Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 07-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,967 Times in 3,516 Posts
Default Mendenhall plans to sue endorser for dropping him

Two months after Champion athletic gear dropped Rashard Mendenhall as an endorser in the wake of his comments about Osama Bin Laden’s death, the Steelers running back has decided to sue the company.

Darren Rovell of CNBC reports Mendenhall plans to sue HanesBrand, the parent company for Champion.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-sue-champion/

Yeah - that will work out well

Mendenhall needs to remember the first rule of holes- when you are in one, quit digging

You would think the agents for players such as Mendenall and Harrison would provide some counseling for what they are getting paid, but I guess not
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
BigRick
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16392
Default Re: Mendenhall plans to sue endorser for dropping him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Two months after Champion athletic gear dropped Rashard Mendenhall as an endorser in the wake of his comments about Osama Bin Laden’s death, the Steelers running back has decided to sue the company.

Darren Rovell of CNBC reports Mendenhall plans to sue HanesBrand, the parent company for Champion.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-sue-champion/

Yeah - that will work out well

Mendenhall needs to remember the first rule of holes- when you are in one, quit digging

You would think the agents for players such as Mendenall and Harrison would provide some counseling for what they are getting paid, but I guess not
Some people never know when to let dead dogs lie. Quess his college education didn't do him any good.
BigRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

From Mendenhal's comments, it seems like he's saying that he doesn't think 9/11 was a regular terrorist attack, rather an inside job or done with inside help. So if he doesn't think Bin Laden was actually involved then I could see why he wouldn't cheer his death. I'm not saying I'm a 9/11 "truther" but there is overwhelming evidence that it was not a regular terrorist attack. So why should voicing your alternative opinion cost you a sponsorship?
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
From Mendenhal's comments, it seems like he's saying that he doesn't think 9/11 was a regular terrorist attack, rather an inside job or done with inside help. So if he doesn't think Bin Laden was actually involved then I could see why he wouldn't cheer his death. I'm not saying I'm a 9/11 "truther" but there is overwhelming evidence that it was not a regular terrorist attack. So why should voicing your alternative opinion cost you a sponsorship?
please show me the evidence because im extremly eager to hear this. as for the sponsor, they can chose who they want to represent there company and who they do not want
Old 07-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Why should cheating on your wife cost you your sponsorships, since that presumably is a matter between the husband and wife - ask Tiger Woods how that has worked out with regard to the much more significant sponsorship deals he lost after his infidelities were disclosed

Athletes lose sponsorships for the same reason they obtain them - because companies want to be associated with an image.

Mendenhall has a right to say what he wants and businesses have a right to not want to be associated. let alone pay $$, with someone who makes statements that are unpopular.

As far as the "overwhelming" evidence this was not a terrorist attack, public opinion disagrees - whether you think it is right, Hanes has to deal with the opinion of the public to which it is selling its products

It's nothing personal - it's strictly business
Old 07-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
You said it yourself. His alternative opinion. A consumer products company pays an endorser to represent their brand to appeal to the most people possible. An alternative opinion on a controversial topic impacts negatively on their targeted customer base. It's simple math. Why pay someone to alienate your customers?

BTW. He has no chance of winning this lawsuit. Even more, I'm sure the company was smart enough to have language in the contract that nullifies it for pretty much anything they deem as negative.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:03 AM   #7
Wallace108

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Athletes lose sponsorships for the same reason they obtain them - because companies want to be associated with an image.
You're exactly right. As Andre Aggassi used to say ... image is everything.
There's a reason why guys like Tiger (as you stated), Ben, Kobe Bryant, and Mendy lost endorsement deals ... companies didn't want their name associated with an athlete's tarnished image.

I don't know anything about the lawsuit. If he's suing for money that's owed to him, that's one thing. But if he's suing simply because they dropped him, yeah, good luck with that, Mendy.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:22 AM   #8
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
please show me the evidence because im extremly eager to hear this. as for the sponsor, they can chose who they want to represent there company and who they do not want
Watch the documentary Loose Change in YouTube
Old 07-19-2011, 07:17 AM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
I'm sure the company was smart enough to have language in the contract that nullifies it for pretty much anything they deem as negative.
Yep

The contract did allow for circumstances under which the it could be dropped, including if Mendenhall…

“commits or is arrested for any crime or becomes involved in any situation or occurrence tending to bring Mendenhall into public disrepute, contempt, scandal or ridicule, or tending to shock, insult or offend the majority of the consuming public.”

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/rashar...sues-champion/

Regardless of their alleged merit, IMO Mendenhall's 9-11 coments pretty clearly offended the majority of the consuming public unless Hanes plans to feature Mendenhall in a marketing campaign in Afghanistan or Pakistan

Whomever Mendenall hired to file this lawsuit must have obtained his law degree in exchange for mailing in cereal box tops
Old 07-19-2011, 07:36 AM   #10
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Good God - not this again!! I assume you've been watching Youtube videos with Thumper?
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote