Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-04-2006, 10:28 PM   #1
Stillers#1
Banned

Member Number: 1082
Default A little news with M. Bush

Louisville's Bush has leg surgery

By WILL GRAVES, Associated Press Writer
September 4, 2006

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- Heisman Trophy hopeful Michael Bush of No. 13 Louisville underwent surgery Monday for a broken leg, a season-ending injury that could finish the running back's outstanding college career.

Bush broke his right leg in two places during the third quarter of a 59-28 win over Kentucky on Sunday. The operation on his tibia was successful and he was to remain in the hospital overnight, university spokesman Rocco Gasparro said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bush, a senior, has the option of being redshirted, but coach Bobby Petrino said it would be up to Bush and his family to decide whether to return next fall.

Bush chose to come back for his senior season rather than head to the NFL because he wanted to give Louisville something it's never had -- a Bowl Championship Series berth.

Quarterback Brian Brohm called Bush "irreplaceable," but now the Cardinals must try to overcome the loss if they are to stay in the national picture.

After shredding the Wildcats for 124 yards and three touchdowns in the first half, including a 48-yard touchdown run on his first carry of the season, Bush started the second half in similar fashion, bulling his way for 5 yards on first down.

On second down, he took a pitch from Brohm and headed left, only to be horse-collared by Kentucky's Wesley Woodyard. Bush's right leg bent awkwardly underneath him, and he flopped to the ground writhing in pain.

When he didn't get up, the capacity crowd that roared as the Cardinals raced to a 31-0 lead grew silent. Bush lay on the ground for several minutes before being placed on a stretcher and taken to a hospital.

Kentucky wide receiver Keenan Burton, a lifelong friend of Bush's, consoled the star running back as he left the field.

"We did have some guys with their heads down because you hate to lose a guy like that," Petrino said. "He was our team leader."

Bush finished with 128 yards on 17 carries. Now the Cardinals will have to rely on reserve running backs Kolby Smith and George Stripling. The duo filled in admirably for Bush, combining for 21 carries, 158 yards and two touchdowns.

"I look at it as an opportunity," Smith said. "I know I have to do everything that I can to help the team win. The coaches said Stripling and I had to carry the team."

Brohm, playing his first game since a devastating knee injury last November, threw for 254 yards and a touchdown, showing no ill effects from nine months of rehab. Brohm completed his first pass and, more important, survived his first hit, bouncing up quickly after getting drilled by Kentucky's Myron Pryor on Louisville's second drive.

He moved nimbly when he had to and stood in the pocket during the few times the Wildcats generated pressure.

"I felt comfortable and I didn't even think about it," Brohm said. "It really helped that I had a lot of protection and didn't get hit very much. I really came away barely touched."

Bush's injury cast a shadow over Louisville's fourth straight win over its state rival. Kentucky coach Rich Brooks fell to 0-4 against the Cardinals.

"They were hitting us before we hit them and we knew the snap counts," Brooks said. "I expected us fully to be better up front. They manhandled us up front."
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:50 PM   #2
Bluegrass Bengal
Water Boy

Member Number: 3040
Default Re: A little news with M. Bush

He's a great player and it was an awful hit and injury. Bush will surely be given a medical redshirt for next season and have another chance to play. He has incredible NFL potential and by next year could have another shot at the Heisman if he's recovered.

"Being a diehard University of Kentucky fan is not a
destination, it is a journey throughout the rest of your life." -Unknown

"Because there are no fours." -Antoine Walker, when asked why he shot so many three pointers.
Bluegrass Bengal is offline   Reply With Quote