Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 08-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #11
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734
Default Re: Now that the dust is settling,ARE WE better this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I don't know what you guys are looking at. How many WRs are even
practicing, I mean, ones who will make the roster? Sanders just
had foot surgery. He is starting to look like a guy who can't stay healthy.
Hines is out with the thumb. OL is in shambles. If we played today, what
would our OL look like?

Scott Legs Pouncy Foster Colon

That is probably the worst starting OL in the NFL.

Nothing has been done to improve a secondary that GB showed the WORLD
how to dissect. Nothing.

But you guys think we are BETTER? We had a perfect storm that allowed
us to make the SB last year, mainly Jets beating a NE team that would have
trashed us,easily.

I am still holding out that a few player will be added, because as things stand,
we are looking at non-contending season.
Last year a lot of people said we'd be lucky to go 10-6. LUCKY!!! to go 10-6.

I said 12-4. I predicted we'd be 4-0 when Ben got back. I was close and when you look at the Ravens game they got lucky. Am I smart? Not really. Here's my thinking. We have one of the best head coaches in the league and hands down the best defensive coordinator. 3 of the first 4 games are away but after that our schedule gets a lot easier. I say 13-3 and I'm sticking to it!!
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #12
thumper
Banned

Member Number: 13415

Quote:
Originally Posted by solardave View Post
Last year a lot of people said we'd be lucky to go 10-6. LUCKY!!! to go 10-6.

I said 12-4. I predicted we'd be 4-0 when Ben got back. I was close and when you look at the Ravens game they got lucky. Am I smart? Not really. Here's my thinking. We have one of the best head coaches in the league and hands down the best defensive coordinator. 3 of the first 4 games are away but after that our schedule gets a lot easier. I say 13-3 and I'm sticking to it!!
I think I had us at 12-4 last year if memory serves. But this year we
could start out 1-3 if things stay as they are. Our OL, secondary
and WR units are in shambles. No other way to describe it.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #13
thumper
Banned

Member Number: 13415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
I see thumper is the resident optimist of the forum.
A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Quote:
The Steelers didn't change much from last year and they were in the super bowl, so why would that lead you to believe that they will be non-contending?
The majority of SB losers come back and suck the next year, even though
they are mostly returning with the same basic team, especially truth
with older teams, which we are.

SB losers in the modern day.

2009 Colts - were a shell of usual team by play offs. Not a legit contender.
2008 Cards - Made play offs, but weren't contenders
2007 Pats - never made SB since.
2006 Bears - losing record next season
2005 Seahawks - stunk next year
2004 Eagles - haven't made it back since
2003 Panthers - Fell into disrepair
2002 Raiders - Toast since
2001 Rams - Put an end to them every contending since.

As you can see, SB losers rarely do well the next year, and many times
plain suck after losing the SB, even though they return with the same basic team.

Quote:
It's still too early to really say what has improved or regressed, but it seems that Keenan Lewis has a reasonable shot at being the new nickel back, which should improve the secondary.
Did I really just read this? What has Lewis ever done to indicate he will
be a good player some day? He sucks. Why would he all of a sudden be
an asset? It's not like it's only his 2nd year.
Quote:
There is also a lot of potential in Crezdon Butler and Curtis Brown to provide depth. Maurkice Pouncey should be even better this year than last year, and the better a center is, the better a line is as a whole. Jonathan Scott finished off the season relatively strong. I really don't see his second half performance as much of a dropoff from what Max Starks offered. Willie Colon left 09 as probably a top ten right tackle, and he now has not only a nice, new contract, but a chip on his shoulder. There's no reason to believe he won't man the RT position at least on par with Flozell's performance from last year. There are seemingly multiple options at both guard spots. Competition is always good. Who knows? It could be Keith Williams and Doug Legursky by the time the season starts. Kemo's frequent mental lapses would not be missed. Mike Wallace will be entering his second year as a starter. His trajectory is still very much upward. Emmanuel Sanders should be fine and will be more integral to the offense this year than last year. Same with Brown. Anything from Sweed is simply a plus. Ward's thumb injury should not be an issue at all and will probably be back in practice today or tomorrow.
1 thing that could make Colon, who was never that good to begin with,
is a torn Achilles. Some never make it back from that injury. I am not saying
we are doomed; it's too early. But I am saying there is lots to be worried about.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #14
Farrior_roirraW
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12978

Quote:
WR units are in shambles.
Riiight.

I cannot believe anyone would believe such a thing.

"I am proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it. I was born to be a Steeler." - Farrior
Farrior_roirraW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #15
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
The majority of SB losers come back and suck the next year, even though
they are mostly returning with the same basic team, especially truth
with older teams, which we are.

SB losers in the modern day.

2009 Colts - were a shell of usual team by play offs. Not a legit contender.
2008 Cards - Made play offs, but weren't contenders
2007 Pats - never made SB since.
2006 Bears - losing record next season
2005 Seahawks - stunk next year
2004 Eagles - haven't made it back since
2003 Panthers - Fell into disrepair
2002 Raiders - Toast since
2001 Rams - Put an end to them every contending since.

As you can see, SB losers rarely do well the next year, and many times
plain suck after losing the SB, even though they return with the same basic team.
I would say that you put far too much stock in irrelevant trends. The Steelers were no less likely to win the super bowl last year or the year before that entering the season than they are this year.

Quote:
Did I really just read this? What has Lewis ever done to indicate he will
be a good player some day? He sucks. Why would he all of a sudden be
an asset? It's not like it's only his 2nd year.
Keenan Lewis showed a lot of potential in the preseason last year up until he faltered when given the start against the Broncos, and everything that I have read so far for this camp is that he has done very well so far. Steelers Digest said that he is the only corner so far (with Ike and Gay not able to practice at the time) that can cover Mike Wallace deep. I think there is a reasonable chance that Keenan Lewis becomes a significant contributor in his 3rd season, if not as a nickel back, then as a dime back, which I suspect the Steelers would be more comfortable using this year as opposed to last. They were using Joe Burnett 2 years ago and he's certainly better than Burnett.

Quote:
1 thing that could make Colon, who was never that good to begin with,
is a torn Achilles. Some never make it back from that injury. I am not saying
we are doomed; it's too early. But I am saying there is lots to be worried about.
There are only a few elites at every position across the league. Willie Colon is not and will never be an elite right tackle. But he is a good right tackle that merits the contract that he got. Rumors have said that Colon had been just about fully healed even before the last season was over. Speed and mobility were never a dominant part of Colon's game, so I don't see his play being significantly affected in 2011 by his injury.

You're right, there is a lot to be worried about, or concerned, but the way that you express your worries is excessive. There is no position on the Steelers that can be described as "in shambles". They have positions that are weaker than others, but it's impossible to have a fully balanced team. The Packers have weaknesses too.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #16
Wallabeast17
Starter

Member Number: 18370

I have to say in some ways we are better, although it is way to early to tell. We have depth at wr. Yes we are unsure about some of them and sanders is out a few weeks but that still leaves ward Wallace brown miller(yes I know he's a te) Lyons and the other udfa so I think we will be fine.

Ol, well it's been bad for a while but I say it's no worse then last year!

Ben is still Ben

Dl is old but we have two great youngsters wanting for playing time and ziggy has proven himself

Lb farrior is old and James has had surgery twice but with worlids and sylvestor we are fine

Db a lot of young unproven players, but with the addition of brown and Allen, we aren't worst then last year.... Just my 0.2cents. So all you debby downers out there it's not the end of the world I say 11-5 easily probably 12-4 but who knows we could go 4-12 so who knows rofl
Wallabeast17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #17
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

I'm jacked about the upcoming season. I think we will be very good and our youngsters will turn some heads. Some people on this forum are way too negative, if we ignore the negativity, maybe they will go away. LOL.
Rick5895 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:55 PM   #18
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,056 Times in 557 Posts

I'll be honest with you guys, my stomach hurts from the loss. I can not get it out of my mind. I do not know what to think about this season. The only thing I can think of is them winning it all to make up for it.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #19
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

I think it's to early to tell. First off, even though I always have confidence in the Steelers, I do worry about the post SB blues. Hopefully we won't see any of that. Most of the team is the same. The "talent" spots on the offense are the same. The WR's and starting tight end are the same and have an extra year of experience (Brown, Sanders), so overall that looks good. Mendenhall played real well at the end of last year. Ben is always great. On the other side of the ball, the D line starters are the same and they all perform well, although I'm not sure how Smith will play this year. No problem though cause Hood and Heyward are ready to step up. The LB group is bulletproof as always, I'm not worried about Farrior's age at all, Harrison will still be a beast as will Woodley. Timmons has been playing well and we have young talent behind them. Clark and Polamalu are back. Other then the post SB stuff, my main worries are the CB's and the O line. The O line has been bad for years, but we still win. I don't think we can do that every year. With Colon and Legursky starting this year I expect them to be a bit better, but still not good. I wouldn't say we are better in that area. Last year McFadden was always getting burnt and he's back. Also teams saw how we are seemingly defenseless against quick passes and spread formations. Unless Brown steps up big we will be "mediocre at best" as far as coverage goes. Not necessarily worse then last year, but I don't think we can go to the SB like that again. Ultimately, I think it's to early to tell. Brown at corner and Gilbert on the O line have a lot to do with if we are better or not, even though they are rookies, because of the position they play. Overall, I'm optimistic and think we can win it all still, but it will be tough. My .02
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #20
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

Still concerned about our secondary. People are gonna expose us if we don't address it. We never do.
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote