Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 08-14-2011, 08:50 AM   #51
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148
Default Re: Steelers @ Redskins Post Game Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklandrules View Post
More than any other coach, Mike Shanahan tries to win these games. He scripts his plays to attack the opponents weakness and leaves his starters in longer.

More than any other team, the Steelers script their plays to learn how their players will respond and provide experience, with little regard to the opponent and their weaknesses.

There are a lot of short memories on this site. Our starting D usually looks lackluster in the preseason, not just because Troy and James were out. But because coach Lebeau plays a fairly vanilla package. When they bring the heat in the preseason, it's not the complicated zone blitz packages that kick ass in the post season, but it's the basic LB rush.

When you're just a play or two away from a 3rd championship in 6 years, you normally don't go crazy by making over corrections ... you really want to make those minor tweaks to get you back on top. That's what I've seen this team do this off season. As far as this preseason game against the Skins ... I'm totally not concerned.
Well Said.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #52
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklandrules View Post
More than any other coach, Mike Shanahan tries to win these games. He scripts his plays to attack the opponents weakness and leaves his starters in longer.

More than any other team, the Steelers script their plays to learn how their players will respond and provide experience, with little regard to the opponent and their weaknesses.

There are a lot of short memories on this site. Our starting D usually looks lackluster in the preseason, not just because Troy and James were out. But because coach Lebeau plays a fairly vanilla package. When they bring the heat in the preseason, it's not the complicated zone blitz packages that kick ass in the post season, but it's the basic LB rush.

When you're just a play or two away from a 3rd championship in 6 years, you normally don't go crazy by making over corrections ... you really want to make those minor tweaks to get you back on top. That's what I've seen this team do this off season. As far as this preseason game against the Skins ... I'm totally not concerned.
I agree with you for the most part. However, there are players that are auditioning for jobs, and from what I could see, didn't do anything to earn them.

I'm not worried about starters or the score of the game. But, when your team has weaknesses that were exposed in the Superbowl & those weaknesses are still apparent the following season, then I begin to wonder. What was done in the offseason to address our secondary? Our o-line?
SteeleReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #53
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
I agree with you for the most part. However, there are players that are auditioning for jobs, and from what I could see, didn't do anything to earn them.

I'm not worried about starters or the score of the game. But, when your team has weaknesses that were exposed in the Superbowl & those weaknesses are still apparent the following season, then I begin to wonder. What was done in the offseason to address our secondary? Our o-line?

We gave up two interceptions and a fumble in the SB, we did more too beat ourselves than anything else.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #54
SteeleReign
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
We gave up two interceptions and a fumble in the SB, we did more too beat ourselves than anything else.
We didn't help ourselves for sure. But, if the Packers hadn't dropped a few wide-open passes, they would have won going away....our secondary was embarrased in that game.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #55
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Quote:
We didn't help ourselves for sure. But, if the Packers hadn't dropped a few wide-open passes, they would have won going away....our secondary was embarrased in that game.
Since we're playing the what if game, the Steelers left at LEAST two TDs on the field themselves. On Roethlisberger's second interception, Miller was wide open streaking down the sideline and he underthrew a wide open Wallace on what would have been another walk in TD. Not one of Roethlisberger's better performances.
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #56
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,410 Times in 2,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixburgher View Post
Since we're playing the what if game, the Steelers left at LEAST two TDs on the field themselves. On Roethlisberger's second interception, Miller was wide open streaking down the sideline and he underthrew a wide open Wallace on what would have been another walk in TD. Not one of Roethlisberger's better performances.
Agreed about Roethlisberger - it may have been the foot injury, but during the playoffs he made clutch plays in the Jets and Ravens wins but was not sharp in any of the post-season games

With a tough early schedule #7 needs to step it up starting next month
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #57
SteeleReign
Team President

Quote:
I'm not playing the "what if" game...I'm talking about what is...

Many are saying that a preseason game means nothing. I contend that it can point to some issues. I simply stated that our secondary was a huge problem last year, wasn't addressed in the off-season, and appears to be an issue going forward as evidenced by the Redskins game.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:11 PM   #58
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Quote:
I'm not playing the "what if" game...I'm talking about what is...

Many are saying that a preseason game means nothing. I contend that it can point to some issues. I simply stated that our secondary was a huge problem last year, wasn't addressed in the off-season, and appears to be an issue going forward as evidenced by the Redskins game.
They drafted Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen in back to back picks, so I wouldn't say they didn't address it and completely ignored the secondary. Whether they did enough to address the issue is certainly a valid question, which in my opinion is too early to answer. But I don't think a lackluster and uninspired performance in the opening preseason game against an opponent that obviously treated it like a regular season game is enough of a barometer to say they're in serious trouble. If they're still getting burned by scrubs like Rex Grossman when the vanilla schemes are dropped and the games are for keeps, then I'll become a little more concerned.

On a side note, Colt McCoy went 9 of 10 for 135 yards and a TD in three series against the Packers. Does that mean their pass defense is in trouble too?

Last edited by Sixburgher; 08-14-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #59
SteeleReign
Team President

Quote:
They drafted Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen in back to back picks, so I wouldn't say they didn't address it and completely ignored the secondary. Whether they did enough to address the issue is certainly a valid question, which in my opinion is too early to answer. But I don't think a lackluster and uninspired performance in the opening preseason game against an opponent that obviously treated it like a regular season game is enough of a barometer to say they're in serious trouble. If they're still getting burned by scrubs like Rex Grossman when the vanilla schemes are dropped and the games are for keeps, then I'll become a little more concerned.

On a side note, Colt McCoy went 9 of 10 for 135 yards and a TD in three series against the Packers. Does that mean their pass defense is in trouble too?
I hear what you're saying. I just can't help but be concerned when I see William Gay running around like a lost puppy out there. Hasn't he had enough time? Our other choice - McFadden - may be even worse. Sorry, but the Gay/McFadden tandem is going to hurt us a lot this year.

I'd love to see Crez, Allen, or Brown step up and take the CB2 spot. Crezdon should be playing his ass off to be a starter, but even he looked lost out there.

It's ironic that Tomlin was a CB and secondary coach, but the position we seem to have the most difficulty developing is CB.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #60
SteeleReign
Team President

Quote:
Maybe it just means that Colt is now a stud QB?