Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 05-16-2005, 06:42 PM   #11
Ironman
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 320
Default Re: Conservative or Steeler football ?

I think there's a certain arrogance to keeping the same style even when you might need to play it different to win. NFL coaches and defenses are so adaptable to a team's tendencies that you have to change it up now and then. I love the "line-up and run'em over" approach as all of you do, but the NFL is not the place to stay one-dimensional. In college, when the athletes and studs are few and far between... you can get a way with it. The NFL is a thinking man's game as well as a physical game. Sometimes I just think the Steelers neglect the cerebral aspects and try to win on sheer brawn. That may work the 1st time you play a team, but in the play-offs... teams will exploit you.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:30 PM   #12
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

I don't think it's conservative. Blocking Wide outs, pulling guards, trick plays can also be called aggresive. I see us as the best defense is a good offense. Not that Indy type that puts up 45 points, but that ground game one that puts up 45 minutes of work. If you keep the other teams off the field, you usually do pretty well. The change I'd like to see is short passes/screens can be just as good as runs. High %, keeps the clock and chains moving. Nothing hurts a defense more than knowing you were out there for 12-15 plays, 8-9 minutes, and you couldn't get off the field.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:31 PM   #13
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I just hate to pick on our play selections or conservativness, because I don`t won`t to seem like I disagree with Coach Cowher. I do disagree with him somewhat , but i also like him as a head coach, and would like to see him here another 15 years or so.

Steelers of the 70`s some of you remember. Run, run, run, and tenacious defense. But come big playoff games or Superbowls, the ball was put in Bradshaw`s hands. Throw throw throw, Big Defense. Nothing wrong with changing it up now and then.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:30 PM   #14
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
I just hate to pick on our play selections or conservativness, because I don`t won`t to seem like I disagree with Coach Cowher. I do disagree with him somewhat , but i also like him as a head coach, and would like to see him here another 15 years or so.

Steelers of the 70`s some of you remember. Run, run, run, and tenacious defense. But come big playoff games or Superbowls, the ball was put in Bradshaw`s hands. Throw throw throw, Big Defense. Nothing wrong with changing it up now and then.
I agree Cleve. I really like Coach Cowher and feel he is a great coach. I know we should stick to what we are good with, but we do need to change it up a bit. Hoping this year will be the year we get our fifth!
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:52 PM   #15
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

coach cowher is a great coach, there's not disputing that.. the way he coaches, the players respond to him,and his record speaks for itself.. but I think you have to be able to adapt and be alittle different, do somethings teams dont expect when u hit the post season.. obviously playing mistake free football, and tough defense, and solid special teams is a given.. but when your predictable, sooner or later people will exploit you. we all know its happened.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 07:24 PM   #16
Ironman
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 320

I hate to say this... I really hate to say this... but the Pats and the Eagles have it down. Teams are worried the week they play those two teams with how their going to defend them. Teams can game plan for Steelers week in training camp... the formula never changes. I love BC. I love the smashmouth game... but sometimes you have to hit a guy in the mouth and then throw over him while his cleaning the blood from his teeth.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:38 PM   #17
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Good Take Ironman you would think that with the way we go through O coordinators that things would change over the years. Then everyone wants our o coor, go figure. I can`t figure it out? With Big Ben in the fold now, Heath Miller, Hines Ward, a stable of backs, El a great Oline, and hopefully Wilson or Gibson stepping. Cowher will have so many weapons that he won`t have a choice but to open it up. Lets see.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:26 PM   #18
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292

I hope your right Cleve
Old 05-19-2005, 12:16 AM   #19
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

How about this...NE and PHI can do several/many things well. Can they do one thing great yes. NE brings you crazy looks. But we beat it, heck MIA even did it. PHI brings pressure fast. Someone will get to you. Again, we beat it and so did some others. But for us, we are in the same category, but what is our one thing...power running. Now for the difference. NE and PHI can do these things great maybe 5-10 times a game. In my eyes, overall talent plus these handful of snaps can create a consistent winner. But look at us. All 16 teams last season KNEW WE WERE GOING TO RUN THE BALL. End result = 15-1. They knew it was coming and they couldn't do anything about it. I don't want to watch us hoping we make a sack or get a pick or throw a bomb to win. I want to see us get 3 yards on a screen on first, 5 yards up the middle, then 3 yards off the left on third. All of this on the first series is great cause you can see it in the other teams' eyes. They lined up 8-9 and couldn't stop it 15/16 tries last year. That makes for a long day. As for when the postseason comes, it still comes down to three things to win, effective running, good 3rd down defense, and minimize turnovers.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:04 PM   #20
STEEL-MAN
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 391

It comes down to execution, not dropping balls and turning the ball over or giving points away. Opportunities are always there when the execution is there! B.Cowher when you think about it has done a very good job over the years with average players and in big games. Maybe to good a times raising our expectation and being left down when they had played poorly in playoff games. Think about it how far could we go with
Washington and Scott starting in the back field?
STEEL-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote