Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 05-07-2006, 01:00 AM   #1
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

Location: From Pittsburgh, currently going to school in Rochester
Member Number: 811
Default World Cup Thread

The FIFA World Cup is due to start in just about a month so I thought it was about time to start a thread. The USA actually has a chance to do very very well this time and build on their last World Cup performance, the best since the 30's I believe. We are currently ranked 5th in the world. Unfortunatley the Czech Republic is also in our group. They are ranked 2nd in the world. The other two teams we have in our group are Italy and Ghana, ranked 12th and 50th respectively. We need to play well in our group to try to avoid Brazil after the group stage. If we can manage to get that far. GO USA!!
SteelerDan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:04 PM   #2
bigben2ward4six
Water Boy

Member Number: 1564
Default Re: World Cup Thread

The US team is very talented, but they got a tough group draw. They will need to play well to advance, and hopefully avoid Brazil in the next round. Here's my opinions on the players for those of you who don't follow the team.

Albright, Chris D-Very talented, but unfortunatlly replacement of For Frankie Hejduk after he tore his ACL. A solid defender but not much of an attacker as Hejduk, and doesn't play with as much energy. Plays in MLS

Beasley, DaMarcus M Solid verteran for the US. Should play a key role with leadership, speed, and play making. Plays in Holland

Bocanegra, Carlos D Strong hard working defenseman. Plays in England

Cherundolo, Steve D I'm not really a fan, but he has played strong in the games leading up to the team selection. Plays in Germany.

Ching, Brian F The worst selection for the team. I think this pick should have been Taylor Twellman. Hopefully he will be a surprise. Plays in MLS

Conrad, Jimmy D I don't really know too much about him, but he has played well in MLS.

Convey, Bobby M I have been a fan of his since he played for D.C. United a strong midfielder. Plays in England

Dempsey, Clint M Has great talent a play maker and can score goals, plays with high energy. (MLS)

Donovan, Landon M If he struggles the U.S. will struggle. He is their playmaker and can score goals. He is a leader for the team look for him to get alot of touches and work hard all over the field. MLS

12 Gibbs, Cory D 6?0 I don't know too much about him, other than what I've seen in the previous games, but looks solid (Holland)

19 Hahnemann, Marcus GK U.S. has a strong set of goalkeepers. I think that he will be back up but is ready to step in if needed. (England)
1 Howard, Tim GK Changed roster number so now teams can take 3 goalkeepers, probably just to get him experience and get his confidence back, but he is an amazing goalkeeper (England)

9 Johnson, Eddie F He plays with a spark and is creative on the ball. talented goal scorer(MLS)

18 Keller, Kasey GK The man in net. He has been the brick wall behind the US team for a long time. He should be very strong in net as he was in qualifications(Germany)

7 Lewis, Eddie D Don't really know much about him(England)

4 Mastroeni, Pablo M I like his style of play, strong and creative(MLS)
20 McBride, Brian F Big target up front look for him to win head balls and be dangerous on corners and free kicks, also very dangerous goalscoreer(England)

5 O'Brien, John M I liked his play in the last world cup(MLS)

14 Olsen, Ben M From Middletown, Pa. A good solid hardworking midfielder. Scrappy and physical should strengthen the defensive midfield. (MLS)

22 Onyewu, Oguchi D One of the stronger defenders on the team (Belgium)

23 Pope, Eddie D Strong veteran defender should provide consistency in the back(MLS)

10 Reyna, Claudio M Captain and heart and soul of the team. should provide good leadership and playmaking (England)

16 Wolff, Josh F Talented with the ball at his feet, has a tendency to miss good scoring opportunities. (MLS)
bigben2ward4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

How they dont take Twellman I dont know, he was the leader in points per game in the MLS last year for cryin out loud and doesnt even deserve a spot on the team?? Even a spot on the bench? Especially with playing experience in the German league with Munich. Also if Freddy Adu is the future of US soccer shouldnt he at least get a spot on the bench?? I know he tends to make some bonehead plays but I think they should of at least made him a bench warmer. That way he can get some World Cup experience and then for the next world cup we would have him comming into his prime with Donovan who would be still in his prime. Those are the only gripes I have. If Donovan doesnt show up we lose. We must take or at least draw the match with the Czech Republic if we want to move on.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #4
bigben2ward4six
Water Boy

Twellman is an amazing player and goalscorer...He scored 6 minutes into the game against the los angeles galaxy and posed next to a sign that said WHY NOT TWELLMAN....Exactly he deserves to go and should not have been left off the team.

As for Freddy, being a fan of D.C. United he is not up to the caliber of the U.S. national team even as a substitute...he in my opinion needs alot more time to grow to become the face of us soccer
Old 05-07-2006, 03:53 PM   #5
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

I watch the MLS when its on, I have no real rooting interest since there is no Pittsburgh team. The one club I do root for is FC Nurnberg. They are hosting the World Cup. I have a friend from just outside the city. Last time he was over here I traded him a Roethlisberger jersey for a Dominik Reinhardt FC Nurnberg Jersey. He used to go to my friend's highschool and is a potential future star defender, right now he starts for Nurnberg and has played some with the national team, he is only 21. That Revolution/Galaxy game was not near as close as I thought it would be. Hercules needs read the riot act after that Rolston goal.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #6
Ohio Steeler
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2142

not a soccer fan that was one sport I never got into however I wish the US the best of luck and hope they bring home a gold or what ever it is they give 1st place in this thing
Old 05-07-2006, 05:59 PM   #7
bigben2ward4six
Water Boy

haha yea i know he left ralston all alone
Old 05-07-2006, 09:12 PM   #8
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992

the Bengals suck.
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:31 PM   #9
bigben2ward4six
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 to be 4
the Bengals suck.

No matter what happens in the world cup....that is one thing we can be sure of
Old 05-07-2006, 11:06 PM   #10
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

The World Cup video game is amazing, I first started with Egypt and didnt Qualify then I started over with Argentina and am in the Quarter Finals. The graphics and openings are amazing, it really conveys the sheer size and the importance and pride of the World Cup. The gameplay is far superior to the FIFA 04 (the other soccer game I have) alot more realistic with ball moves, defense, offsides, corners, and pretty much everything. I highly recommend it.