesting picture for the magazine. I am not promoting gun violence by posing for that photo. There are also other photos in the magazine story that were not shown on air yesterday - including me with my sons, with my mom and as a kid.

"Unfortunately, the above items and other comments have detracted from the original purpose of the story - a position I have been advocating for some time now. If player safety is the NFL's main concern, as they say it is, they are not going about it in an effective manner. There's nothing about extending the season or issuing exorbitant fines on defensive players that makes any shift toward the prevention of injury to players.

"I believe that the league may have been feeling increasing pressure about injuries and concussions last year, and that they panicked and put rules in place that weren't fully thought out. I'm not advocating more flags and fines, I'm just saying that the current rules are not completely fair, and I don't believe in the way that the league is handling their position as overseer of the NFL and the well-being of its players.

"As far as the character and reputation hits I may suffer as a result of my comments in the article, I'll take those hits and more if it brings increased attention to the re-examination and installation of rules and regulations that would create a REAL impact on player safety."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11195/1160525-66-0.stm

Who knew James was not only an All Pro linebacker but a great writer and staunch supporter of the Second Amendment?

Nice touch with the denial of homophobia - of course calling Goodell a fa**ot or c***sucker was not intended to be derogatory against gays in any way.

FWIW there is a tape (surprise!) of the interview in which Harrison allegedly trashed Roethlisberger on other issues (my guess would be Milledgeville and Nevada)

“I filled up three notebooks, I don’t know how many hours of digital tape, and I cut so much stuff from this piece,” [Paul Solotaroff, who wrote the Men’s Journal article in question], said. “There is just acres of stuff James said that’s compelling and amusing and riveting. And that wasn’t the only thing he said about Ben.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-quarterbacks/
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516
Default Re: James Harrison Issues apology for everything

James Harrison wrote that apology?! Kent State James Harrison, the same school I attended? Hmmm.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinfrench76 View Post
James Harrison wrote that apology?! Kent State James Harrison, the same school I attended? Hmmm.
I think he may have had a little help on that one.
steelerchad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,386 Times in 1,053 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
I think he may have had a little help on that one.

a little help?
fer522 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

sounds like James is gettin soft.........He should of wrote...Dear Mr. Goodell u can just go and yourself.......See, thats wasnt so hard was it.......

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479

Why? Some of the things he said was messed up....but, does anyone disagree that Goodell is a crook? or does anyone disagree that Mendy needs to learn how to stop fumbling? or that Ben needs to STOP throwing picks in the big game? (he has thrown 6 in 3 SB)

I agreed with what he said about those things. Ben and the offense go through weeks with shitty offense and can't move the ball and the defense bails them out and keeps them in games. Look at two seasons ago when we lost 5 in a row including games to KC and Oakland. Offense was terrible and the D was on the field way too damn long and in the 4th were so tired they couldn't keep points off the board.

People need to stop saying stuff and then apologizing for it. "If you said it once, you meant it once"
Old 07-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BaileyFan View Post
Why? Some of the things he said was messed up....but, does anyone disagree that Goodell is a crook? or does anyone disagree that Mendy needs to learn how to stop fumbling? or that Ben needs to STOP throwing picks in the big game? (he has thrown 6 in 3 SB)

I agreed with what he said about those things. Ben and the offense go through weeks with shitty offense and can't move the ball and the defense bails them out and keeps them in games. Look at two seasons ago when we lost 5 in a row including games to KC and Oakland. Offense was terrible and the D was on the field way too damn long and in the 4th were so tired they couldn't keep points off the board.

People need to stop saying stuff and then apologizing for it. "If you said it once, you meant it once"
Agreed
Old 07-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BaileyFan View Post
I do not believe Harrison is being castigated for calling Goodell a crook - it is the "gay slur" (fa**ot and or c**ksucker?) that got him in trouble regarding Goodell - and as far as the response may be Harrison has a right to "free speech": 1) that only applies to restrictions on speech by the government, not a private employer; and 2) if you say something as ignorant as the phrase Harrison used to describe Goodell you deserve to be called out on it. Harrison's comment was indefensible.

As for the criticisms of Roethlisberger and Mendenhall, keep that crap inside the locker room or at least spread the blame around to not just the offense but some members of a pass defense that played like crap against Green Bay

James may want to remember this line from the Godfather

Don Corleone: Santino, come here. What's the matter with you? ,,, Never tell anyone outside the Family what you are thinking again. Go on.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068646/quotes
Old 07-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

I do not believe Harrison is being castigated for calling Goodell a crook - it is the "gay slur" (fa**ot and or c**ksucker?) that got him in trouble regarding Goodell - and as far as the response may be Harrison has a right to "free speech": 1) that only applies to restrictions on speech by the government, not a private employer; and 2) if you say something as ignorant as the phrase Harrison used to describe Goodell you deserve to be called out on it. Harrison's comment was indefensible.

His comment was only indefensible because our society has gone head over heels for political correctness. It was obvious he meant no ill will towards gay people, there are just too many lobbyists out there waiting for their chance to go all NAACP on somebody and get their 15 minuts in the spotlight.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post

His comment was only indefensible because our society has gone head over heels for political correctness. It was obvious he meant no ill will towards gay people, there are just too many lobbyists out there waiting for their chance to go all NAACP on somebody and get their 15 minuts in the spotlight.
Then why didn't he call Goodell a ni**er? - it would have been just as vulgar and no less accurate.

Harrison used what he regarded to the most insulting term he believed he could use to describe another man - if that does not reflect ill will towards gays I do not know what does