Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #1
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default I would like to thank the.......

........................cinci bengals, for barely squeeking out that so called win in Pittsburgh, Dec 4. First after our defense played as poorly as they did and giving up 38 points. We still had chances to win, when Palmer dropped back to pass on first down, with just under 3 minutes to play, and Troy Polamula just dropped an out pass. Then Lewis knew better than to let Palmer throw anymore, because he didn`t want to ruin his confidence, and he knew Palmer was a nervous wreck and was all set to choke. So they ran the ball and got stuffed.
And we still had oppurtunities. But a holding penalty on the return, and two false starts probably cost us our last legitimate chance.Yes the bungles came up with two sacks, mainly due to the two false starts so Ben had to drop back further and hold on longer. No excuses but our left tackle was very inexperienced and thrown to tthe wolves.
But that is all part of the game congrats cinci great game. It must be nice winning your superbowl in Dec.

Now the reason I`m thanking the bengals is because I think this was our EYE OPENER, it was at this point that we noticed that we had work to do. I really think this was the turning point, we had to turn it on. So thank you bengals, it was worth giving up the AFCN belt, that thing was just slowing us down anyway.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,138 Times in 2,641 Posts
Default Re: I would like to thank the.......

that definitely the eye opener and the turning point. the steelers probably wouldve rather lost to the texans or sf in that fashion. their run through the rest of the regular season and playoffs showed that.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
........................cinci bengals, for barely squeeking out that so called win in Pittsburgh, Dec 4. First after our defense played as poorly as they did and giving up 38 points. We still had chances to win, when Palmer dropped back to pass on first down, with just under 3 minutes to play, and Troy Polamula just dropped an out pass. Then Lewis knew better than to let Palmer throw anymore, because he didn`t want to ruin his confidence, and he knew Palmer was a nervous wreck and was all set to choke. So they ran the ball and got stuffed.
And we still had oppurtunities. But a holding penalty on the return, and two false starts probably cost us our last legitimate chance.Yes the bungles came up with two sacks, mainly due to the two false starts so Ben had to drop back further and hold on longer. No excuses but our left tackle was very inexperienced and thrown to tthe wolves.
But that is all part of the game congrats cinci great game. It must be nice winning your superbowl in Dec.

Now the reason I`m thanking the bengals is because I think this was our EYE OPENER, it was at this point that we noticed that we had work to do. I really think this was the turning point, we had to turn it on. So thank you bengals, it was worth giving up the AFCN belt, that thing was just slowing us down anyway.
Yea totally agree. Plus all the turnovers we had in the game and we still only lost by a TD. Another thing to mention is how everyone says when Ben has to pass to win we can't. Thats crap look at that game. Sure Ben had the three picks. But Ben also threw 3 TD's and posted the third most passing yards in game by a Steelers QB. Plus his completion percentage was an amazing 72 percent in that game. Ben also had an injured thumb also. The thumb is important when throwing a football. So even though we lost that game.

I think Ben proved he can carry the team with passing the football. He made three bad throws in that game. Its just to bad they were all picks. Sometimes a loss is more important then a win. That loss really spring board our run late in the season and post season.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 06:00 PM   #4
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

As I pointed out earlier, the KEY to this game (I was there, by the by) to me was the fact that Marvel Smith tried to play and couldn't, so Essex had to come in, which changed the entire dynamic of our offense. Instead of leaving Smith alone to protect Ben's back, we had to stick an additional TE on the left side for a lot of plays, which effectively left us a man short...and we still almost came back and won the game.

It's not an excuse, just an observation, but, providing that our offensive line stays healthy next year, it's not a particularly great omen for the Bengals '06 chances against the Steelers.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 06:05 PM   #5
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
As I pointed out earlier, the KEY to this game (I was there, by the by) to me was the fact that Marvel Smith tried to play and couldn't, so Essex had to come in, which changed the entire dynamic of our offense. Instead of leaving Smith alone to protect Ben's back, we had to stick an additional TE on the left side for a lot of plays, which effectively left us a man short...and we still almost came back and won the game.

It's not an excuse, just an observation, but, providing that our offensive line stays healthy next year, it's not a particularly great omen for the Bengals '06 chances against the Steelers.
Very good point and I agree. Smith proved how important he was when he wasn't in the lineup. The turnovers was really the reason we didn't win the game. What did we have like 5 or 6 in that game? All those turnover and to only lose by a TD. But hey it doesn't really matter we still won the Super Bowl. Yea the Bengals did beat us to win the AFC North but they are still looking up at us.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:17 PM   #6
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I COULD bitch about the TJ offensive pass interference on his long TD reception from Palmer, but I won't...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 06:18 PM   #7
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
I COULD bitch about the TJ offensive pass interference on his long TD reception from Palmer, but I won't...
Leave the bitching for Seahawks fans.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:52 PM   #8
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
I`m with you, I could complain about alot of things, but hey a loss is a loss. Chalk it up as a learning experience!
Old 05-28-2006, 04:05 AM   #9
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Actually the poor O-Line showing in the Bengals loss AND the Indy loss set both of those teams up later on in the season ...both thought they had a better defense than they really had....both tried to get fancy in their blitz schemes and both allowed Ben to pick them apart with his passing....
Only difference is that Harrison/Dungey took their lumps like men...Johnson/Lewis could have dampened every terrible towel in the stadium with their tears
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:59 AM   #10
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth
Actually the poor O-Line showing in the Bengals loss AND the Indy loss set both of those teams up later on in the season ...both thought they had a better defense than they really had....both tried to get fancy in their blitz schemes and both allowed Ben to pick them apart with his passing....
Only difference is that Harrison/Dungey took their lumps like men...Johnson/Lewis could have dampened every terrible towel in the stadium with their tears

Good takes!

This season we leave no doubts!