Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 07-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
Farrior_roirraW
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12978
Default Steelers will release veteran G Starks

The Pittsburgh Steelers are set to release veteran guard Max Starks, according to league sources.

Starks, who has spent his seven-year career in Pittsburgh where he started 68 games, played in just seven games last season after being put on injured reserve with a neck injury
http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/07/27/stee...eran-g-starks/

What does everybody think about this? I got to say it's kind of a surprise (if true)...

(EDIT: And yes it should say T but I copy pasta the title from La Confora.)

"I am proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it. I was born to be a Steeler." - Farrior
Farrior_roirraW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,149 Times in 863 Posts
Default Re: Steelers will release veteran G Starks

Starks is a left tackle.

Anyway, I might as well put this here:

Max Starks to be released. Wasn't expecting Starks to be the one. Neck injuries aren't one to F with. Looks like they have a TON of faith in the big guy, rookie Marcus Gilbert. Adams will probably be released and Willie Colon will be signed much cheaper to take over his old position at right tackle.

That OR Flozell will go back to his old position he had with Dallas and take over left tackle for Starks while Gilbert and Colon battle it out on the right side of the line.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
Farrior_roirraW
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12978

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
Starks is a left tackle.

Anyway, I might as well put this here:

Max Starks to be released. Wasn't expecting Starks to be the one. Neck injuries aren't one to F with. Looks like they have a TON of faith in the big guy, rookie Marcus Gilbert. Adams will probably be released and Willie Colon will be signed much cheaper to take over his old position at right tackle.

That OR Flozell will go back to his old position he had with Dallas and take over left tackle for Starks while Gilbert and Colon battle it out on the right side of the line.
Haha, yeah I know, but I did not realize it said guard rather than tackle or else I would have changed it.

But, anyways, it should be interesting now what they do with Adams/Gilbert/Colon (it looks as if he is without a doubt back, especially now). I don't see Gilbert starting but anything to fix the line, I guess.

"I am proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it. I was born to be a Steeler." - Farrior
Farrior_roirraW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:53 PM   #4
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrior_roirraW View Post
Haha, yeah I know, but I did not realize it said guard rather than tackle or else I would have changed it.

But, anyways, it should be interesting now what they do with Adams/Gilbert/Colon (it looks as if he is without a doubt back, especially now). I don't see Gilbert starting but anything to fix the line, I guess.
Seems like Flozell is the type to where he would restructure. He has his money and he stated last year that he's in it for a ring. This is more than likely his last season so I'm sure he will do anything to help the team.

Another thing is that the Steelers seem to be reaching out to Colon after all this time. Something is probably being worked out to keep both of them while Gilbert will be groomed. Either Flozel restructures, or he is gone, which free's up a TONNNN of cap space.

I believe we'll sign Colon either way.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
SteelCurtain5643
Team Captain

Member Number: 12838

I just read that Starks is pushing 400 lbs after sitting around recovering from his neck injury, thats insane. They said the steelers could bring him back later if he gets himself in shape
SteelCurtain5643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:03 AM   #6
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCurtain5643 View Post
I just read that Starks is pushing 400 lbs after sitting around recovering from his neck injury, thats insane. They said the steelers could bring him back later if he gets himself in shape
Old 07-28-2011, 02:37 AM   #7
JCPsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 15542

I might get ripped but I kind of like J. Scott at LT. I thought he played well there in the playoffs.
JCPsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:26 AM   #8
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

ugh.. i understand the Steelers probably didn't have much of a choice with his weight issues, but the tackle position is now really scary for us. Willie Colon is coming off a serious knee injury. Flozell Adams is near retirement and had his own injury issues last year. Starks would have been coming off his own serious injury, but that would have been one more line of depth. behind Colon and Adams, now all we have is Scott, who was terrible, and a rookie who has never even practiced yet with the Steelers. yikes!
jjpro11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:50 AM   #9
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Actually we don't even have Scott who is a Free Agent.

I saw video of Starks at the Super Bowl and he looked HUGE! The very first thing I thought was this guy better get in shape or he is gone.

Flozell was injured a lot last year but never missed a game.

Marcus Gilbert was drafted to be a Left Tackle. Do the Steelers believe like his once Florida teammate Pouncey that he can start right away?

It appears if Colon accepts a multi year contract now being offered. He will be back to play right tackle with Flozell released and Gilbert and a re-signed Jonathan Scott competing for the Left Tackle position.

Kemo and Pouncey in the middle will be joined by any number of guards on the roster right now like Ramon Foster or Doug Legursky who handled NT BJ Rajii very well in the superbowl.

Another scenario is to re-sign Starks for a fraction of what he is due.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:51 AM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,543 Times in 3,762 Posts

Starks leaving creates the same problem at tackle that would have been created at CB if Taylor had not been resigned - someone will play the positon but are thye any good?

This also may be salary cap driven

This gives Colon more leverage on negotiating a deal and for Flozell Adams to refuse to take a big haircut on his contract.

A mediocre OL gets even worse - at some point this blows up on the Steelers
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote