Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-25-2006, 11:28 AM   #1
One4daThumb
Water Boy

Member Number: 1181
Default finding an ex Steeler

I was recently down Atlantic City at Harrah's to be exact and of course I was wearing my Steelers hat and an older guy comes up to me and says hey your a Steelers fan huh. I said to him. Yes huge Steelers fan. He told me he used to play for the Steelers. He had a Steelers hat on and a Steelers jacket and I was like yeah ok. Anyways he pulls a platic card out of his wallet that says Steelers alumni and he shows me another card that says NFL alumni. Now I am thinking this guys for real. I must have talked to the guy for about an hour. He was telling me how when he played he played both sides of the game and how the guys today are such pussies, only after the money. Anyway I am almost 99% sure he said his name was Ralph Longmore. Not sure about the spelling but I am almost certain thats who he said he was. So I figured I would do some searching on him and I can't find much. I figured this guy was in his mid to late 70's so I was figuring he played in the 50's. The only Ralph Longmore I can find played at Duquegne and was picked up by the tehn called Yanks. He said he lived in Pittsburgh and said they even owned a Steelers bar I believe called Longmores. I am presuming it is a Steelers bar. Anybody know anything about him or know of his bar? I was just curios, because he seemed like a really great guy. My kind of Steeler if ya know what I mean. Thanks
One4daThumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:31 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: finding an ex Steeler

Going by the all-time Steeler roster, I see nobody with that name. Closest I found was (T) Ken Longnecker. Sorry brother.

http://media3.steelers.com/tradition/alltimeroster/#L

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 05-25-2006 at 11:50 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:09 PM   #3
MNsteelers
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 841

Quote:
Originally Posted by One4daThumb
I was recently down Atlantic City at Harrah's to be exact and of course I was wearing my Steelers hat and an older guy comes up to me and says hey your a Steelers fan huh. I said to him. Yes huge Steelers fan. He told me he used to play for the Steelers. He had a Steelers hat on and a Steelers jacket and I was like yeah ok. Anyways he pulls a platic card out of his wallet that says Steelers alumni and he shows me another card that says NFL alumni. Now I am thinking this guys for real. I must have talked to the guy for about an hour. He was telling me how when he played he played both sides of the game and how the guys today are such pussies, only after the money. Anyway I am almost 99% sure he said his name was Ralph Longmore. Not sure about the spelling but I am almost certain thats who he said he was. So I figured I would do some searching on him and I can't find much. I figured this guy was in his mid to late 70's so I was figuring he played in the 50's. The only Ralph Longmore I can find played at Duquegne and was picked up by the tehn called Yanks. He said he lived in Pittsburgh and said they even owned a Steelers bar I believe called Longmores. I am presuming it is a Steelers bar. Anybody know anything about him or know of his bar? I was just curios, because he seemed like a really great guy. My kind of Steeler if ya know what I mean. Thanks
I grew up in Pittsburgh but went to college in the midwest. I've always been a huge fan of the Steelers, but a huge fan of the NFL as well. I was in a bar in Fargo, N.D. (where I went to school), and after a while a guy came up to our group and told us he was former Vikings linebacker Scott Studwell. He was definitely very big, and even more drunk. We were talking to him, and I asked him very specific questions about the Vikings when he played (what did you think of the Herschel Walker deal at the time? What did you say to Darrin Nelson after he dropped that pass in 1987 at Washington?). He rarely knew what I was talking about, but when prompted, seemed to make up some kind of story.

It left me to think he was either just really that drunk, touched with a bit of dementia after years of getting his head pounded, or just a complete liar.

Sounds like your boy is option C.
MNsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:59 PM   #4
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304

My son and I went to the NE game 2 years ago on Halloween (I still can hear Steeler fans singing "Who's Your Daddy?". We had flown to Pittsburgh, so obviously we were flying home. In the airport were tons of Pathetic patsie fans as well as Steeler fans. We went to our gate and are sitting there reading about the game the previous day. This guy all dressed in Steeler garb came over and started talking about the game. He had a hat on signed by big ben. My son said to him, Did you get that hat through your connections or buy it on Ebay? Long story short, this guy told us he was Ben's grandpa from kansas, Ben's real mom was his daughter. We talked tohim for a really long time, he told us how much it costs Ben to rent out a box for his family, he told us when he would receive his bonus and how much it would probably be.(that may be public record). He also said it was not enough. Anyway he did sign that issue of USA Today. I have no idea if he really was Ben's grandpa or not. I have never heard or read anything about Ben having any ties to Kansas. Oh well, it was an enjoyable conversation fiction or not:)
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:37 AM   #5
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

Let me tell you the story of "When I played for the Steelers." You see it was 1986, I had just graduated from the University of Bull S H I T!

Oh well, some of the stories that you were told may be true. There's still a lot of honest people left in the world along with an always increasing number of liars. I would tend to believe the elderly over todays generation.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:17 AM   #6
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Pit
I would tend to believe the elderly over todays generation.

Don't. There are more than enough guys who worked as supply clerks in Georgia who claim to have been at Iwo Jima, or Bastogne, or wherever. And look at the huge number of fake Vietnam vets.

A guy I used to work for always claimed to have played guard for the Patriots in the early '60s. So I figured I'd do him a favor and find a team photo with him, or some sort of memento. This was in the mid-80s, no internet research available. I finally found out that there was no record of him ever being on the team... I asked him about it, and he made up somethig about practice squad, injured knee, etc. And I dropped it. I had gone to the library, and looked at pre-season rosters, prospects, rookies, etc in the Boston papers. He wasn't there, and there was no point in calling him on it.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:27 AM   #7
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I`ve met three people in my life that claimed to be former Steelers, all which I discovered was BS, all three were older gentlemen, one a bartender about 65 with the last name Steel, everybodt wants to be somebody
Old 05-26-2006, 11:14 AM   #8
Indy_Steelers
Team Captain

Member Number: 1117

Longmores Pub
6140 Butler Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15206-0000
Phone: 412-784-9527

it is in the strip district i think
Old 05-26-2006, 11:40 AM   #9
TheTruestBlackGoldFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 2314

Quote:
Originally Posted by One4daThumb
The Bar exists the owner(s) are John and Elva Longmore and their houses on the same street as the bar/pub amazing what you can find out on the internet... The guy is legit...

The Actual Bar: http://www2.county.allegheny.pa.us/R...&Name=longmore

Last edited by TheTruestBlackGoldFan; 05-26-2006 at 11:47 AM.
TheTruestBlackGoldFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:48 PM   #10
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

But there is no "Longmore" on the Steelers all time roster...

http://media3.steelers.com/tradition/alltimeroster/#L

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote