Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #11
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479
Default Re: The OL thread...

Yeah, Colon is not a good player at all...I don't think he is serviceable. He was prone to getting beat and was a false start and holding machine. He is a guard at best and if he was there some of his big issues would be less noticeable. They might resign Starks who is still better than Colon...but I am banking on Gilbert to be amazing because Scott is not good at all either.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #12
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Strongly disagree on Colon. He was one of the better right tackles in the league in 2009. Chicago even offered him 3 million more than what we payed him. Check out what Walter from walterfootball.com has to say about the deal:

"Steelers re-sign OT Willie Colon (5 years, $29 million): A+ Grade
The Steelers show us again why they're one of the smartest and most successful franchises in the NFL. This was a terrific move; Willie Colon is one of the top right tackles in the league, yet Pittsburgh was able to get him for only $29 million over five years. The Steelers had to make this deal in the wake of 400-pound Max Starks' departure."

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2011OT.php
http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2011recap.php
Old 07-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #13
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
Not sure to call this the offense or Offensive line thread, but it needed its own thread... lol

Ok, now that I'm through with bad puns, what is our starting line for this season?

Scott
Kemo
Pouncey
Bronco
Colon

That is my first guess, but I could see Foster in for Bronco...

I don't think Gilbert will start this year and is he a RT or LT?
Excuse my ignorance but who is "Bronco"?
ETL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #14
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

I like Wille Colon a lot and think he's one of our best OLs. I was really confused during the offseason about cutting him and such - I thought it was because of the cap, but I am glad he is still with us.

I like Starks too but if he is too much of an injury risk - I can totally understand letting him go.
ETL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #15
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
Excuse my ignorance but who is "Bronco"?
Legursky, last year I heard him referred to as Bronco Legursky. I guess a nickname.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #16
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Goofy

I like Colon, but I don't think he is a top ORT in the league, I do think he could be a pro bowl guard.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #17
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

One good thing is we all know for the most part Sean Kugler made all those guys better. Here's hoping he does wonders with Colon too. As for the left side I expect Jonathan Scott but who knows by mid-season Gilbert or Chris Scott may be up to speed. A leaner Starks would be welcomed back. But he might sign somewhere else.

I thought if Flozell stayed he could move back to LT. but he just may not have it anymore to play over there.
Colon though is the typical Right Tackle. Big, Strong, Clumsy. Left Tackles are more the agile athletic guys.

One more thing about Colon sticks out thinking back, and it is probably why I wasn't crazy about him, is that he is on the ground way too much. If your on the ground you can't be blocking someone. Flozell was rarely down and you can see the same from Pouncey. That is the first step in being a great O-lineman, to simply stay up on your feet.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:48 PM   #18
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinfrench76 View Post
I completely agree that Colon is not terrible. He is very serviceable. My biggest concern is Scott. How they can say he is a starting LT in this league is beyond me! I love Legs getting a start at RG, Colon at RT and Pouncey at C. The left side is a mess with Kemo and Scott. Now that Flo didn't resign, we actually need Starks. If for no other reason than insurance.
He'd be alot better if he can control his penalties....

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #19
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

I don't like what I'm seeing. I haven't felt like we have ever had a good offensive line, I would say mediocre at best. In fact, when we beat the Cardinals in the SB most people said it was the worst offensive line to win a SB. Last year when we lost, I heard a lot of people saying it was the worst offensive line to make it to the SB. Pouncey might end up in the hall of fame one day and I like Legursky, but other then that the O line scares me. I think as Steeler fans we give Colon WAY more credit then he deserves. Is he absolutely horrible? No, but again, he is mediocre. Adams I thought was good but he's gone. Kemo has solid play sometimes, but if he is against somebody good he usually looses. Scott is atrocious. If Gilbert the rookie can make a big enough impact in the preseason maybe he will get some playing time and turn out to be a great player, to early to tell, but I don't know if we can keep going to AFC championship games, going to SB's, and winning SB's with guys who nobody has even heard of other then us Steeler fans. I'm not trying to be negative, but Ben needs a LT, it's too early to tell who it is but if it's somebody that's already signed, I don't like it. Almost every year the Steelers surprise me, and I think the team wins usually in spite of the O line (and Arains), but I'd like to see that change.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:34 AM   #20
davidtrout
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17600

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
Legursky, last year I heard him referred to as Bronco Legursky. I guess a nickname.
Yes, it is a nickname, but not his. It's in reference to this Hall of Famer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronko_Nagurski

Just a little history for ya.