Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-26-2011, 04:10 AM   #1
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Sick
Default Salary cap

The Steelers are over the cap by 10 million. What do they do to get under? Not only do they need to get under, but sign rookies and veterens woodley and Taylor.

First off El is gone, that should cut 2 million.

A couple of guys might have to redo their contracts. A. Smith might be one and Farrior might be another.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:11 AM   #2
pancake
Head Coach

Default Re: Salary cap

The Hotel is suppose to make big money this year, do we cut him?
Old 07-26-2011, 04:34 AM   #3
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

If we cut Flozell then we are forced to sign Colon, which will probably eat up the same amount of cap space. I doubt we let go of both go.

My guess is Adams takes a pay cut from $5 million to $3.5 and plays out his final year with Gilbert taking over next season.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:51 AM   #4
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

I wouldn't expect Taylor to resign, I know we are thin at CB but it might be best to let Ike walk and take a chance with the kids we have drafted. Far more important to extend Timmons and get Woodley inked to a long term deal.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:54 AM   #5
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Taylor is gone. with a 120mill cap we just cant afford him. i dont care how many contracts we restructure we cant afford Taylor and if we do squeeze him in there then we will loose either Woodley or Timmons next season
Old 07-26-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,517 Times in 3,750 Posts

If you release Flozell (which as noted above requires signing Colon) and Randel-El, have a sit down with Aaron Smith on needing to take a haircut on the last year of his contract, and try to work out something with Woodley to avoid paying the franchise tag that is a start. Given his lack of playing time over the last 2 seasons and the reasonable chance he breaks down again, the Steelers may just need to release Smith. -- sad to say the steelers have learned life goes on without him

I refuse to believe there have not been back channel discussions with agents during the lockout to discuss potential deals - also consider the possibility Roethlisberger restructures his deal
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #7
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Steelers could probably make room for Taylor this year because any new deal would be structured with the signing bonus spread over the length of the contract and then he would earn the league minimum in actual salary. He may take home like 12 million or more in actual dollars this year but his cap hit would be pro-rated.

As far as next year Aaron Smith, James Farrior, Flozell Adams, and even maybe James Harrison could be all off the books. Other guys like Randal El, Trai Essex, Chris Hoke, Mewelde Moore, Matt Spaeth, Will Allen, Keyaron Fox, Ryan Clark, Willie Colon, Nick Eason, Larry Foote, William Gay, Bryant McFadden could also be gone. That's like 24 mil right there. Include the above names first mentioned and it's like 42 million.

We have to survive this year and then our team will transition to younger players and who knows someday the Steelers may find themselves 20 million under the cap and needing to spend that much for a Big time free agent to maintain their cap obligation to the NFLPA.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,081 Times in 4,583 Posts

finally... some real football talk. I ended my boycott of all things NFL about a week ago, and the 1st bit of reading i started doing was our cap situation.

James walker had a nice piece that mentions what most have already said. get rid of flozell, sweed, and el and restructure smith/sign woodley long term.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...-to-cap-relief

Quote:
ESPN.com senior writer John Clayton recently wrote an insightful piece updating the projected salary-cap figures for NFL teams. One note that stood out in the AFC North is that the reigning division champion Pittsburgh Steelers are projected to be more than $10.51 million over the cap.

That means Pittsburgh has plenty of work to do this summer. But fear not, Steeler Nation. The AFC North blog has provided Pittsburgh an easy-to-follow guide for cap relief.
I really wanna keep flozell and el on the cheap for leadership though
Old 07-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
pancake
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
finally... some real football talk. I ended my boycott of all things NFL about a week ago, and the 1st bit of reading i started doing was our cap situation.

James walker had a nice piece that mentions what most have already said. get rid of flozell, sweed, and el and restructure smith/sign woodley long term.

Excellent article, thanks Tony.

I would like to see them cut El, and restructure Flo and Smith. Then sign Woodley to long term and sign a CB. Maybe I should also wish to win the lotto...
Old 07-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

We have one of the oldest teams in the league...Leadership should not be needed!