Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124
Default Trading Harrision?

I know everybody will call me crazy, but I think it might be worth consideration, especially for the long term.

Harrison is currently 33 years of age and the Steelers are 10 million over the cap. He'll make $5 million this year, $6 million in 2013, and $7 million in 2014. That's a lot of money for a team trying to resign/extend a bevy of young, extremely talented players this year and the next few. The Steelers need to find a way to sign Ike Tayler this season. Polamalu's contract needs extended in the near future, if they decide to keep him, and I think they do. Timmons contract needs extended this, season in my opinion, before he goes on an absolute tear, driving up his contract - Wallace is in the same boat. Wallace and Timmons are pivitol players, being they are extremely talanted young players on an otherwise team of elders.

I admit our defense would get somewhat worse in the short term, but I don't think enough to outway the compensation the Steelers would get in return. A team on the brink, only missing a few playmakers on defense, I would imagine would willingly give up a decent amount to pick up probably one of the best linebackers in the game. Perhaps a team like the Houston, wanting to make a run for the SB while they still have a chance, would trade a 1st round pick or more. Look what the Bears gave up for Jay Cutler.

As previously mentioned, our team is old and we're desperately needing to get younger - especially on defense. In my opinion, trading Harrison, given the proper compensation, would be a rational decision in the long term. I believe any team who can trade a 33 year old player for a first round pick should pounce in it - especially considering how well the Steelers draft. (When was the last time the Steelers missed a first round pick?) Essentially, the Steelers would trade a 33 year old player for a 22 year old player of the same caliber. Here's a list of the Steelers last 10 first round picks:

2001: Plaxico Burress
2002: Casey Hampton
2003: Kendall Simmons
2004: Troy Polamalu
2005: Ben Roethlisberger
2006: Heath Miller
2007: Santonio Holmes
2008: Lawrence Timmons
2009: Rashard Mendenhall
2010: Evander Hood

This list includes a bunch of great players, numerous pro-bowls, many should-have-been pro-bowls, 1 rookie of the year, 1 should-have-been rookie of the year, a defensive player of the year, the most underrated tight-end in football, and, most importantly, not one bust (Some of you might call Simmons a bust, but I don't. Most of his shortcomings were caused by injuries - and these things happen and often can hardly be preducted)

I think it's pretty safe to say the Steelers would utilize the first round pick to the fullest, making the trade well worth it.

We could get by without Harrison and still be good.

During this season or next, Jason Worilds will be ready to play. Assuming Worilds lives up to the Steelers expectations, he wouldn't be much of a down-grade. Unfortunately, I don't have enough information on the subject to determine whether Worilds will be all he's cracked up to be - but the Steelers do. For now, we'll just make the assumption.

If Worilds won't be ready next year and will have to wait in the wings one more season there is another option: move Timmons to OLB and Foote to ILB for a year. Again, this would be a down grade in the short term, no doubt.

Albeit, I'm concerned about this team's future. Too many 30-somethings and not enough 20-somethings to sustain a winning team past the next couple of seasons. I would willingly part ways with a dominant defender to ensure continued dominance in the next few years. I don't think we have enough draft picks to address every need we have in the next few years.

We probably need a tacke, if not 2. Colon won't be there after next season, I doubt they plan on resigning Starcks, and Flozel is old. We have one young player in Gilbert to fill in, but it's not apparent who will even be any good - Urbick anyone?

We need Guards. Do we even have a RG? We all know our LG is a bum.

We need a NT.

We need a CB.

Polamalu is getting old, along with Clark (who is overrated, anyway). Do the Steelers plan on keeping Polamalu in a Steelers uniform for an extended period of time considering his injuriy history? Clark and Polamalu are both in the 30s.

Maybe it's just crazy, but it might just be crazy enough to work. Everybody thought the Steelers were crazy when they got rid of Porter, so......
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
thumper
Banned

Member Number: 13415
Default Re: Trading Harrision?

Pipe dream. No one would trade for him. His back is still jacked. Agent
even admitted he will not be 100% this year, and probably ever again. Who
is going to trade for that?
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Pipe dream. No one would trade for him. His back is still jacked. Agent
even admitted he will not be 100% this year, and probably ever again. Who
is going to trade for that?
Any smart 3-4 team would be jumping at a chance to get Harrison. He's the best all-around outside linebacker in the league. No other player, whether it be Ware or Matthews, has as much impact at his position. He's relentless in every aspect whether it be stopping the run or pass rushing.

Moving Timmons back to OLB would be a travesty. Hes was probably a top 3 ILB last year.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
tucker6
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12833

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Any smart 3-4 team would be jumping at a chance to get Harrison. He's the best all-around outside linebacker in the league. No other player, whether it be Ware or Matthews, has as much impact at his position. He's relentless in every aspect whether it be stopping the run or pass rushing.

Moving Timmons back to OLB would be a travesty. Hes was probably a top 3 ILB last year.
You might get a 4th round pick for him considering his salary and age/health. I'd trade him if it was me. His salary is high for the expected return in value on the field. He has maybe 1-2 good years left MAX. It may be that he has no good years left. I've heard that teams have developed models based on players performance/age and that show when to deal a player reaching into their 30's. I guess anything can be made into an equation. Green Bay did that with Favre I've read, and judged the risk less with Rodgers. Good call in the end because if Aaron sits another year behind Brett, he likely doesn't have the expereince to win the SB last year.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
steelcity1974
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9669

You're crazy.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
tucker6
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12833

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcity1974 View Post
You're crazy.
read it and weep.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=74129
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
fart
Water Boy

Member Number: 18364

Harrison is better with the Steelers than any other team. I don't know why you would consider trading him. For my money, he was the best defender on the team - even over Polamalu and even at 80%
fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Quote:
Originally Posted by fart View Post
Harrison is better with the Steelers than any other team. I don't know why you would consider trading him. For my money, he was the best defender on the team - even over Polamalu and even at 80%
Perhaps he is the best defender - but he's 33 and had had like 3 back surgeries. He probably has at most 3 good years left, 1 or 2 dominant years if he hasn't seen his last dominant season. It would be absolutely stupid for the Steelers to reject a trade if a team were to offer a first round pick.

As other posters have said, teams probably wouldn't offer such a high draft pick - and I agree, most teams wouldn't. But you only need one team. 30 NFL teams would not have offered 2 first rounders for Jay Cutler, but still the Broncos got what they wanted. A lot of GMs out there aren't too bright, so maybe one of those teams would offer a decent trade.

If the price is right, the Steelers I would hope the Steelers would trade him. I'm not saying I would trade him for a fourth round pick or anything, but definitely a first rounder, maybe even a second. Maybe.

Still, only a fool would reject a trade before hearing the offer.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,505 Times in 3,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppbeast View Post
Perhaps he is the best defender - but he's 33 and had had like 3 back surgeries. He probably has at most 3 good years left, 1 or 2 dominant years if he hasn't seen his last dominant season. It would be absolutely stupid for the Steelers to reject a trade if a team were to offer a first round pick.

As other posters have said, teams probably wouldn't offer such a high draft pick - and I agree, most teams wouldn't. But you only need one team who would. 30 NFL teams would not have offered 2 first rounders for Jay Cutler, but still the Broncos got what they wanted. A lot of GMs out there aren't too bright, so maybe one of those teams would offer a decent trade.

If the price is right, the Steelers would trade him - and rightfully so. I'm not saying I would trade him for a fourth round pick or anything, but definitely a first rounder, maybe even a second. Maybe.

Still, only a fool would reject a trade before hearing the offer.
With all the chaos that is going to go on in the next several weeks, trading Harrison without having worked Timmons or Worlds at OLB during the offseason is a risky move for the Steelers and tough to address for teams with their own signings and cap issues to handle.

And why would you trade for Harrison now and have to take on his contract if you think it is likely he will be released after this year and you can then sign him with not giving up anything in return?

Timmons and Woodley need to be signed - guess which contract helps pay those bills if the other LB pulling down huge $$ is released after 2011?
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:04 AM   #10
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

If the return were good enough i would trade him in a minute...We loaded with 33 plus year olds...Harrison may be the best of them all but OLB is far and away the easiest position to fill.