Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 07-31-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410
Default Steelers lack of free agency

Let me first preface what I'm about to say with I know I will sound like an ungrateful fan. And how I can I complain when we are consistently a competitive team? But, it just seems to me that we never sign ANY big name free agents. We've needed corner help for years and the best we do is resign McFadden. We did nothing about it. Plax would have made our passing game better IMO, and he simply goes to the Jets. The Steelers just never seem to utilize the free agent market. I don't get it.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479
Default Re: Steelers lack of free agency

Plax wouldn't have been a big boost as people think because we don't have a lot of jump ball plays and who the hell cares about him. He left on his own so stay away...I am glad they didn't sign him.

I was just at camp yesterday and some of the drafted and undrafted rookies were really impressive. I think that there are some real talented guys. Sweed and (undrafted rookie) Eric Greenwood really had some great catches both are big guys (Greenwood is 6'7) and Eric stayed after practice with Tomlin and the QBs. There are some really good guys and I think we will see some rookies make the roster to develop.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
skinart82
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3485

I would rather them give the time to someone they can develope and keep around for a number of years, instead of a guy that at best would be around for a couple of years. Plex will not be the talent everybody wanted to put the money up for.
skinart82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
skinart82
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3485

But I do agree, I would like to see at least a little excitement during FA!
skinart82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
BigBen2WardPITT
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 551

i just wanted them to get some o-linemen, because that will really hinder our team this year. CBs, yea, we've always had issues, but our front 7 usually do so well it doesn't matter as much. Plus Troy pics up on the CBs slack.

But yea one CB and well, a lot of o-line would have been ideal to me.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,534 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
But, it just seems to me that we never sign ANY big name free agents
It doesn't seem that way. It's the way it is.

Quote:
We've needed corner help for years and the best we do is resign McFadden. We did nothing about it.
Yes we did. Like you said in your VERY FIRST SENTENCE we went out and got McFadden, who was a Steelers winning Super Bowl corner here before, for a late draft pick from Arizona. Not only that, but years ago we got Czedon (sp) Butler and Keenan Lewis as potential replacements for the future. This years draft we went out AGAIN and picked 2 potential future CB's back to back: Curtis Brown & Cortez Allen.

Not only that, but we signed our own personal All-Pro in Ike Taylor. You're overreacting.

Remember now, the Pittsburgh Steelers are built from the inside out. We come up with schematic zone blitz's that get after the quarterback. When was our last Hall of Fame, shutdown corner at CB? Rod Woodson so we proved we can win without shutdown corners as long as we are manageable with collapsing the pocket around the QB.

We are about to lock up LaMarr Woodley long-term, something that HELPS our cornerback situation with applying pressure long-term on our outside rush. Got to pay attention to the whole team landscape before you go off and claim we never do anything because we DO, and we do it well.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

CB was addressed big time this year in the draft and we got Butler last year. Keenan Lewis was picked up a few years ago. Although he wasn't the answer, it is not like they are not trying to fill in those spots. Free agency is expensive and eats up the salary cap. The Steelers don't work that way. Build from the draft and pick up an affordable free agent now and then. That is all you are ever going to see from them. And it seems to be working with 3 Super Bowl appearances in 5 years. Steeler fans who have been following the team forever understand this and have learned to live with it due to the success of the formula. Philadelphia spent a fortune in free agency this year. It doesn't mean squat.They could easily fall flat on their face due to no chemistry.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,886 Times in 3,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinart82 View Post
But I do agree, I would like to see at least a little excitement during FA!
I prefer excitement in January

Steelers have been competitive for most of the period since Cowher arrived in 1992 and have had the best run of any team in the league since 2005 by signing their own and knowing when to let their own go

If you want them to let Timmons and Woodley go that will free up money for FA signings and after an exciting FA period we can spend January watching hockey
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
LambertIsGod58
Team President

next post

Last edited by LambertIsGod58; 07-31-2011 at 12:15 PM. Reason: miskey
Old 07-31-2011, 12:14 PM   #10
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
CB was addressed big time this year in the draft and we got Butler last year. Keenan Lewis was picked up a few years ago. Although he wasn't the answer, it is not like they are not trying to fill in those spots. Free agency is expensive and eats up the salary cap. The Steelers don't work that way. Build from the draft and pick up an affordable free agent now and then. That is all you are ever going to see from them. And it seems to be working with 3 Super Bowl appearances in 5 years. Steeler fans who have been following the team forever understand this and have learned to live with it due to the success of the formula. Philadelphia spent a fortune in free agency this year. It doesn't mean squat.They could easily fall flat on their face due to no chemistry.

Apparently you missed the first part of my post.