Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 05-15-2005, 11:44 PM   #1
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Conservative or Steeler football ?

Do you call playing Steeler football,as we all know it... being consersative ? Does it not seem that we dont actually game plan for a team, but rather, we just play our own game and see what happens? Im not saying thats necessarily a bad thing, nor do I think we should stray from what we do best.. but do also think that game planning for a teams weak spot or trying to exploit a certain player or situation should happen alittle more often then it seemingly does ?
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 11:52 PM   #2
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328
Default Re: Conservative or Steeler football ?

Quote:
Do you call playing Steeler football,as we all know it... being consersative ? Does it not seem that we dont actually game plan for a team, but rather, we just play our own game and see what happens?
Wow......nicely put! I have never looked at it like that, but I would say you are exactly right (If I knew how to rep you I would) It is kinda like when you play your buddy in Madden, and you just call the plays you know work, and go from there.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:01 AM   #3
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

the little thumbs up/thumbs down symbols down in the corner of your user information box on each thread you make, just mouse over one of them..it'll let you add to or decrease a users repoints. I'll put up a screenshot in the announcements forum in the User Reputation thread.

And dont get me wrong, when u get to the playoffs, u dance w/ who brought you there, I 100% agree, however, I think u need to mix in some strategy against your opponent and attack what you can as well.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:24 AM   #4
geran42o
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
when u get to the playoffs, u dance w/ who brought you there, I 100% agree, however, I think u need to mix in some strategy against your opponent and attack what you can as well.
I agree 100% with you here Blitz. We all love the way the Steelers Play the game, however come playoff time we should be mixing it up some cause every other team knows what we're gonna do, and we get exploited time and time again

geran42o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:01 AM   #5
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by geran42o
I agree 100% with you here Blitz. We all love the way the Steelers Play the game, however come playoff time we should be mixing it up some cause every other team knows what we're gonna do, and we get exploited time and time again

I couldn't agree more.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 12:45 PM   #6
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Don't get me wrong,I love our tough,run-it-down-thier-throat,beat them up kind of style that the Steelers run.

However,I think we need to mix it up more.The Steelers have no problem mixing it up a bit in the regular season (e.g. Bettis' TD pass again the Jets),but in the regular season it's run-run-pass-punt/field goal/interception was thrown on 3rd down.

HOW ABOUT PASSING ON FIRST DOWN SOMETIMES?!

I was watching NFL Network OnDemans last night,they had this thing about coaches...and Herm Edwards said,"sometimes your gameplan doens't work and you have to change it up a bit".Well,I yelled "TELL THAT TO COWHER!" and it woke my Browns fan dad up.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 02:49 PM   #7
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

One of the best coaches in the league at game planning for his opponet is bellicheck.. I can still remember several years ago, when the pats played us, and they did nothing but throw the ball, play after play after play..they spread us out like nobody had done in years.. and he got the idea from watching game film of the bengals and john kitna, when they lit us up for 40+ points and he had over 400 yds passing. None of us were expecting that, and obviously we werent ready for it that day. then the raiders followed suit, and it was all down hill from there for the first part of the season.. man we couldnt get off the field on 3rd down to save our life !!
Old 05-16-2005, 03:16 PM   #8
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I do beleive we get a little predictable at times. But when you run the Bus down peoples throats week after week and it works, then what the hell. But on the other hand we also seem to use more trick plays than any team in the league, which makes me want to believe we are not conservative. The first pats game this year we saw opputunities when Ty Law faked like he was hurt, and took full advantage of them. Then we played NE in the playoffs and acted as if we had never seen them before. We play well in close games, we play well with the lead, with Ben and companies we can catch up but don`t play as well being behind by alot. We need to use our gifts like Hines Ward, and El more often, if Heath Miller is as good as advertised then we can`t be so predictable.

How many times have we seen third down and long, say 3rd and 12, and run a draw play, who doesn`t want to put there fist threw the tv. I want to play more wide open football. But I do love our ball control smash mouth football, and I am a huge Cowher fan.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:53 PM   #9
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

We've never been a good come from behind team, its just not our style. we play it close, run the ball, eat the clock, use play action, high percentage short to medium passes and the occasional long ball. Although in the last couple years, we've been much more adept to being able to play in a shootout or traditional steeler football..so its alot better than it used to be. But still, you just gotta wonder sometimes.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:34 PM   #10
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292

I agree with everyone here. I think we need to stick to our game plan...run it down their throats and wear the opposing defense down. However, we need to open it up a little bit...be a little less predictable. I think this year might be the year you see a little change in our offense. Now that Ben has a better feel of the offense and a year of experience under his belt, I believe they will put the ball in his hands a little more. I also think the addition of Miller will give Ben more options. And if El steps up...I believe you will see a different offense! Not a Colts type offense, because the Steelers will always run the ball, but I think we will see them pass a little more on 1st and 2nd downs (at least I hope so....I can't go another season of run, run, pass on 3rd and long...it's driving me nuts!)