Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 08-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Steelers Youth Showing Promise While Veterans Sit

The Steelers young guys are getting oppurtunities while veterans sit out with injuries and CBA hold ups. They are taking advantage of it. Many of these young guys look like they have the goods and are showing it to the coaches while they can. There are a few guys in particular who really are making names for themselves.

Baron Batch- This kid has showed up ready to play. He came in as a 7th round pick just looking to make the roster and he is surely making his presence felt. Batch was known as a pass catching third down type back when coming to the Steelers and looks like he will be able to hold down that position.

Batch had a good day in backs on backers drills (shown above). He was able to hold off guys like Jason Worilds and even slowed down James Harrison who gave the kid some love after the drill was over. He held his own and got big cheers from his peers for his effort.

Batch drew more yells from his teammates and the crowd as he made some stellar cuts yesterday in practice as well. He can catch. He can run. Most importantly he can block. He has third down back written all over him. This kid is has the potential to be a good one.

Curtis Brown- Brown is getting a shot right now to run with the first team. Ike Taylor is still out because of the CBA. Bryant McFadden, Keenan Lewis and Crezdon Butler have all been on and off with injuries and Brown has gotten a chance to show his stuff. And WOW does he look like the real deal. This is only practice but the kid looks great. If he hits the field and plays as well as he is in practice I can understand why we didnít draft anyone sooner at the position.

This kid is a pure cover guy. Look at his eyes in the picture above. This is not to claim he is a superstar but if you listen to most talent experts they always talk about Darrelle Revis and how his eyes never leave his Receivers midsection. This is where Brownís eyes always are. You can not go anywhere without your belly button. You can make as many head shakes and feet shuffles as you want but as a defender if you follow a guys midsection you can stay with him.

Brown can also tackle. He is exactly what the Steelers attempt to draft. Guys who can cover but is also willing to come up and hit in the running game. If what we are seeing now is shown on the field in preseason look for Brown to make a run at the Nickel Cornerback spot.

Keith Williams- The sixth round pick out of Nebraska is a mean, mauling SOB. This sounds familiar. Almost identical actually to another guy. Hmmmmm. Oh yeah Carl Nicks the All Pro guard out of Nebraska who we passed on for Tony Hills. Great decision. Offensive Linemen from Nebraska always seem to have this same demeanor. Williams definitely did not fall far from that tree.

He is in place at left guard for the time being while Chris Kemoeatu is hurt and Doug Legursky is out due to the CBA. Williams looks really good in the running game right now. His pass protection skills are average right now but very well can be improved upon. It is only week 1. He has very good potential.

There are others who are making waves but these three have stood out among the others. I didnít even mention first round pick Cameron Heyward. He has people in front of him so he is taking his time learning behind them. He is in a good spot right now. This looks to be another good draft class. There could be many contributors to this yearís team even without OTAís. Just think if these guys got to practice all summer
Old 08-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
Wallabeast17
Starter

Member Number: 18370
Default Re: Steelers Youth Showing Promise While Veterans Sit

That is very good news! Especially with brown and Williams. Everyone knows we need cb and ol help. And for batch, why did we bring back moore, to fair catch punts now that el is gone? Batch seems like he will be the go to guy on 3rd downs in the future and even this season!
Wallabeast17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

i heard good things about Williams from everyone. if he keeps this up he may be our starting guard very soon. as for Brown, i hope he can start as our nickel back and soon take over mcfaddens side and move mcfadden to nickel
Old 08-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,456 Times in 1,416 Posts

i got pumped up just reading that...

big fan of baron batch!!!
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,467 Times in 3,546 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

hopefully we have a draft that is much like last year's, where almost every draft pick was an instant contribution. if that happens i really like our chances this year. especially if our rookies at the db position can make any kind of positive impact
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Can't wait to see these guys in a preseason game.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

That would be great if Brown comes out and plays like a pro, like how Pouncey did at center. McFadden gets burnt all the time and the sooner he is not a starting CB the better. I don't really understand Batch's role since Redman performed so well last year, not that I don't like him, I just don't see him as making much of a difference.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
That would be great if Brown comes out and plays like a pro, like how Pouncey did at center. McFadden gets burnt all the time and the sooner he is not a starting CB the better. I don't really understand Batch's role since Redman performed so well last year, not that I don't like him, I just don't see him as making much of a difference.
McFadden was hurt last year, but I would love to see Brown make hum a nickel back. I hope Batch performs so well he makes Moore expendable.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #9
Wallabeast17
Starter

Member Number: 18370

i think batch takes moores spot as early as before week 1 vs the ravens. sounds crazy right? well he is younger, faster and already impressing the coaching staff. Moores role will be limited to punts with brown kinda like last year with el and brown. not that i dont like moore it's just i think batch will be decent enough to take his spot..maybe im wrong we will see after the pre season
Wallabeast17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
steelax04
Head Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

Like the article said, this is only practice. However, I'd rather have tons of potential than a ho-hum showing by the new guys. If this translates over to game time, damn, they might not be as bad off as some Debbie-downers have been proclaiming all over this board.
steelax04 is offline   Reply With Quote