Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-24-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Penguins Select Jordan Staal

Penguins select Jordan Staal with their No. 2 pick
Saturday, June 24, 2006
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- The Penguins selected center Jordan Staal with the No. 2 pick in this evening's NHL entry draft at GM Place.

Staal, a 6 foot 4, 215-pound center from Peterborough in the Ontario Hockey League, had 28 goals and 400 assists in 68 games last season. NHL Central Scouting rated him second among forwards and defensemen from North America.

St. Louis, which had the No. 1 choice in the draft, selected defenseman Erik Johnson from the U.S. national developmental program. He was the only player rated ahead of Staal.

Penguins general manager Ray Shero fielded numerous trade proposals in the days leading up to the draft -- Carolina and Nashville appeared to be particularly interested in acquiring the Penguins' first-rounder -- but ultimately deemed them all inadequate to make him pass on Staal.

"He's got a lot of room to grow, and this kid has uncanny hockey sense," Shero said. "He's so skilled. It's hard to contain guys like that. When you're drafting at (No.) 2, I want to take the upside of the player, and I think he's got it."

In the second round, the Penguins selected Carl Sneep, a 6 foot 4, 210 pound defenseman from Brainerd, Minn. He was rated No. 26 among North American forwards and defensemen.

Sneed had 14 goals and 23 assists in 26 games for Brainerd High School. He is scheduled to attend Boston College.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06175/701011-100.stm
Old 06-24-2006, 09:01 PM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Default Re: Penguins Select Jordan Staal

Wow..........4 out of the 8 first picks were American. Nice to see.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:05 AM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Also........

Penguins buyout Caron and Endicott's contracts
Saturday, June 24, 2006

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- The Penguins have bought out the contracts of goalie Sebastien Caron and center Shane Endicott, making both unrestricted free agents.

Caron and Endicott were entering the final year of their deals, and will receive one-third of the money they were scheduled to earn in 2006-07.

Caron, who would have been in the final season of a four-year deal, was to earn $722,000, and will get $240,664.26 in his buyout. Endicott, entering the back end of a two-year contract, was to be paid $643,720 and will receive $214,573.31.

Caron, who turns 26 tomorrow, was the Penguins' fourth-round draft choice in 1999. He was 8-9-5, with a 3.98 goals-against average and .881 save percentage in 26 games with the Penguins last season.

Endicott, 24, was a second-round choice in 2000, and entered last fall as a top candidate to center the checking line. He got a severe ankle sprain a few days into training camp, however, and was unimpressive in 41 games with the Penguins, putting up one goal and one assist.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:22 AM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

NHL Draft: Penguins round by round selections
Sunday, June 25, 2006

1. Jordan Staal ..... Center

6-4, 215 pounds ..... Peterborough Petes (OHL)

Data: Born Sept. 10, 1988. ... Taken with the No. 2 overall choice. ... NHL Central Scouting rated him the No. 2 prospect among North American forwards and defensemen. ... Has outstanding hand skills and is considered a good skater for a big man, although his speed must continue to improve. ... Is the younger brother of Carolina center Eric Staal, who was taken second in the 2003 draft and was regarded as more polished, but not as physically dominant, at the same age.

2. Carl Sneep ..... Defenseman

6-4, 210 pounds ..... Brainerd (Minn.) High School

Data: Born Nov. 5, 1987. ... Taken with the No. 32 choice. ... Central Scouting rated him the No. 26 prospect among North American forwards and defensemen. ... Has solid all-around game, but will be looking to add a mean streak to take advantage of his size. ... Put up 14 goals and 23 assists in 26 games at Brainerd before joining Lincoln of the United States Hockey League after the high school season. ... Plans to attend Boston College.

3. Brian Strait ..... Defenseman

6-0, 200 pounds ..... U.S. national developmental program

Data: Born Jan. 4, 1988. ... Taken with the No. 65 choice. ... Was Central Scouting's No. 22 prospect among North Americans, and had been projected by many to go late in the first round or early in the second. ... Had two goals and 11 assists in 47 games with the national program, for which he was team captain. ... Is reputed to be excellent body-checker, despite relatively modest size. ... Plans to attend Boston University.

4. No pick

Note: Traded to Florida for a fourth-round choice in 2007.

5. Chad Johnson Goalie

6 foot 2, 175 pounds Alaska-Fairbanks (CCHA)

Data: Born June 10, 1986. ... Taken with the 125th choice. ... NHL Central Scouting had him rated the No. 21 goaltender in North America. ... Was 6-7-4, with a 2.56 goals-against average in 18 games last season. ... Catches left.

6. No pick

7. Timo Seppanen Defenseman

6 foot 1, 209 pounds IFK Helsinki (Finland juniors)

Data: Born July 22, 1987. ? Taken with the 185th choice. ? Was ranked 13th among European forwards and defensemen after being 37th in Central Scouting's midseason ratings. ? Plays a simple game and has been praised for his hockey sense.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:10 AM   #5
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

We continue to stockpile young talent.....

My worries are.....

1. Can Shero put together the right mix of youth and veterans? (Unlike the Patrick debacle of last year)

2. WHEN the team is sold (foregone conclusion)..will it stay in Pittsburgh
Old 06-25-2006, 07:25 AM   #6
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

I love the young talent we are getting here in Pittsburgh. As far as the team staying in Pittsburgh I think they will. Now the Penguins are not as big as the Steelers are, but they do have a big following here.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:29 AM   #7
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:56 AM   #8
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
Wow..........4 out of the 8 first picks were American. Nice to see.
Well, I really try to get into the NHL. But for some reason I just can't get into like I do other major sports. I did watch and follow the Pens when Mario and Jagar were on the team. Mostly the playoffs.

I couldn't tell you anything about this current pick. I knew Sid the Kid was going to be special player and he had a hell of rookie year. But about this current pick. Of course he isn't going to be on the Sidney Crosby level of talent. But was it a good pick for the Pens? I thought they needed some defensivemen or if I'm wrong on that let me now. When the NHL season does start I'll try like every year to get into it.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:57 AM   #9
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosdo
I love the young talent we are getting here in Pittsburgh. As far as the team staying in Pittsburgh I think they will. Now the Penguins are not as big as the Steelers are, but they do have a big following here.
No Doubt prosdo. If Rendell and the PGC no what's better for PA they give the slots license in Pittsburgh to Pittsburgh First. That new Arena will play big in the redevelopment in the lower hill district.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:07 PM   #10
Petesburgh66
Team Captain

Member Number: 1988

The Penguins were damed if they do and damed if they don't with the second pick. They needed a stud D but couldn't get it via a trade for the second pick. Since Erik Johnson was picked first, the next top 5 players were centres. With Malkin coming in this year, I don't think Pittsburgh was looking for another centre. But you couldn't pass up on Staal.

Scouts say that Jordan Staal is better than his brother Eric in Carolina. He has the same physical presence and a slighly better skill set than Eric. He is great skater and faceoff man with a long reach. For his size, to have those skills with the new NHL is a huge bonus. He will be a good two play player. But time will only tell. He could be the next Brett Lindros.
Petesburgh66 is offline   Reply With Quote