Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2006, 07:43 AM   #21
sheba
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Member Number:
Default Re: Big Ben is Even Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
Ben is only going to get better. We've only seen the tip of the iceberg so to speak, on his talent and potential. I mean comon, a 2 year starter and he's already won a SB, been to the playoffs twice, and led his team to comeback victories on the road, only lost a handful of games in his career overall. The guy is gonna be a monster for us and only going to get better.
He will led the steelers to 4 more SB.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:55 AM   #22
3 to be 4
Team Owner
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: a delightful Kansas City Suburb
Posts: 2,642
Gender: Male
Member Number: 992
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Big Ben is Even Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Pit
Tom Brady wanted to be Joe Montana but Belichick pulled the reins back on him. I've never heard of any blow ups amongst those two so hopefully Cowher and Roethlisberger can find neutral ground as well. With the exception of last year Brady has had moderate numbers similar to Roethlisberger. I would guess that Brady has been pretty darn happy with his NFL career.
how has Belichick pulled the reins back on Brady? Montanas stats were pretty similar to Brady's.
for all the praise Shula gets for changing his philosophy to suit his personnel, I think Shula lost his mind when he got Marino. Up until 1983 the Dolphins always had strong defenses and a pretty decent running game. the 1982 team got to the Super Bowl on defense. Once Marino came, Shula never had a decent running game or decent defense again.
Cowher showed great balance last year in seeing what he had at QB, using that weapon in ways he'd never had before, but not losing his mind about it. Ive ranked on him before but id be the first to give credit where credit is due, Cowher coached brilliantly last season and showed he'll know how to handle the situation just fine.
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:03 AM   #23
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter
 
clevestinks's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,326
Member Number: 302
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Big Ben is Even Better!

I thought Brady led the league in passing? How are the reins being pulled back?
__________________
<b>BLEEDING BLACK & GOLD IN OHIO</b>[
clevestinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:07 PM   #24
LuckyNumber7
Draft Prospect
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Roethlisburgh
Posts: 147
Member Number: 2177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Big Ben is Even Better!

Great great article! I am already so pumped for the season, and after reading that, I am more pumped than ever!!!!

*LN7*
__________________
"Stay Classy Steeler Fans."
LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:21 PM   #25
Steel Pit
Banned
 
Steel Pit's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London, Ohio
Posts: 737
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2140
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Big Ben is Even Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 to be 4
how has Belichick pulled the reins back on Brady? Montanas stats were pretty similar to Brady's.
for all the praise Shula gets for changing his philosophy to suit his personnel, I think Shula lost his mind when he got Marino. Up until 1983 the Dolphins always had strong defenses and a pretty decent running game. the 1982 team got to the Super Bowl on defense. Once Marino came, Shula never had a decent running game or decent defense again.
Cowher showed great balance last year in seeing what he had at QB, using that weapon in ways he'd never had before, but not losing his mind about it. Ive ranked on him before but id be the first to give credit where credit is due, Cowher coached brilliantly last season and showed he'll know how to handle the situation just fine.
I totally agree with your assesment of Cowher. I used to rank on Cowher as well but I like the balance that he showed last year. My initial reply was simply saying that the pass/run ratio was good enough last year and if Roethlisberger wants to pass even more than Cowher will have to pull the reins back on him.

I do however disagree with your assesment of Montana/Brady. San Francisco was a pass first type of offense in my opinion. Even Roger Craig was known more for his receptions than his running ability. You don't put up the numbers that Montana and Rice put up without a significant amount of passing plays. I'm sorry but I think that your way off base when comparing Brady to Montana, totally different offensive philosophies.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:29 PM   #26
William Munney
Water Boy
 
William Munney's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 35
Member Number: 2379
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Big Ben is Even Better!

He'll only get better. A lot of talent surronds him this season. I expect more Super Bowls to come...
William Munney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:41 AM   #27
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter
 
SteelShooter's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Stationed with Navy in Stennis Space Center, MS.
Posts: 2,324
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2156
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool Re: Big Ben is Even Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Munney
He'll only get better. A lot of talent surronds him this season. I expect more Super Bowls to come...
Me too Bro, me too!
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:50 AM   #28
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter
 
SteelShooter's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Stationed with Navy in Stennis Space Center, MS.
Posts: 2,324
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2156
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool Re: Big Ben is Even Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Pit
I totally agree with your assesment of Cowher. I used to rank on Cowher as well but I like the balance that he showed last year. My initial reply was simply saying that the pass/run ratio was good enough last year and if Roethlisberger wants to pass even more than Cowher will have to pull the reins back on him.

I do however disagree with your assesment of Montana/Brady. San Francisco was a pass first type of offense in my opinion. Even Roger Craig was known more for his receptions than his running ability. You don't put up the numbers that Montana and Rice put up without a significant amount of passing plays. I'm sorry but I think that your way off base when comparing Brady to Montana, totally different offensive philosophies.

I agree with most of this. My only complaint with Bill was sometimes he played it a little too safe on Defense. Even Ben was quoted, and captured on film, asking Cowher during the SuperBowl if they were going to "Play to win, not Play to not lose."
I do see often, when protecting a lead, a soft secondary. Sometimes I can see not wanting to give up the big play.....but does it really matter when they have plenty of time and are just chipping away at the short yardage?

But I think we can expect another SB appearance. Maybe not this year (though I really hope so), but soon.
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:20 AM   #29
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 39,864
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 2,147
Thanked 9,530 Times in 3,968 Posts
Default Re: Big Ben is Even Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelShooter
Even Ben was quoted, and captured on film, asking Cowher during the SuperBowl if they were going to "Play to win, not Play to not lose."
wasnt that right before ben threw that horrible int. near the endzone that almost went for a td the other way?
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:28 AM   #30
siss
Team Captain
 
siss's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 831
Gender: Female
Member Number: 1611
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Big Ben is Even Better!

I have a feeling that if Ben had his way the steelers might make an anual appearence in the super bowl. They might rename it to the Steelers invitational Bowl. And while that may never happen, its good to dream right?
__________________
"It seems every year there is some reason they are trying to doubt me. Small school, I was playing as a rookie and now this. I?m looking forward to proving to people that I?m up to the task."
~Ben Roethlisberger~

He's ready, Steelers fans. His ordeal over, his return will be complete come Saturday in Arizona, when football again becomes the focus and a career briefly interrupted resumes.
~SI aticle 2006~
siss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts