Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 05-27-2006, 09:46 PM   #1
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Craig "IronHead" Heyward dies.

Just saw on ESPN that Craig Heyward died at the age of 39. This is all I know! I know must of us are most familiar with his college football, but he played for the Saints also.

My deepest sympathy goes out to his family!

R.I.P.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:49 PM   #2
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Re: Craig "IronHead" Heyward dies.

TLANTA -- Former NFL fullback Craig "Ironhead" Heyward, who played 11 seasons in the league with five different franchises, died here Saturday after a seven-year battle with a recurring brain tumor.

Heyward, who retired from the league following the 1998 season, was 39.

Given the severity and aggressiveness of Heyward's tumor, known as a chordoma, and the inability of surgeons to completely remove it during two operations, his death was not unexpected. Heyward also suffered a stroke a few years ago that left him partially paralyzed.

But friends who had visited recently with Heyward, including one-time NFL quarterback Bobby Hebert, a former teammate in both New Orleans and Atlanta, certainly did not expect his death to come so quickly.

Hebert told ESPN.com two weeks ago that he was apprised that the tumor had wrapped itself around Heyward's brain, that further surgical attempts were not planned, and that the once-mighty fullback would likely survive another three to five years.

"The one thing he's still got and that hasn't changed a bit," Hebert said at the time, "is that devilish sense of humor of his. Hopefully, that will keep him going for a while."

In a statement released by the University of Pittsburgh, coach Dave Wannstedt, who helped direct Heyward to the school and also coached him with the Chicago Bears, said: "I will always remember him as a tremendous player who had an irrepressible attitude on and off the field. We spoke just a few weeks ago and I was struck by the typical upbeat 'Ironhead' attitude he displayed despite his health. The thoughts and prayers of the entire Pitt family are with Craig's loved ones during this time of sorrow."

Heyward departed Pitt as an underclassman to enter the NFL draft and was the first-round selection of the New Orleans Saints in 1988. He played from 1988-92 for the Saints and then had stints with Chicago (1993), Atlanta (1994-96), St. Louis (1997) and Indianapolis (1998).

In 149 games, Heyward registered 1,031 carries for 4,301 yards and 30 touchdowns. He also posted 177 receptions for 1,559 yards and four touchdowns. His finest season came with the Falcons in 1995, when he rushed for 1,083 yards and six touchdowns and earned his lone Pro Bowl berth.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:58 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,366 Times in 4,304 Posts

holy shtt! he was always my favorite saint! i remember when he had his complications a few years ago but had forgotten about him here recently (he hasnt been in the news or nothing). this sucks.

r.i.p. ironhead! you provided plenty of years......
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:44 PM   #4
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
Just saw on ESPN that Craig Heyward died at the age of 39. This is all I know! I know must of us are most familiar with his college football, but he played for the Saints also.

My deepest sympathy goes out to his family!

R.I.P.
That sucks I liked Ironhead. May he R.I.P. and I hope the best for his family in their time of sorrow. Craig also was a basketball player. I remember hearing a story about his college coach complaining that during practice about always replacing the backboard since Ironhead used to tear them down by dunking the ball all the time.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:09 AM   #5
BlacknGold Bleeder
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1254

R.I.P. so young ,damn shame liked his style.

ATLANTA (Ticker) - Former NFL fullback Craig Heyward died Saturday after a lengthy battle with a recurring brain tumor. He was 39.

A former Pro Bowler, Heyward suffered from what is known as a chordoma, a very aggressive tumor which doctors were unable to completely remove during two seperate operations. Heyward also was left partially paralyzed by a stroke several years ago.

Nicknamed "Ironhead," Heyward ran for 4,301 yards and 30 touchdowns in 11 NFL seasons with New Orleans, Chicago, Atlanta, St. Louis and Indianapolis.

University of Pittsburgh coach Dave Wannstedt, who coached Heyward with the Bears, issued a statement on the Panthers' website.

"I will always remember him as a tremendous player who had an irrepressible attitude on and off the field," Wannestedt said. "We spoke just a few weeks ago and I was struck by the typical, upbeat 'Ironhead' attitude he displayed, despite his health.

"The thoughts and prayers of the entire Pitt family are with Craig's loved ones during this time of sorrow."
Old 05-28-2006, 03:05 AM   #6
Ohio Steeler
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2142

R.I.P
Old 05-28-2006, 10:15 AM   #7
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

Heyward was one of my favorite players as a child...
Old 05-28-2006, 10:59 AM   #8
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Sorry to hear that. I always enjoyed watching him play. He was a beast on the field.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 05:43 PM   #9
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

So long "Ironhead"

Kind of ironic having the nickname of "Ironhead" and passing away from a brain tumor.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 07:50 PM   #10
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

RIP...I was sad to see this news.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote