Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #81
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,677 Times in 2,624 Posts
Default Re: Woodley gets his contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post

In 2009, he had an interception in nearly every single game he played in.
But he only played in five of them - it gets back to paying for someone who unfortunately has by now a well developed history of missing games and being slowed by injuries

We simply disagree on Troy

Let's see whether he gets signed or not - it is my wild guess that Bouchette from the P-G has better information on the team than either of us and he has flagged the question of whether Colbert is biting on a long term deal for #43
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #82
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

I see no evidence of him being slowed by injuries when healthy. There's a difference between being slowed by injuries and being injured. The issue is not how injuries affect him, but how he can stay healthy, because he has consistently shown that he is the same player he's always been when healthy.

I see no way in which the Steelers let Polamalu retire in another uniform. They regret letting Rod Woodson walk bad enough, and they've shown more willingness than ever in the past several seasons to retain their own star players, so I see it as a matter of when, not if, that Polamalu gets a new deal.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #83
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
I may be wrong, but the teams had until this past Thursday (August 4) to get under the cap. All NFL teams complied with that. That was reported yesterday on the NFL network,.
How would they fully comply with that with guys like Cotchery still looking to sign with teams? I'm no salary cap expert but something seems fishy.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #84
pancake
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
If you look forward rather than look back, signing a 26 years old Woodley is a more important signing than resigning a Troy in decline, who has made it through only one out of the past five seasons without missing significant time due to injuries

Troy has been a tremendous talent when healthy but as Troy heads into his 9th season IMO it would be a big risk to pay him what will be the market rate for the top safety in the league with a new contract going forward - this exchange with Ed.B. of the P-G today indicates the Steelers front office may agree

READER: I love Troy P as much as anyone and fully understand his value to the Steeler D. However, I do not think the Steelers should pay an injury prone safety $10 million per year to possibly play 10 games. If I was in charge, I would sign Timmons first, have Troy play this year and franchise him next year after we see if he can stay healthy for 16 games.

BOUCHETTE: I did not know Kevin Colbert was a Plus member who sent me his thoughts. Not Kevin? You may be thinking alike.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ports/steelers

If Polamalu does not get a new deal it will be because his time is passing, not because of the Woodley signing
It would be much easier to sign Troy this year than Timmons. Troy has a big cap # and signing him would lower his # this year. Timmons has a low cap # and it will be a lot bigger if he signs first...
pancake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #85
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

post gazzett had an article about who will sign first and they thought timmons. this is troy's 3rd contract and will be a big one. timmons is the future of the team, troy will be 31 next season.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #86
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,677 Times in 2,624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
It would be much easier to sign Troy this year than Timmons. Troy has a big cap # and signing him would lower his # this year. Timmons has a low cap # and it will be a lot bigger if he signs first...
But the Steelers made the cap for this year - it is more a question of how to spread the $$ around for 2012
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #87
pancake
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
But the Steelers made the cap for this year - it is more a question of how to spread the $$ around for 2012
Of course all of this is my opinion, but I think it's more of trying to get two key components locked down. I think it would be cheaper to sign them now, prices will be higher next year. At least I assume...
pancake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #88
Lord of Lombardi
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15247

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
It's not an overstatement at all. Woodley has a viable backup in Worilds, who played the same LOLB position college and had snaps there this season. Who's the backup to Timmons? Sylvester has to take over for the declining James Farrior who's probably on his last year. Timmons was arguably the best 3-4 ILB this season. He's more athletic and versatile in that he can play inside and outside. He also is playing the roaming role that we're so accustomed to seeing Polamalu do. Woodley is an oversized albeit good pass rusher with one move. He drops into coverage like all of our LBers do in zone but doesn't have the athleticism to cover a TE like Timmons does.

Rosenthal is Timmons' agent. Hopefully he won't test the market because I'm 100% sure any of these new developing 3-4 teams will throw tons of money towards him with his talents. He'll demand at least $9 million a year probably more imo.
Bro-You say that Woodley was overpaid and in your last breath here you say Timmons will demand $9 mil per year or more? Now you're talking overpaid! Timmons has so much talent but name me two consecutive years that Timmons has strung together? You can't. I know, I know, he has all the talent. And Woodley is not a drop back LB so if you are looking for him to be one, Go Long!

Keep in mind that Woodley was not a LB in college and after a few years transitioning, I'd say he is doing pretty damn good with his one move. It took Timmons what? his first few years to get on the field consistently. Harrison and Woodley are the best "book ends" in football and they allow Troy and other LB's to roam. Don't chalk it up to athleticism and be done with it.

But you're learning so keep it up.
Lord of Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote