Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-27-2006, 12:16 AM   #11
Volpe1564
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 397
Default Re: Five Players in the Wrong Situation From the '06 Draft

[QUOTE=WWIIOwheelz] I can't remember EVER being happier about what I'm seeing going into training camp. The Steelers have lost a couple of guys I've grown fond of over the years, but they have bigger & better replacements and have improved in receiving.QUOTE]

i argee, the only thing im really still worried is FS Clark.....i hope im wrong....

dont like my politics?? dont voice yours and i will not voice mine
Volpe1564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 12:43 AM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,618 Times in 4,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
...and you have now lost all credibility. The Steelers are not a running team. The Steelers have a rather balanced attack in the first quarter, Ben builds a large lead, then Cowher sits on the lead by running. Cowher is very good at this. He has lost 1 game out of the 108 that he has gained a lead of 11 or more at any point in the game. While the numbers would make it appear that the Steelers are a running team, and Ben relies on the run, here are some stats that might prove otherwise:

Ben Roethlisberger's first quarter passer rating: 144.2
Ben Roethlisberger's yards per first quarter: 71
Carson Palmer's yards per first quarter: 62
Peyton Manning's yards per first quarter: 69
it was tossed over the plate and you just smacked him out of the park. i particularly liked where he said the steelers lost their best running back. what he failed to mention was that the bengals lost their best running back 2 years ago, who promptly went on to win a super bowl with the patriots. corey dillon was right. he would NEVER win a ring sticking around with that franchise.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 04:19 AM   #13
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Santonio Holmes, WR, Pittsburgh: This is no knock on the organization, because it did win the Super Bowl last year. It is, however, a reminder that the Steelers haven't fared well recently with receivers taken in the first round. Plaxico Burress struggled with inconsistency. Troy Edwards never did anything. Holmes may be more willing to accept the realities of playing in the Steel City -- more blocking and less pass-catching opportunities than first-round receivers are used to -- but he'll still have to understand that Hines Ward is the man in that system. [/B]

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ft.luck/1.html

Okay...Point 1) SI is a rag that makes my parrot stick its butt OUT of its cage so as to not improve upon its writing.
Point 2) If they paid any atention at all to Pitts drafting trends, they would see that We have gotten away from drafting Edwards/Burress caliber of players...and started drafting players with better character. I think that We have just figured out that Cincy wants all the Chris Henrys of the world, and since they will ALWAYS have better draft position than us..they can have them
Point 3) As an ex-army Vet...let me explain something to SI writers...Bengals Fans ...Homeless people...Ray Lewis...and those "special" people who have been institutionalized. The quality of the weapons you possess are never based on how often you use them...they are SOLELY based on effectivness when utilized and the ability of the user to know when/where/how to utilize them. To say that Holmes is a poor pick for Pitt because We have Ward...is the military equivalant of saying that planes are useless since we have tanks. Holmes is a legitimate weapon unto himself...PERIOD!
Point 4) I seem to remember a very effective ground game in the late 70's ...and two HALL OF FAME recievers that even SI may recall were ...oh I dont know...HALL OF FAME RECIEVERS!!! Makes one think that a good ground game and effective passing attack may co-exist. HMMMMM...some may even call that a "well-balanced" team.
Well..back to teaching my parrot that the crap on its SI bedliner was there before I lined its cage.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 06:54 AM   #14
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
...and you have now lost all credibility. The Steelers are not a running team. The Steelers have a rather balanced attack in the first quarter, Ben builds a large lead, then Cowher sits on the lead by running. Cowher is very good at this. He has lost 1 game out of the 108 that he has gained a lead of 11 or more at any point in the game. While the numbers would make it appear that the Steelers are a running team, and Ben relies on the run, here are some stats that might prove otherwise:

Ben Roethlisberger's first quarter passer rating: 144.2
Ben Roethlisberger's yards per first quarter: 71
Carson Palmer's yards per first quarter: 62
Peyton Manning's yards per first quarter: 69
Hey BBC,

Excellent post, nice stats.

I hear this Cowher related stat alot here - only losing 1 out 108 games after being in a 11 point lead.

The thing is, we dont have any real context for it - what is the NFL average?, how does it compare to other top coaches historically?

I have no idea how to go about finding this stat as it doesnt show up on the end of game stats.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 06:57 AM   #15
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth
Santonio Holmes, WR, Pittsburgh: This is no knock on the organization, because it did win the Super Bowl last year. It is, however, a reminder that the Steelers haven't fared well recently with receivers taken in the first round. Plaxico Burress struggled with inconsistency. Troy Edwards never did anything. Holmes may be more willing to accept the realities of playing in the Steel City -- more blocking and less pass-catching opportunities than first-round receivers are used to -- but he'll still have to understand that Hines Ward is the man in that system. [/B]

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ft.luck/1.html

Okay...Point 1) SI is a rag that makes my parrot stick its butt OUT of its cage so as to not improve upon its writing.
Point 2) If they paid any atention at all to Pitts drafting trends, they would see that We have gotten away from drafting Edwards/Burress caliber of players...and started drafting players with better character. I think that We have just figured out that Cincy wants all the Chris Henrys of the world, and since they will ALWAYS have better draft position than us..they can have them
Point 3) As an ex-army Vet...let me explain something to SI writers...Bengals Fans ...Homeless people...Ray Lewis...and those "special" people who have been institutionalized. The quality of the weapons you possess are never based on how often you use them...they are SOLELY based on effectivness when utilized and the ability of the user to know when/where/how to utilize them. To say that Holmes is a poor pick for Pitt because We have Ward...is the military equivalant of saying that planes are useless since we have tanks. Holmes is a legitimate weapon unto himself...PERIOD!
Point 4) I seem to remember a very effective ground game in the late 70's ...and two HALL OF FAME recievers that even SI may recall were ...oh I dont know...HALL OF FAME RECIEVERS!!! Makes one think that a good ground game and effective passing attack may co-exist. HMMMMM...some may even call that a "well-balanced" team.
Well..back to teaching my parrot that the crap on its SI bedliner was there before I lined its cage.
Nice post Lamberts tooth,

I enjoyed the military analogy - you are quite correct about Hines Ward - if anything having a real consistent field stretcher (if things work out) in Holmes should make Ward even more effective as his underneath routes will be alot more open.

SI has some nice pics - but the analysis leaves alot to be desired.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:52 AM   #16
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Santonio Holmes, WR, Pittsburgh: This is no knock on the organization, because it did win the Super Bowl last year. It is, however, a reminder that the Steelers haven't fared well recently with receivers taken in the first round. Plaxico Burress struggled with inconsistency. Troy Edwards never did anything. Holmes may be more willing to accept the realities of playing in the Steel City -- more blocking and less pass-catching opportunities than first-round receivers are used to -- but he'll still have to understand that Hines Ward is the man in that system. [/b]

Edwards was drafted in the first round prematurely, Steelers dropped the ball here, no pun intended. Plax was drafted a little earlier than he should have been also, all because of one good bowl game. But neither had Ben and oour new well rounded offense, Holmes will be a star in the Burgh!
Old 05-27-2006, 09:54 AM   #17
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
I hear this Cowher related stat alot here - only losing 1 out 108 games after being in a 11 point lead.

The thing is, we dont have any real context for it - what is the NFL average?, how does it compare to other top coaches historically?
I'm sure the average is not 99.991%
Old 05-27-2006, 10:03 AM   #18
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,618 Times in 4,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
Hey BBC,

I have no idea how to go about finding this stat as it doesnt show up on the end of game stats.

NM
i remember last year during MNF they were talking about a similar stat of bill parcells. cowher had him beat by like 20-25 games i think.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:24 PM   #19
Santonio4
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2307

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
Santonio Holmes, WR, Pittsburgh: This is no knock on the organization, because it did win the Super Bowl last year. It is, however, a reminder that the Steelers haven't fared well recently with receivers taken in the first round. Plaxico Burress struggled with inconsistency. Troy Edwards never did anything. Holmes may be more willing to accept the realities of playing in the Steel City -- more blocking and less pass-catching opportunities than first-round receivers are used to -- but he'll still have to understand that Hines Ward is the man in that system. [/b]

Edwards was drafted in the first round prematurely, Steelers dropped the ball here, no pun intended. Plax was drafted a little earlier than he should have been also, all because of one good bowl game. But neither had Ben and oour new well rounded offense, Holmes will be a star in the Burgh!
Yup! He might not be a pro bowler anytime soon because of two reasons: We run the ball all the time, and when we do pass Hines is the primary guy. But maybe all that will change and we can unleash Big Ben.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:25 AM   #20
ben2hines=6
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2277

by far the worst situation for any player drafted in the first round was deangelo williams to the panthers....ur taking a scat back to a team who has a power run game! this pick was unbelievably stupid. i mean yea they dont trust foster but u have to take a power back to replace stephen davis. why not lindel white with that pick, u have time to give him to learn his system and he has a proven man in front to take some slack off him just like at USC. i feel that the best part about this pick was that the colts didnt get him...haha
ben2hines=6 is offline   Reply With Quote