Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Media

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
SteelerFanInATL
Team Captain

Member Number: 369
Default Former Steelers coach Horton delivers gift before leaving

Wednesday, August 03, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Maurice "Mo" Matthews is accustomed to preparing and serving lunch and dinner to the Steelers coaches and staff in the team's cafeteria on the South Side.

It's not very often when he is served the type of surprise he received from former secondary coach Ray Horton.

On the day he was leaving for his new job as defensive coordinator with the Arizona Cardinals, Horton parked his car -- a red 1999 Mercedes Benz SL500 convertible roadster -- in front of the team's office complex and went inside to say goodbye to the cafeteria staff.

When he saw Matthews, he said to him, "Hey, I need a favor from you. How much money you have in your pocket?"

Matthews said, "I got $20."

Horton took the money, looked at it and said to Matthews, "Sold for $20!"

And then Horton handed Matthews the keys to his car and told him to keep it.

"I'm like, 'Stop playing with me Ray; don't play with me,' " Matthews said. "The other [workers] were looking at me, their jaws dropped.

"Ray said, 'Hey, you always liked the car, you're a good dude, I know you'll take care of it. It's yours."

The following day, Horton had Matthews drive him to the airport in the Mercedes convertible, which had 64,000 miles on it. When Horton picked him up, he handed Matthews the title and proper paperwork to transfer ownership of the car.

"I'm still in shock," Matthews said. "I don't think it has hit me yet. I still pinch myself. I look out the window when I bring it to work and I just go, 'Man, that's mine.'

"People ask me what's it need, and I tell them it doesn't need anything. All it needs is a driver."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11215...#ixzz1U6YJ26ty