Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 08-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default CB battle

There is a log jam at the Cornerback position this season. That does not mean it is a good log jam but there is one. The Steelers were able to lock up Ike Taylor and brought back William Gay this offseason. The team also drafted 2 players in April. With Bryant McFadden, Crezdon Butler, Donovan Warren and Keenan Lewis already on the squad this team will have some tough decisions to make when the final roster comes out. There are 8 guys and possibly only 5 or maybe 6 spots available. Two of these guys at a minimum are going packing.

With the shortened offseason Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden should probably be penciled in as starters. They were there last season and we did make it to the Super Bowl. The battles start at Nickel Corner and beyond. I believe the team will keep 6 corners this year with all the young guys on the team. They normally make good special teamers as well.

Option 1

William Gay- Gay and McFadden took to the media today to talk about how they are mistreated and people donít know what they really do for the team. Yes they get picked on. Yes fans make fun of them. BUT, also yes they are the weakest link. If either of these two (Gay Especially) could cover anyone Jorday Nelson wouldnít have whooped our ass in the Super Bowl. How about you stop whining about getting picked on and pick off a pass or maybe even just knock one down. When we play teams that throw quick passes and we canít pass rush you two get crushed. Ask Gronkowski from the Patriots what it is like to score three touchdowns in a game Willie.

If you couldnít tell I do not like William Gay. I was pissed when we signed him even if it was a one year deal. I do not want to cut another rookie and lose them to another team and Gay hasnít shown me anything in his career. I would rather take a chance on someone. They canít be any worse and they are definitely a lot cheaper.

Option 2

Kennan Lewis- Lewis received his shot last year in the preseason and after 1 quarter was in Mike Tomlinís doghouse for the rest of the season. He was given the oppurtunity to try and start and blew that right out the window. He has the size and the skillset to be good. He has great speed but it seems as if he is missing something upstairs. He has practiced well in the preseason and got some good reps while Ike Taylor was not allowed to practice. Lewis has the potential. Now lets see if he can get that Nickel Cornerback away from William Gay.

Option 3

Crezdon Butler- Butler is a bit of an unknown. He comes with high praise from the coaches about how well he works but we have not really gotten to see him on the field that much to be able to judge what could become of him. From what we hear we should be fans and expect him to become a solid player but I need to witness it first. He only got in four games last season and it was all on Special Teams. He only made one tackle. I hold out hope for this kid.

Option 4

Donovan Warren- Warren was brought in as an undrafted and teamless free agent at the end of last season. He was highly regarded by scouts coming from Michigan. He had a bad combine and people started watching more tape and he fell off the face of the earth on draft day in 2010. He spent some time with the Giants last season but utlimately was cut. He looks like he should be more of a Free Safety then a corner. I think it may be practice squad or bust for Warren.

Option 5

Curtis Brown- Brown was brought in as a third round draft choice out of Texas. He has been lucky to have all of the minor injuries and CBA problems. It has given him many reps with the first team defense. He has even been running with the second team at the same time as well as playing on Special Teams. They are wearing the kid out already. He is taking it though and that is impressive.

Brown looks to be a good cover corner. He makes up ground and breaks on the ball while it is in the air very well. He has good vision at the corner spot. Even with his small frame he is not afraid to hit. I do not think he will be in the rotation in game 1 but by the end of the season I expect to see this kid in the Nickel Cornerback role if he keeps playing at the level he is now and gets better throughout the year.

Option 6

Cortez Allen- Allen looks like what the Steelers love to bring to the team. He follows in the Ike Taylor, Kennan Lewis type player. Big corner with size and speed who has potential but is very raw. Allen has a long way to go to be a good corner but even as a project he seems to have that quality that you canít teach. He could be someone who really helps us down the line. His roster spot may be set because we can not afford to let another team snag him once he hits waivers.

The Steelers are young at corner and look to be getting even younger. There seems to be a change over happening with this unit and it could be a good thing for this team.

Week 1 Depth Chart

1.Ike Taylor
2.Bryant McFadden
3.Keenan Lewis
4.Curtis Brown
5.Crezdon Butler
6.Cortez Allen
Mid Season Depth Chart

1.Ike Taylor
2.Bryant McFadden
3.Curtis Brown
4.Crezdon Butler
5.Keenan Lewis
6.Cortez Allen
I do not like William Gay and he is only going to hurt this team by making the roster. I realize that he most likely will but it does not benefit the team especially if we lose one of the rookies to keep him.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,151 Times in 960 Posts
My Mood: Cool
Default Re: CB battle

Quote:
I do not like William Gay and he is only going to hurt this team by making the roster. I realize that he most likely will but it does not benefit the team especially if we lose one of the rookies to keep him.
couldn't agree with you more
fer522 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

Gay is a pretty good blitzer, but terrible in coverage. Why not keep him in some blitz/ zone packages?
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Gay is underrated as a nickel corner. I guarantee there are worse nickelbacks in this league. There's also no way that he doesn't make the roster. They would not have given him a one year deal if he was not a lock.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Gay is underrated as a nickel corner. I guarantee there are worse nickelbacks in this league. There's also no way that he doesn't make the roster. They would not have given him a one year deal if he was not a lock.
Very true!
Old 08-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860
My Mood: Aggressive

We just got to hope Gay made strides to straighten up his game in the off season!The coaching staff is around these guys on a regular basis and must see something,im putting my trust in the coaches...Awwww shit,I forgot about B.A....
Old 08-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,861 Times in 2,902 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i wouldn't be surprised if bryant mcfadden is the one who doesn't make the cut.

gay is not bad in the nickel, just not covering a #1 wr or tight end
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479

Cortez is way to far down on the list.

I think that Taylor and McFadden will start as our #1 guys but I think BMac will fall behind either Curtis Brown or Cortez. I think Gay will be the Nickel guy as long as one of the rookies doesn't show him up. I think the depth will end up.

Taylor, Brown, BMac, Gay, Allen, Butler....with the last two getting reps in Nickel and Dime packages.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #9
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Gay seems to be horrible covering anybody. Of course Taylor and McFadden will start game one, but the more I here about Brown the more I like him. A good coverage corner that isn't afraid to make a big hit, that is exactly what we need. Lewis can go and I wouldn't mind seeing Gay go either, but that's unlikely. I'm just hoping that Brown comes out and plays extremely well, like Pouncey did his rookie year, and takes the #2 spot from McFadden. McFadden got burnt a lot last year, however in Nickel I think he would do okay.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Anybody that thinks Curtis Brown will surpass Bryant McFadden this year doesn't really understand the situation. McFadden will be the #2 corner all season barring injuries. It's possible that Keenan Lewis beats out Gay for the nickel position before the season begins, but there's no way Brown even sees the field on anything but special teams (again, barring injury) until later on in the season. The kid's only had a playbook for a couple weeks. And Cortez Allen might not even see the active roster last year if he even avoids being put on the practice squad. He's by far the most raw and least ready cornerback on the entire roster.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote